• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Too much emphasis is put on who's #1 for the week. You need to look at the bigger picture and see how it does in the long run. If it's #2 to a strong movie it's still a good thing. If it's #2 to a mediocre movie, then maybe not so good.

I agree, and in looking back plenty of blockbuster movies lost their #1 position in the 3rd week, but if you look at the quality of the movies that they lost to... well it doesnt look so good.

here are some other blockbusters and who beat them out in week 3

AOU: PitchPerfect2 and Mad MAx

Avengers: MIB2 *in week 4

TDK: Tropic Thunder *in week 5

DKR: Bourne Legacy

IM3: Star Trek Into Darkness

Spiderman: Star Wars II

Spidey2: I Robot

D'Pool: Zootopia *in week 4

Man of Steel: Monsters U and WWZ *in week 2

Most of these comic book movies were "summer blockbusters" that were bumped by other blockbusters... the "least" impressive bump was Tropic Thunder, but that didnt come until Week 5, which is a pretty impressive run.

Point being, there's no way SvB should have given up the #1 slot on such a weak weekend. Maybe it flips when the numbers go final (they are just estimates after all), and maybe BvS sits at #2 for another month and it validates the hopes of those looking for some cultural impact, or at least "stickiness" (cant wait for that to get quoted).

Im just saying it's dropping like a rock, most big blockbusters do, but this one even more so than others to date. It's still doing better than Green Lantern (lost #1 after 1 week, fell to 3rd and was behind Cars2 (understandable) but also Bad Teacher *shudder*)

With talk of the R-Rated version being released in theatres - I am now a little hopeful that the box office suffers enough that they decide they have to release it :) Because I would 100% see the director's cut/rate R version in theatres (thumbs u

Full disclosure - I thought the movie was good, not without its problems, but still good and very enjoyable :)

With talk of the R-Rated version being released in theatres - I am now a little hopeful that the box office suffers enough that they decide they have to release it :) Because I would 100% see the director's cut/rate R version in theatres (thumbs u

Full disclosure - I thought the movie was good, not without its problems, but still good and very enjoyable :)

I'd be interested to see how they market it...

can anyone mention other movies that have done this release model?

The only thing I can think of a tiny bit like this was Star Wars editing scenes from the original trilogy and re-releasing them in the 90's. That was when Lucas had them insert things like digital creatures outside the cantina that in the 70's they could accomplish.

But that wasn't to make up on any assumed missed revenue target. There was just a demand to be fed with these slight touch-ups.

The only thing I can think of a tiny bit like this was Star Wars editing scenes from the original trilogy and re-releasing them in the 90's. That was when Lucas had them insert things like digital creatures outside the cantina that in the 70's they could accomplish.

But that wasn't to make up on any assumed missed revenue target. There was just a demand to be fed with these slight touch-ups.

I think the demand was for a high quality version (using some of the newer technology) especially for release to DVD. The "slight touch-ups" range from improvements (better effects, explosions, coloring) and background filling (i.e. Mos Eisley) to actual plot changes (making Han less of a scoundrel by having Gredo shoot first, and the extra Jabba scene, that also shows Boba Fett prematurely).

Plus another big factor in that re-release was reinvigorating the audiences in preparation for the prequels.

but that's for a different thread...

I can not really think of any benchmark for this. I have seen re-releases in the past, like Star Wars, and I have also seen it when a movie gets an Oscar nod and they want to put the film back out there.

My gut tell me that you would see between $25 to $50 mil. additional world wide, but I really have nothing to base that on.

so it's official i saw the movie today for the 5th time

Cool :applause:

Twice for me but I'm tempted by a third viewing.

what crazy is that i saw twice in one day during the first saturday of release

so it's official i saw the movie today for the 5th time

Cool :applause:

Twice for me but I'm tempted by a third viewing.

what crazy is that i saw twice in one day during the first saturday of release

Now that's what I call dedication (thumbs u