• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I think it is somewhere in that range, but the amount they have up front from product placement and other merchandising is unknown. I work at a decent sized post-secondary institution (25,000+ students) and based on the uptick in Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman t-shirts I see the students wearing this year I think that Warner/DC should be doing well with their merchandising opportunities as a result of the film.

Product placements can be very lucrative:

http://business.time.com/2013/06/04/superman-the-sell-out-man-of-steel-has-over-100-promotional-partners/

http://adage.com/article/news/superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160m-promotions/241822/

And Batman v. Superman didn't skimp on them:

http://www.thewrap.com/batman-v-superman-the-most-blatant-product-placements-from-jeep-to-jolly-ranchers/

I'll bet these covered at least half the cost of making this movie. And it is something that a live-action film can leverage but an animated film cannot.

Edited by rjrjr

Although it was mentioned earlier Warner already clarified the target number is more in the $750-$800 MM range, that 'must be a billion dollars' theme will probably continue to come up. Especially since there have been some huge hits over the past few years that broke box office records. So now everything from this genre needs to be over-the-top.

I do have to agree on product placement it does make a huge difference, as has been pointed out a few time. rjrjr is right - Man of Steel definitely excelled at this.

Man of Steel (2013)

Domestic: $291,045,518 (43.6%)

Foreign: $377,000,000 (56.4%)

Worldwide: $668,045,518

+ $170 MM in product placement revenue.

Superman is already a $170m brand superhero as Man of Steel tops the product placement charts

While promotional tie-ins and product placement are nothing new in Hollywood – James Bond has been requesting vodka martinis, driving an Aston Martin and consulting an Omega watch for 50 years – the sheer number of partners for Man of Steel is.

The clamour to reference products has been so strong that Warner Bros has almost 100 promotional partners lined up, which has earned it $170m (£109m) already.

tl;dr this entire 636 page thread, so pardon me if this was mentioned before..

On the /Film podcast (which is great if you don't listen) about this movie, they were saying WB said they had to break $1bb to turn any profit at all... not just as a benchmark.

Yikes.

edit: this episode here.. Around 35 minutes in..

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-360-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-guest-drew-mcweeny-from-hitfix/

1 billion is the number.

Why? Because it was critically savaged by the critics.

To not hit 1 billion and get slammed by the critics is a double whammy!

Another thing I am noticing about Batman v. Superman compared to the Deadpool and Star Wars The Force Awakens timelines is Deadpool and STAR WARS:TFA continued to be talked about,while the slow fade for Batman v.Superman has begun.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

tl;dr this entire 636 page thread, so pardon me if this was mentioned before..

On the /Film podcast (which is great if you don't listen) about this movie, they were saying WB said they had to break $1bb to turn any profit at all... not just as a benchmark.

Yikes.

edit: this episode here.. Around 35 minutes in..

http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-ep-360-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-guest-drew-mcweeny-from-hitfix/

Drew McWeeny is involved? Likely pure speculation then.

I don't think anyone will know how much they spent on marketing, but if production costs were at the reported $250M then most of that would have been covered in product placement revenue before the film was released.

Would they have spent another $750M on marketing? I highly doubt it.

One thing was Batman and Superman were very popular before BVS.

So what would the marketing benefit the most?

Wonder Woman film?

Flash film?

JLA film(which they don`t really dwell on too much in BVS)?

BVS film-related-merchandise ?

1 billion is the number.

Another thing I am noticing about Batman v. Superman compared to the Deadpool and Star Wars The Force Awakens timelines is Deadpool and STAR WARS:TFA continued to be talked about,while the slow fade for Batman v.Superman has begun.

It's a big assumption critics hated it, so the movie must do $1 Billion worldwide to overcome this. And comparing everything to Deadpool is ignoring the fact part of its charm was it being a fresh approach to the traditional superhero genre. You can't keep doing that with every superhero movie. That's why it is unique.

DC/Warner took a risk here in going with Snyder's next story of Batman and Superman being played against each other by an evil schemer that knows all about them. To even casual comic book fans, they will know about The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, and other general references about anti-heroes and alternate universe stories. Although this movie was made with comic fans in mind with all the references to many characters and stories (including Injustice: Gods Among Us), it ran the risk of losing non-comic book viewers. And that's some of what is happening.

