• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Here's why the $1 billion benchmark for Batman v. Superman is real.

It's not just that it's a superhero movie with two of the most iconic superheroes ever -- it's a modern summer blockbuster.

And we've live in an age where those should gross $1 bn. worldwide (with the Imax inflation & incredibly more international screens just 7-8 years ago).

Furious 7 did $1.5 bn.

Jurassic World did $1.67 bn.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 did $1 bn. 10 years ago

Heck - people _hated_ Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and it did $1 bn. 5 years ago

In the age of the modern blockbuster (esp. sequel, which this is -- to Man of Steel), $1 bn. for a summer tentpole is no longer an unreasonable benchmark.

Amazing Spider-Man 2, meanwhile, only did $757 million worldwide and was considered such a failure that they cancelled the planned sequel and two spin-offs in favor of a reboot.

You can argue a $750 million vs. $800 million bar for break-even all you want, it's still hard to spin that after the Nolan movies, etc. Batman v. Superman can't even match Iron Man III's numbers without even adjusting for inflation.

March is part of summer?

A cool article to get us back on track.

Batman V Superman’s Knightmare Sequence is NOT a Dream

Storyboard artist Jay Oliva has offered his own interpretation of the scene, which should make perfect sense to those already steeped in DC Comics lore – and surprise those who missed the real plot twist being delivered.

Normally a storyboard artist’s interpretation wouldn’t be given a colossal amount of weight, but Oliva is no stranger to DC fans, having done the same work for Man of Steel, The Flash TV series, the upcoming Wonder Woman film, as well as directing the animated DC features Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Assault on Arkham, Justice League: War, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox and countless others.

“You want to know the answer? Okay… you’ve watched The Flashpoint Paradox - my movie - right? In the DC Universe in the comics, there’s this thing where– it’s a little different than the Back to The Future thing where you can go back in time and change your threads and stuff. But in DC, when you go back in time, you create this ‘Time Boom’ kind of thing where lots of things change.

“Okay, so let me just tell you this. Again… I don’t know if this is Zack’s thinking, but this is mine: what if that isn’t a dream sequence? What if what you saw was a Time Boom, a latent memory from the future when Flash comes back? If you look at the cut, he doesn’t go to sleep! He’s waiting for the [Lexcorp file decryption] and suddenly this [Knightmare sequence] comes in, and he’s jogged out of it seeing his own death. And what does he see? He sees Flash. And if you’re a DC fan, you know what’s happening. You know that Flash going back in time, that memory is now coming back to him… mind you, it’s jumbled.”

“The thing is that, it’s meant to be so kind of subtle, most audiences just think of it as a dream. And it’s meant to be that way. It’s just like in the comics when there might be some shadowy figure standing in the background, you don’t know who that character is until five issues down the line. The main purpose of that in the film – because people will probably say ‘why even have it, if it’s not going to be followed through?’ – I’m going to say: ‘Well, it’s there because it actually adds to… Bruce Wayne’s kind of mania. Because he sees this memory. He doesn’t quite know exactly what he saw, all it does is tell him is that Superman is bad."

“And remember, when Flash goes back in time, he tells him ‘you were right about him.’ He doesn’t say exactly who ‘him’ is. The average audience member, and even Bruce Wayne, is going to think that he’s right about Superman, when in fact he’s referring to someone else.”

:o

I thought 'him' was Superman like many people.

:ohnoez:

It's not just that it's a superhero movie with two of the most iconic superheroes ever -- it's a modern summer blockbuster.

And we've live in an age where those should gross $1 bn. worldwide (with the Imax inflation & incredibly more international screens just 7-8 years ago).

Furious 7 did $1.5 bn.

In the age of the modern blockbuster (esp. sequel, which this is -- to Man of Steel), $1 bn. for a summer tentpole is no longer an unreasonable benchmark.

Amazing Spider-Man 2, meanwhile, only did $757 million worldwide and was considered such a failure that they cancelled the planned sequel and two spin-offs in favor of a reboot.

You can argue a $750 million vs. $800 million bar for break-even all you want, it's still hard to spin that after the Nolan movies, etc. Batman v. Superman can't even match Iron Man III's numbers without even adjusting for inflation.

March is part of summer?

It is now.

