• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I love the fact this movie will pull a profit and probably a decent one. If anything, it shows the population has not been oversaturated with superhero flicks which is good for us comic book guys. However, I have to believe there are some theater owners that are gnashing their teeth over the money they could have made if this movie just tweaked a few things. My guess is that WB learns from this, makes the needed tweaks and will have some huge profits going forward. I especially like the idea of Afleck getting the Batman movies to act and direct.

I have to agree.

And if this is what allowed David Ayer to request additional action footage for Suicide Squad, it is only going to make his movie that much better. Though it is already looking wild.

I love the fact this movie will pull a profit and probably a decent one. If anything, it shows the population has not been oversaturated with superhero flicks which is good for us comic book guys. However, I have to believe there are some theater owners that are gnashing their teeth over the money they could have made if this movie just tweaked a few things. My guess is that WB learns from this, makes the needed tweaks and will have some huge profits going forward. I especially like the idea of Afleck getting the Batman movies to act and direct.

I have to agree.

And if this is what allowed David Ayer to request additional action footage for Suicide Squad, it is only going to make his movie that much better. Though it is already looking wild.

In Hollywood, profit is on a continuously sliding scale and tethered to public perception. BvS has already tanked for many folks due to the critical consensus and rapid fall off of ticket sales.

Suicide Squad is an unknown. hm

Additional action footage means more $$$ into the production budget. If the increased footage makes it a better film then it should fare well in the fall, but by the same token more ticket sales will then be needed to reach perceived profitability.

No dog in this hunt, just stating the facts.

In Hollywood, profit is on a continuously sliding scale and tethered to public perception. BvS has already tanked for many folks due to the critical consensus and rapid fall off of ticket sales.

Suicide Squad is an unknown. hm

Additional action footage means more $$$ into the production budget. If the increased footage makes it a better film then it should fare well in the fall, but by the same token more ticket sales will then be needed to reach perceived profitability.

No dog in this hunt, just stating the facts.

giphy.gif

:baiting:

But on a more serious note...

giphy.gif

lol

ISuicide Squad is an unknown. hm

An unknown lately in capable hands has worked in that movie's favor. Look at the zaniness of Deadpool that if you peel the covers back really is not a deep plot. And with Guardians, the story and characters were so fresh people went nuts for it.

I wouldn't discount something being an unknown as instant failure.

But on a more serious note...

giphy.gif

lol

ISuicide Squad is an unknown. hm

An unknown lately in capable hands has worked in that movie's favor. Look at the zaniness of Deadpool that if you peel the covers back really is not a deep plot. And with Guardians, the story and characters were so fresh people went nuts for it.

I wouldn't discount something being an unknown as instant failure.

Not discounting it's prospects at all. Fingers are crossed that it satisfies the expectations of it's audience and shows a significant profit. :wishluck:

Atq7vAH.png

:applause:

BvS won't cross $1 billion. So the question now is, will BvS cross the $900 million mark? hm

Don't be so sure. And yes...

:popcorn:

The thing the revenue ratio chart omits is marketing and other non-production related expenses.

Apparently the P&A on BvS was conservatively estimated at well over $160 million. Marketing expenses should be calculated into revenue ratios, even though some advertising costs can be offset by product placement.

Alas, I don't know the marketing costs for other features on the list, but it varies dependent upon the size of release and expectations.

It clearly underperformed - both critically and (therefore) box office-wise.

This film should have had no problem breaking $1 bn. and likely end up closer to $1.5 bn.

That it couldn't come close to films like Iron Man 3 or Furious 7, nor even match Deadpool domestically - is sad.

But as Forbes' Scott Mendelson points out, the timing of the announcement of the Ben Affleck solo Batman movie is both an admission of failure and one of surrender.

He also eloquently lays out the difference in risk-taking and world-building between Marvel & DC thus far.

Check it out - it's worth reading:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/04/13/ben-affleck-batman-movie-announcement-is-good-news-at-a-bad-time/#51c130315e06

The thing the revenue ratio chart omits is marketing and other non-production related expenses.

Apparently the P&A on BvS was conservatively estimated at well over $160 million. Marketing expenses should be calculated into revenue ratios, even though some advertising costs can be offset by product placement.