Whenever I am asked about the movie at work over the months, one of the comments made by those not familiar with all the stories over the years is, 'Why the heck would two superheroes fight one another? That's really dumb!' Once I explain both characters are played against each other by a super-evil genius, most times it makes sense. But it's still a distraction to non-comic book folks.

Civil War may not run into this hurdle because it had many movies to ease the character personalities into the new film. Especially how their philosophies differ so drastically. We shall see.

Yeah I think you are right on that, at least from my view point. I went to it on opening weekend and honestly when people ask me about it I say, "Eh it was ok. If you waited for it to hit redbox/amazon/streaming then you wouldn't be missing much."

Where-as when I saw Deadpool when people asked me about it I told them they had to see it, it was an awesome movie.

1 billion is the number.

It's a big assumption critics hated it, so the movie must do $1 Billion worldwide to overcome this. And comparing everything to Deadpool is ignoring the fact part of its charm was it being a fresh approach to the traditional superhero genre. You can't keep doing that with every superhero movie. That's why it is unique.

DC/Warner took a risk here in going with Snyder's next story of Batman and Superman being played against each other by an evil schemer that knows all about them. To even casual comic book fans, they will know about The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, and other general references about anti-heroes and alternate universe stories. Although this movie was made with comic fans in mind with all the references to many characters and stories (including Injustice: Gods Among Us), it ran the risk of losing non-comic book viewers. And that's some of what is happening.

Whenever I am asked about the movie at work over the months, one of the comments made by those not familiar with all the stories over the years is, 'Why the heck would two superheroes fight one another? That's really dumb!' Once I explain both characters are played against each other by a super-evil genius, most times it makes sense. But it's still a distraction to non-comic book folks.

Civil War may not run into this hurdle because it had many movies to ease the character personalities into the new film. Especially how their philosophies differ so drastically. We shall see.

Good points.

My contention was if BVS had just gotten lukewarm reviews it hitting just shy under 1 billion would have been fine

or if it got overwhelmingly positive reviews it hitting just under 1 billion would have been fine.

It seems to have though missed both objectives that I would have been shocked if told this a month ago.

It got many bad reviews by the critics.

It might not do at least 1 billion. :o

Warner and many fans thought it would at least get many positive reviews and easily do 1 billion.

Remember, Batman V. Superman was considered a no-brainer to do at least 1 billion a month ago.

To have trouble hitting that mark is fascinating now.

Remember, Batman V. Superman was considered a no-brainer to do at least 1 billion a month ago.

To have trouble hitting that mark is fascinating now.

I definitely assumed a no-brainer $1 Billion movie because you have Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in a live movie together for the first time. Not realizing the twists and turns in the story are throwing off general viewers due to the disconnect with Batman and Superman initially not being fans of one-another. I thought the story would be more straightforward about Lex.

Once you see the film, it does all add up how all the events connected to Lex. But only if you are pulling together from the Lois Lane desert scene to the behind-closed-doors deals with politicians and even the Kryptonite discovery scene in the Indian Ocean near the World Engine wreckage.

I do think a lot of people were hoping for a huge $$$ from the film; compared to the early Marvel films (who had really heard of Iron Man?), this movie has all three of DC's most recognizable heroes at center stage. Should have been huge.

I think if the film were a bit lighter on its feet -- less ponderous storytelling, more inspiring/family oriented -- it would have done stronger numbers financially. A lot of critics complained that it was too joyless, heavy, and muddled for its own good...and I think a fair number of viewers thought the same (I was one of them).

That said, it's a more somber world that DC is shooting for. That in and of itself will limit some of its audience. I just wish the storytelling aspect was clearer, more character-driven, and more logical overall.

I do think JLA and WW could be really strong films, however, but I would vote for a director with a better balance of story, character, and special effects.

It's in it's second week. It's coming off one of the biggest openings in HISTORY.

It has minimum, another 3 months it'll run in theaters.

Dark Knight Rises was down 76% from its opening Friday, and it still did a billion dollars worldwide.