The Hunger Games ($700 million plus) and Alice & Wonderland ($1 bn. plus) proved spring tentpole releases could work with $100 million plus opening weekends.

And then Furious 7 and Captain America: Winter Soldier proved likewise for April.

20 years ago all of those films would have opened after Memorial Day.

There was a question about Wonder Woman's abilities during a key fight scene late in the movie, and how she was able to inflict some damage that otherwise she wouldn't be able to.

Wonder Woman's Origin Story Will Go In This Direction

While being interviewed at "The Hollywood Masters" series at the Loyola Marymount School of Film and TV, Batman V Superman producer Charles Roven stated that Wonder Woman would be a goddess in the film, specifically a demigod, and that her father is Zeus, the king of the Greek Gods. Wonder Woman’s origin has been redone many times since she was first created in 1940. Before DC’s New 52 relaunch, Diana was constructed from clay by Hippolyta (who wanted a daughter), and was brought to life by the Greek deities. In the New 52, however, she is the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus, and recently became the new God of War after killing Ares. It's quite the promotion.

Superman has a weakness to magic, making Wonder Woman one of the few beings who can truly harm Superman. If movie Superman has this weakness and ever goes rogue, Wonder Woman might be the only one who can take him down without kryptonite.

:o

I wonder why Warner think it's just the critics who don't like it? I'm a movie goer, I went and watched it and did not like it. Just because you buy a ticket and watch the film, it should not be assumed you like it?

Warner wants to wake up and realise it was a pretty bad film in comparison to the Batman films, and should realise the box office does not make a film good.

We all wanted to see this film, so course it's going to do well at the box office.

I liked Zack Snyder's Watchmen, 300 a lot, but the blue prints were there, his other more recent films such as Sucker Punch and Man of Steel, no thanks!

Batman v Superman: 3 Ways In Which Gal Gadot Totally Proved Her Critics Wrong!

Physical Appearance!

What her critics didn't realize was that Gadot had served in the Israeli Defense Forces and did all her own stunts in the Fast & Furious films that she starred in. Consequently, after nine months of rigorous training including: swordsmanship, Kung Fu, kickboxing, capoeira and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, the Israeli actress was able to put around 17lbs of muscle, thus obtaining the physique of a true Amazonian warrior.

Her acting skills!

Despite not having too much screen time, Gadot was able to masterfully portray multiple facets of Prince's personality, showing both how strong she is, but also how protective and altruistic she can be. Overall, in Dawn of Justice, Wonder Woman was mysterious, sexy, menacing and extremely badass.

Being a total badass!

The scenes that featured Gal Gadot were some of the coolest and most enjoyable to watch in the whole movie. She perfectly managed to capture Wonder Woman's strength, independence and charm in every scene that she was in.

Both Affleck and Gadot proved everyone wrong with their performances.

Wonder Woman showing up in front of Batman is one of my favourite scenes from the movie.

Both Affleck and Gadot proved everyone wrong with their performances.

Wonder Woman showing up in front of Batman is one of my favourite scenes from the movie.

I bet he was happy as well.

Furious 7 did $1.5 bn.

March is part of summer?

It is now.

The Hunger Games ($700 million plus) and Alice & Wonderland ($1 bn. plus) proved spring tentpole releases could work with $100 million plus opening weekends.

And then Furious 7 and Captain America: Winter Soldier proved likewise for April.

20 years ago all of those films would have opened after Memorial Day.

You win a famous MARVEL NO-PRIZE for that non-answer... :D

The movie opened only a few days after the end of WINTER. A "SUMMER TENTPOLE" it isn't :sumo:

BTW, I think it broke the Box Office record for a MARCH opening weekend...

Physical Appearance!

What her critics didn't realize was that Gadot had served in the Israeli Defense Forces and did all her own stunts in the Fast & Furious films that she starred in. Consequently, after nine months of rigorous training including: swordsmanship, Kung Fu, kickboxing, capoeira and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, the Israeli actress was able to put around 17lbs of muscle, thus obtaining the physique of a true Amazonian warrior.

She can still use a few more cheeseburgers if you ask me :baiting:

Physical Appearance!

No need. The cameras add 10 pounds, right? lol

Physical Appearance!

She can still use a few more cheeseburgers falafel sandwiches if you ask me :baiting:

Physical Appearance!

:roflmao:

never-give-up.gif