• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I can not really think of any benchmark for this. I have seen re-releases in the past, like Star Wars, and I have also seen it when a movie gets an Oscar nod and they want to put the film back out there.

My gut tell me that you would see between $25 to $50 mil. additional world wide, but I really have nothing to base that on.

I think it has a few more weeks to go. But even more if they go the route of releasing the R-rated version as a 'special gift' to thank fans. Then you could have more repeat viewers.

We'll have to see what Warner Bros. decides here. Though part of the run rate with this movie are the after-market video sales. They wouldn't want to disrupt that.

I loved it when I saw it the first go-round. I saw it for the 2nd time today and I enjoyed it even more this time. I plan on catching it at least once more before it leaves theaters, probably in IMAX.

Edited by SkunkApe

I haven't even seen it once. :(

If you like comics, go see it. It really is an above average movie from many aspects. However, there are some things from an overall story standpoint that could have been done better. Regardless, it is well worth the price of admission and you will get your money's worth on the screen. I paid to see it in the first week it was out, and while one certain aspect did not sit well with me and wish the writing team would have gone in another direction, I did not feel cheated or mad that I had paid to see in the theater with much dinero spent on concessions.

I never did post my thoughts on BvS.

Well,I liked it a lot.

Ben Affleck redeem himself from Daredevil and gave us the best live-action Batman IMO.

Gal Gadot was awesome as Wonder Woman even though she only appeared in the third act of the film.

I also liked the JL cameos the film as well.

My 2 complaints are why does Lex hate Superman so much (his reasons were never explained)

And the films pacing was off in some parts.

Like there was more to a scene than what we got.

I'm hoping the Director's cut fixes some of that.

If there's anything WB can do to improve the DCU is to dump David S Goyer as writer and get someone else.

His writing his awful IMO.

I don't think he actually does. The ending scene, at least to me, implied that all Lex wanted was Supes removed to make way for "him" (i.e. Darkseid).

Looks like BOM put the final numbers in:

Boss: 23.58

BVS: 23.36

It's interesting to note, that the Boss only beat BVS on Friday, it's opening night.... both Saturday and Sunday, BVS was the #1 movie for that day.

Adding, Sat and Sunday together, BVS beat it by almost $2MIL...

Boss: 15.48

BVS: 17.29

And it's got very little competition for the next 3 weeks....

Not sure on the little competition bit. Jungle Book opens on Friday (I think) and I believe that will absolutely sink BvS.

Yeah... I don't think Jungle Book's going to be as big as they hope, but it should still easily go to #1 this weekend...

Watched a crappy version of this movie last night... just couldn't stand it any longer lol ...anyways i enjoyed it... a lot!... it had a couple WTH moments in it... clark in the (Artic?) one moment then back fast enough to save lois... and getting the spear... wears him out just pulling it from the pool... but is able to fly with it.... other then that... I liked it... not seeing where all the extreme hate is coming from.... its a superhero movie that's done very well... very comic book like... ya have backstory (briefly i might add)... lead in...crazy bad-guy... manipulation... hero's fight... become friends... more hero's show up.... save the day... bad guy goes to jail... new movie lead in... i think people are taking this way to seriously.... I can't wait for the DC of the movie... if its anything like the Watchmen it will tighten everything up and flesh out the story... I am excited to see this in a more ...ahem... HD format! :headbang:

Near-term release schedule on those films coming up.

• April 15, 2016 – The Jungle Book
  • April 22, 2016 – Elvis & Nixon (Michael Shannon, Kevin Spacey)
  • April 22, 2016 – The Huntsman Winter's War (Emily Blunt, Charlize Theron)
  • May 6, 2016 – Captain America: Civil War
  • May 13, 2016 – Money Monster (George Clooney, Julia Roberts)
  • May 27, 2016 – X-Men: Apocalypse
  • May 27, 2016 – Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass
  • June 3, 2016 – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

If you like comics, go see it. It really is an above average movie from many aspects. However, there are some things from an overall story standpoint that could have been done better. Regardless, it is well worth the price of admission and you will get your money's worth on the screen. I paid to see it in the first week it was out, and while one certain aspect did not sit well with me and wish the writing team would have gone in another direction, I did not feel cheated or mad that I had paid to see in the theater with much dinero spent on concessions.

that is the most even, balanced, well written opinion I have read here on the boards...

Not sure on the little competition bit. Jungle Book opens on Friday (I think) and I believe that will absolutely sink BvS.

Yeah... I don't think Jungle Book's going to be as big as they hope, but it should still easily go to #1 this weekend...

Yeah, I think you're right. I go back and forth on the Jungle Book.

Planning on seeing BvS this weekend.

Yeah, I think you're right. I go back and forth on the Jungle Book.

+2. My kids are 10 and 11 and they both looked at the trailer and said it is for younger kids. lol

Jungle book will do well overall, but it is not going to attract much more outside of the younger children and parents crowd. I can see it struggling after a couple of weeks in the box office to be honest.

With talk of the R-Rated version being released in theatres - I am now a little hopeful that the box office suffers enough that they decide they have to release it :) Because I would 100% see the director's cut/rate R version in theatres (thumbs u

Full disclosure - I thought the movie was good, not without its problems, but still good and very enjoyable :)

I'd be interested to see how they market it...

can anyone mention other movies that have done this release model?

No new scenes, but The Bourne Identity had a mini re-release several months after it came out, where it suddenly was playing in more theaters for a few weeks.

No new scenes, but The Bourne Identity had a mini re-release several months after it came out, where it suddenly was playing in more theaters for a few weeks.

I didn't realize that.

Coming up on $300 MM Domestic.

jJIpY3C.png

I changed it up a little and pulled Zack Snyder movies as a comparison. This may not be the most profitable of his movies. But it definitely the biggest.

My 2 complaints are why does Lex hate Superman so much (his reasons were never explained)

And the films pacing was off in some parts.

I don't think he actually does. The ending scene, at least to me, implied that all Lex wanted was Supes removed to make way for "him" (i.e. Darkseid).
There was one Lex-rant that explained it pretty well...

He went on and on about no one ever rescued HIM from his father. How he called out to God constantly no avail. 'God' this and 'God' that, how anyone 'all powerful' can't also be 'all good'.

So Superman is a surrogate for Lex's lunacy/god-hatred. Lex doesn't just want to destroy Superman, he has to PROVE TO THE PLANET that Superman is 'bad' (1st by framing him for the 'terrorist' murders, then by forcing him to kill & behead Batman).

When Lois tells Lex "You're psychotic", it was an understatement imho.

There was one Lex-rant that explained it pretty well...

He went on and on about no one ever rescued HIM from his father. How he called out to God constantly no avail. 'God' this and 'God' that, how anyone 'all powerful' can't also be 'all good'.

So Superman is a surrogate for Lex's lunacy/god-hatred. He doesn't just want to destroy Superman, he has to PROVE TO THE PLANET that Superman is 'bad' (1st by framing him for the 'terrorist' murders, then by forcing him to kill & behead Batman).

When Lois tells Lex "You're psychotic", it was an understatement imho.

The fellow sure knew how to serve up ice tea though.

The “Grandmother’s Ice Tea” bit was quite evil - though it looked like Finch was choking on poison she was reacting to drinking Lex’s pee. Remember her dialogue to Lex?

“You can pee in a bucket and call it 'Grandmother’s Ice Tea' but I ain’t drinking”

:eek: