• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Just got back from seeing this movie. Loved it. REALLY don't get the critics negative response... Was totally the Batman v. Superman that I wanted to see.

I just got back myself, it was a great movie. Critics really just do not get these type of films. To put in context, it's like my girlfriend reviewing Transformers when we saw it together. She was saying some things were stupid , plot hard to follow , blah, blah blah. What she failed to realize ( same as critics) is I went to see cars, trucks and planes transform into robots and fight each other with laser guns. When I go to see Superman VS. Batman, I go to see Superman' might against Batman's brains in a knock down, drag out fight with a crescendo of uniting together with an Amazon against an unstoppable monster .

Mission accomplished.

well considering SvB is probably going to lose it's number one spot in the Box offices in it's 3rd weekend it looks like the real supervillian of the movie is...

boss-poster-720x405.jpg

And why this may happen.

With final numbers showing Melissa McCarthy’s ‘The Boss’ may have tied or just barely surpassed Batman v Superman in only its third Friday (weekend totals TBD), this could be perfect timing.

RUMOR: WB To Release Extended R-Rated Version Of BATMAN V SUPERMAN In Theaters To Boost Box Office Total

It currently looks as if Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will fall a little short of the $1 billion box office mark. However, a new rumor from Heroic Insider states that Warner Bros. is currently mulling whether to release the 3-hr director's cut in theaters, just before the Ultimate Edition is made available on home video. This move would pretty much guarantee that Batman v Superman crosses the $1 billion mark at the global box office as the same number of rabid fans who lined up to see DC Comics' Trinity grace the screen together for the first time are likely to let curiosity get the better of them and purchase tickets for the 3-hr director's cut.

DH00H2e.jpg

:grin:

Silver lining and all that positiveness that goes with it.

Batman V Superman Passes Man of Steel, But Can't Beat The Boss At the Box Office

Batman V Superman was projected for about a 60% fall in weeks two to three. That made it vulnerable to McCarthy's drawing power, which typically opens somewhere between $22 million and $30 million regardless of reviews or promotion. The film actually dropped just 54%, earning a $23.4 million weekend. That still wasn't enough to win the weekend, as The Boss drew $23.5 million and eked out a high-profile victory at the box office.

This weekend's estimated $23.4 million take brings it to about $297 million, besting the $291 million Man of Steel did during its 14 weeks at the box office. In passing Man of Steel's domestic total, Batman V Superman becomes the highest-grossing Superman film on record, but it's unlikely to touch The Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Rises, both of which grossed over $1 billion globally. Current estimates are that the movie will make between $800 million and $1 billion at the global box office.

Talk about being edged out by a nose.

Too much emphasis is put on who's #1 for the week. You need to look at the bigger picture and see how it does in the long run. If it's #2 to a strong movie it's still a good thing. If it's #2 to a mediocre movie, then maybe not so good.

Too much emphasis is put on who's #1 for the week. You need to look at the bigger picture and see how it does in the long run. If it's #2 to a strong movie it's still a good thing. If it's #2 to a mediocre movie, then maybe not so good.
The daily dollars are interesting, but the long-term significance in pop culture will eventually tell the tale. BvS made me want to re-watch Man of Steel. Maybe Justice League will enrich BvS further, once it hits next year. :wishluck:

So far Man of Steel and BvS is one hell of a story, but only the beginning of something epic (if Warner follows through and doesn't start second-guessing/pandering). How it all hangs together is yet to be seen.

I hear you on the first weekend's results. With all that negative critics review hitting the airwave, it most probably did its damage. Then the viewers that gave it a B overall. But it did break positive records, no matter the desire for everything to be negative by some.

Bosc, I don't perceive any desire by some folks to be negative about BvS. The critics can't be blamed if this movie doesn't hit $1B. Critics are always out there and what they publish does matter, because that influences ticket sales. The critics' collective grade reflects what at the end of the day -- when we take a giant step back and put aside how much we love comics -- is a decent movie that unfortunately has some serious flaws. The studio is to blame for selecting Zack Snyder to helm this movie despite the obvious warning signs present in MOS that WB chose to ignore. Had WB selected the right director, I have no doubt we would be looking at $1.5B to $2B and BvS would be movie of the year.

Bosc, I don't perceive any desire by some folks to be negative about BvS. The critics can't be blamed if this movie doesn't hit $1B. Critics are always out there and what they publish does matter, because that influences ticket sales. The critics' collective grade reflects what at the end of the day -- when we take a giant step back and put aside how much we love comics -- is a decent movie that unfortunately has some serious flaws. The studio is to blame for selecting Zack Snyder to helm this movie despite the obvious warning signs present in MOS that WB chose to ignore. Had WB selected the right director, I have no doubt we would be looking at $1.5B to $2B and BvS would be movie of the year.

At times people get fixated on a studio competition, rather than enjoying their favorite characters from one or the other (or both) Top Two. So it isn't about the critics in that case. But there does seems to be a big gap in perception with this film.

I'm not saying everyone has to like this movie. They don't. But for many this film was not the miss it was made out to be. So 'blame' would seem an extreme word. Better they had broke it up into two films as was originally rumored, and captured all those details. That's the only blame I can see here that stands out the most.

(shrug)

I loved it. Loved it!! Sure it wasn't perfect but critics bashing it the way they did makes no sense

Snyder is a bit dark.....guess what, these characters play better with some internal conflict. LOVED the interplay between Alfred and bats...

Anyways, the theatrical release of the directors cut will set things over $1B.......then hopefully WB collects some feedback from the critics So they feel loved and rate the next movie high!

Can't freakin wait for JLA!!!

Thanks to Bosco's "cheat sheet" for the Mighty Mini's, I only have 2 more to go!

Mighty%20Minis_zpsjpt9cwzf.jpg

I love how there's a Batman & Robin hiccup in your DVD library (I have every comic movie even Jonah Hex and Catwoman :( ). You need to upgrade to the Director's Cut of Hellboy and the four disc Superman: The Movie. (thumbs u

Thanks to Bosco's "cheat sheet" for the Mighty Mini's, I only have 2 more to go!

I love how there's a Batman & Robin hiccup in your DVD library (I have every comic movie even Jonah Hex and Catwoman :( ). You need to upgrade to the Director's Cut of Hellboy and the four disc Superman: The Movie. (thumbs u

I plan on upgrading to both Batman and Superman series to the DVDs that contain all 4 movies on one disc (just to conserve space). I can't see spending more money on Batman & Robin, just to turn around and buy it again in a set.

I plan on upgrading to both Batman and Superman series to the DVDs that contain all 4 movies on one disc (just to conserve space). I can't see spending more money on Batman & Robin, just to turn around and buy it again in a set.

Sometimes Walmart puts out the Batmen in the two-disc sets for $4, with loads of documentaries and a commentary. It's really the only reason, I own bad ones like B&R. I literally ran out of spce with my comicbook collection myself. I'm gonna start weeding no-name ones like The Scribbler, Paperman, etc).

Finally saw this this weekend and... well... I was entertained? But I also didn't think it was any good. If you look at it as Crazy Steve vs Space Jesus, it wasn't too bad. But I just didn't think it was all that good. Very disjointed & suffered a lot from Iron Man 2-itis. Spending far too much time playing with "set up other movies" than telling its own story. The theater was also empty. And I mean dead. The group of 4 of us that went were half of the audience. There was 8 total people for a Friday night at 9 showing.

Edited by Doktor