Alas, I don't know the marketing costs for other features on the list, but it varies dependent upon the size of release and expectations.

What you are lightly touching on is the full balance sheet of a movie, which in the end would reveal the final Profit Ratio/profit of a movie. Unfortunately, when comparing movies throughout the decades items like Marketing Budget Expenses are not known for all movies. So I had to go with the consistent known credits and debits to at least deliver a consistent Revenue Ratio. But there are additional items you are missing.

Debits

- Accounting for product placement revenue

- Country and regional tax breaks to encourage location use

- Concession stand unique goods (cups, cup covers, shirts, boxes, posters)

- Four-wall rental revenue (what served as rentals before movie stores existed)

- VHS/Laser Disc/DVD/Blu-Ray sales

- TV and streaming distribution revenue

- Merchandising (shirts, hats, action figures, posters, etc.)

Credits

- Marketing budget (modern movies are easier to guesstimate)

- Creative team profit sharing

- Actor profit sharing (some are publicized like Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Nicholson; most are not)

- Domestic distribution revenue (this is 50%)

- International distribution revenue

- VHS/Laser Disc/DVD/Blu-Ray production costs

To be consistent across all movies, you would have to find these details where possible.

Atq7vAH.png

BvS won't cross $1 billion. So the question now is, will BvS cross the $900 million mark? hm

Where is this magic $200 mil. going to come from at this point? The longer R release? I doubt a critically panned move is going to see $150 mil more profit from that. Plus you now will get true summer movie competition. Not only will that cater to a limited audience, but the number of screens will be a fraction of what the original release was, and you will not get the IMAX or as many 3D screens. Regardless of what WB does 1 bil is basically a pipe dream at this point.

Edited by drotto

In looking over the ratings sites to determine BvS's feedback so far, there seems to be a variance across the three scoring sites.

eh3hXxj.jpg

Internet Movie Database (IMDb): The numerical rating is based off of votes from users on a 1-10 star scale. The ratings are then normalized using a bayesian filtering formula that strips out "outlier" overly negative or positive ratings since IMDb has to deal with "spam" votes with it's open registration system.

Rotten Tomatoes: While Rotten Tomatoes/Flixster offers user-voting - "Tomatometer" - the primary rating vehicle is a measure of the number of "FRESH" reviews as a percentage of overall reviews. The reviews counted into the Tomatometer is from a discrete list of selected critics/publications that remains uniform across the whole site (usually professional, but always prescreened based off of specific criteria including the requirement to have reviewed at least 100 films over the recent two years).

Metacritic: The Metascore is not a percentage: it's a weighted average of scores from top critics, normalized on a scale from 0 to 100. Which critics? A prestigious group of 30-50 writers from the most recognizable names in the industry (New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Sun-Times, etc.). Metacritic editors must convert critics' scores to fit their model, with some methods more controversial than others.

Since the IMDb ratings are based on users, I took a look at its demographic breakout compared to ratings provided across 244,318 users.

EGXiUls.jpg

Oddly enough, the general score is right in line with our little 192 vote Median and Mode scores. Though once I posted the score results yesterday, someone slipped in an extra 1.0 rating.

:(

Atq7vAH.png

Where is this magic $200 mil. going to come from at this point? The longer R release? I doubt a critically panned movie is going to see $150 mil more profit from that. Plus you now will get true summer movie competition. Not only will that cater to a limited audience, but the number of screens will be a fraction of what the original release was, and you will not get the IMAX or as many 3D screens. Regardless of what WB does 1 bil is basically a pipe dream at this point.

A "critically panned movie" that's made $800 million so far...

Box Office Mojo's predicting Batman v. Superman will come in 4th this weekend, after The Jungle Book, Barbershop 3, & The Boss.

It's losing 597 theaters. Estimate is a 50% drop, which gives it just shy of another $12 million.

Box Office Mojo's predicting Batman v. Superman will come in 4th this weekend, after The Jungle Book, Barbershop 3, & The Boss.

It's losing 597 theaters. Estimate is a 50% drop, which gives it just shy of another $12 million.

This is week 3 hm I can wait...

it's amazing how much attention this thread gets

Car crashes and train wrecks always garner much attention. :grin:

-Terry

And so does the greatest Superhero movie ever made... ;)