Avengers Age of Ultron was down 75% on Friday and 76% on Monday, it still did a billion dollars worldwide.

The final numbers on this will turn out just fine.

This movie was a win for DC/Warner, regardless of what the critics say. It's only a question now of how much of a win.

Doesn't the studio only pull in about 50-60% of the international take? I remember reading that on the boards somewhere along the line.

Dan

40% intl other than China, 25% China. 55% us

Edited by paperheart

If I wanted to go back to my boring economic classes in college this thread has now achieved that memory.

Christ who cares about how much it makes once the movie clearly showed a massive profit margin.

Anyone who thinks this movie isn't a successful in terms of $ created if the movie doesn;t grossly bring in 1 billion is stupid.

If I wanted to go back to my boring economic classes in college this thread has now achieved that memory.

Christ who cares about how much it makes once the movie clearly showed a massive profit margin.

Anyone who thinks this movie isn't a successful in terms of $ created if the movie doesn;t grossly bring in 1 billion is stupid.

:facepalm:

It`s not just the billion,but it was also critically savaged to go along with it that could be a concern.

That`s the point.

One or the other it`s just fine,but to have missed both targets of 1 billion and less than 30 percent on Rotten Tomatoes is a red light.

Does anybody really think a second BVS would be greenlighted now?

This is the disappointment.

Warner/DC shot their full wad,and it didn`t live up to expectations both critically and box office wise.

This viewpoint is coming from somebody who defended the movie.

What do you think the non-kool-aid drinkers are thinking about BVS?

Damage has been done.

I am now thinking a Man of Steel 2 movie might have been a better option than going right for the big splash with BVS.

hm

It`s not just the billion,but it was also critically savaged to go along with it that could be a concern.

That`s the point.

One or the other it`s just fine,but to have missed both targets of 1 billion and less than 30 percent on Rotten Tomatoes is a red light.

Warner/DC shot their full wad,and it didn`t live up to expectations both critically and box office wise.

Damage has been done.

I am now thinking a Man of Steel 2 movie might have been a better option than going right for the big splash with BVS.

hm

Nobody is saying the movie did not make money. Based on current projections BvS is going to be around $900 Mil. This is going to net WB about 150 mil. When people are saying the movie failed, they mean it has failed to meet expectations, not failed to be profitable. This movie should not be struggling to hit $1 bil. It should have had the potential to get near Avengers numbers at $1.5 bil. So from the expectations standpoint, it clearly failed to hit the mark. When you put your two most known and loved characters in one film, expectations go up. And like it or not, from a money standpoint for big tent pole movies 1 billion is the current goalpost.

The critical aspect is also a failure, which again has nothing to do with an individual loving BvS. Nolan's Batman films were praised by the critics, most of the Marvel movies have been at least well received. It was clear that the film companies had figured out how to make superhero movies that both fans and critics would like. With the amount of time, and money spent on this film the critical response should have at least been on par with MoS, or the middle level Marvel films (from a critic standpoint). I am not sure what happened during the production of this film where they were not able to reach at least that benchmark. WB knows how to make movies that will at least be liked if not loved by critics. So what happened here?

Not as successful, but Amazing Spider-Man made over $700 mil. It made Sony a good amount of money. But due to critical response, bad word of mouth, and failing to meet box office expectations, the movie was still considered a failure. That is why Sony was convinced to abandon the franchise and sell the character back to Disney.

Edited by drotto

That`s the point.

Damage has been done.

hm

this movie should have been man of steel 2, with LEX LUTHOR doing everything Batman did, with his buildings crashing at the beginning in metropolis, getting angrier and more fearful of superman, and him testing superman and eventually framing superman, but Lex building a kryptonite powersuit, and only releasing doomsday as a last resort after being unable to defeat supes. LEX could be the one having crazy dreams, and possibly being influenced by darkseid, who wants superman out of the way before coming to earth.

You could still use wonder woman the same way, still have superman question his faith, use lois more effectively as she investigates all the tests and framing of superman, still blow up the senate, etc.

But then you get an understanding of Lex, and don't have to force feed us Batman and extra plot to attempt to make everything tie.