• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

And it won't beat Despicable Me or Frozen either. What is DC/Warner going to do?

Oh. Wait. They were going for a more specific audience with this film. Comic book fans.

"Aside from that, Zootopia is easily distinguishable as a children’s movie, while Batman v Superman uses classic characters that were aimed at children to attempt a more adult-oriented story.

While comics fans know that these two characters have undergone a metamorphosis into more adult realms over the years, general audiences were likely expecting something more palatable for families given the natures and histories of both characters."

:facepalm: Given the Trailers and the MOS prequel-movie, why ANYONE would think Batman v Superman woulda/coulda/shoulda been all-ages fare is beyond me.

Warner took a chance. Just like DC's writers did with Batman The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, For The Man Who Has Everything, Identity Crisis and other substantive works. Good for them.

I, for one, am glad I lived to see it. Personally I'd had about enough Clark Kent as a bumbling stumbling oaf and Lex as some real estate obsessive.

Not all superhero films need to be wise crackin' one-liner yuk-fests ala Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool. Those film's are GREAT for what they are. But there's plenty of viewers for adult dramas like MOS, BvS, Watchmen and Netflix's Daredevil too. Someone alert the press. :news:

"Aside from that, Zootopia is easily distinguishable as a children’s movie, while Batman v Superman uses classic characters that were aimed at children to attempt a more adult-oriented story.

While comics fans know that these two characters have undergone a metamorphosis into more adult realms over the years, general audiences were likely expecting something more palatable for families given the natures and histories of both characters."

:facepalm: Given the Trailers and the MOS prequel-movie, why ANYONE would think Batman v Superman woulda/coulda/shoulda been all-ages fare is beyond me.

Warner took a chance. Just like DC's writers did with Batman The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, For The Man Who Has Everything, Identity Crisis and other substantive works. Good for them.

I, for one, am glad I lived to see it. Personally I'd had about enough Clark Kent as a bumbling stumbling oaf and Lex as some real estate obsessive.

Not all superhero films need to be wise crackin' one-liner yuk-fests ala Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool. Those film's are GREAT for what they are. But there's plenty of viewers for adult dramas like MOS, BvS, Watchmen and Netflix's Daredevil too. Someone alert the press. :news:

See post about about comparing one genre of movie to another, and it not even making sense to compare the two.

:foryou:

:facepalm: Given the Trailers and the MOS prequel-movie, why ANYONE would think Batman v Superman woulda/coulda/shoulda been all-ages fare is beyond me...

There was a family with two young kids at the same showing I went to. Throughout the whole film there were screams and yelps from these kids. I saw them on the way out... they looked like they had been scared to death.

There was a family with two young kids at the same showing I went to. Throughout the whole film there were screams and yelps from these kids. I saw them on the way out... they looked like they had been scared to death.

I was at a remote office two weeks ago. It just so happened the people I sat near were discussing The Walking Dead on the other side of the wall from me. Then the topic of Deadpool came up. One asked the other if he got the chance to see it.

He went off about taking his entire family, and walking out 15 minutes in because his 10-year old daughter and 8-year old son heard nasty curse words.

doh!

R-rating

And it won't beat Despicable Me or Frozen either. What is DC/Warner going to do?

Oh. Wait. They were going for a more specific audience with this film. Comic book fans.

yeah, this was dumb. he should've waited until Cap:CW blows by BvS before writing the article.

See post about about comparing one genre of movie to another, and it not even making sense to compare the two.

(thumbs u The only way the writer gets away with the Zootopia-comparison is both films happen to be in theaters right now. :eyeroll:

Sit tight kiddies... Batman Lego Movie will be here before you know it. :)

The lack of Samuel Beckett fanboys in this thread is disturbing.

What does the protagonist from Quantum Leap have to do with this thread...?

Somebody has to go back in time to change the future.

One does not travel back in time and change the future. One simply follows a predetermined series of events in a causality loop...

(thumbs u The only way the writer gets away with the Zootopia-comparison is both films happen to be in theaters right now. :eyeroll:

:whee:

Yes it will.

I was at a remote office two weeks ago. It just so happened the people I sat near were discussing The Walking Dead on the other side of the wall from me. Then the topic of Deadpool came up. One asked the other if he got the chance to see it.

He went off about taking his entire family, and walking out 15 minutes in because his 10-year old daughter and 8-year old son heard nasty curse words.

doh!

R-rating

Now that is just ridiculous lol What did he expect!?!

In the UK Deadpool had a 15 rating (only 15 and over). BvS had a 12A (kids under 12 can be accompanied by an adult). I personally think they should have gone with a 12 rating (only 12 and over).

:whee:

Yes it will.

lol

I'll second that emoticon...

Totally agree.

Congrats to BvS for having its first weekend with less than a 50% drop from the previous weekend!

I thought it would pull out of the nosedive last weekend, but hey, this weekends better than nothing!

Weekend 1 to Weekend 2: 69.1% drop (thanks in part to pre-sales, previews and such)

Weekend 2 to Weekend 3: 54.5% drop

Weekend 3 to Weekend 4: 61.4% drop (first weekend they lost a big chunk of IMAX screens)

Weekend 4 to Weekend 5: 38.9% drop (estimate)

Also for those watching the BvS grand totals this weekend was the end of it's run in China (total $95m). It is still running in UK ($51.6m to date), Mexico ($35.7m) , Brazil ($34.7m) and Australia ($22.2m).

It's got one more weekend to squeeze out some revenue in the US before Captain America comes roaring in.International markets get Cap on the 27th, so a few extra weeks there too.

Also for those watching the BvS grand totals this weekend was the end of it's run in China (total $95m). It is still running in UK ($51.6m to date), Mexico ($35.7m) , Brazil ($34.7m) and Australia ($22.2m).

With the foreign box office stats, ensure to keep an eye out on the last update date. China hasn't provided an update to its numbers since 4/17 (one week ago). Same with the UK and Australia.

Box Office Mojo should update its estimate to actuals later today. Hopefully it updates the international stats as well.

It's got one more weekend to squeeze out some revenue in the US before Captain America comes roaring in.International markets get Cap on the 27th, so a few extra weeks there too.

But there should still be some attrition this weekend, as three new releases will open this week on more screens than BvS will have (i.e., 2,600 plus), although none of them targets the same audience:

Mother's Day (Jennifer Aniston/Julia Roberts adult comedy)

Ratchet & Clank (Animated kids film)

Keanu (Key & Peele comedy)

Not blockbusters, but should hurt its holding power nonetheless.

But there should still be some attrition this weekend, as three new releases will open this week on more screens than BvS will have (i.e., 2,600 plus), although none of them targets the same audience:

Mother's Day (Jennifer Aniston/Julia Roberts adult comedy)

Ratchet & Clank (Animated kids film)

Keanu (Key & Peele comedy)

Not blockbusters, but should hurt its holding power nonetheless.

I agree with this.

Julia Roberts/ Gary Marshall collaborations usually do very well.

Jennifer Anniston has been fairly hyped lately too and Keanu might be a "sleeper."

I like BVS, I'm not a hater - and I've actually seen it.

But there is more subtlety and intelligence in Zootopia. It takes what appears to be a kids film but presents a level that only adults can get.