• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I think it was posted a few hundred pages back but do we have a benchmark for the average increase in international screens and/or % over those 12 years?

I suspect it's not that Batman Begins didn't resonate as well internationally as much as the international market for U.S. films was then much much smaller.

Between 2010 to 2014, the International Box Office value went from $21 B to $26 B, accounting for 72% of the worldwide value.

How big is the international box office market?

MPAA 2013 Theatrical Market Analysis (to judge growth with 2014)

MPAA 2014 Theatrical Market Analysis (published March 2015)

Qy7dMp2.png

As of the 2014 summary report, the North American market value had dropped slightly while the International market had actually experienced continued growth.

This report is also a great reference when it comes to theater growth, division of different theater types, and even revenue realized for a given region for overall box office results.

So...if I'm reading that correctly, $21 bn. to $26 bn. since 2010 means 23.8% growth.

So we might assume that huge tentpole blockbusters released in 2010 would average international totals 23.8% higher were they released today?

Or that a film with an $810 international gross in 2010 would break $1 bn. in international today, without even adjusting for inflation?

So...if I'm reading that correctly, $21 bn. to $26 bn. since 2010 means 23.8% growth.

So we might assume that huge tentpole blockbusters released in 2010 would average international totals 23.8% higher were they released today?

Or that a film with an $810 international gross in 2010 would break $1 bn. in international today, without even adjusting for inflation?

I would hesitate to assume just because a big-budget movie is released, it should have 23.8% more international results compared to a like movie a few years back. But if a movie is designed in a way it is meant to appeal to a global audience, you can definitely see now why the international part of that design matters.

Marvel tried it with Iron Man 3 with additional local footage. Though the dialogue was kind of weak. It sure paid off, though.

Marvel's The Avengers (2012), China: $86,300,000

Iron Man 3 (2013), China: $121,200,000

Agreed in principle, and we've definitely seen blockbusters up their China content specifically to appeal to that audience (The Martian comes to mind, although the China aspect was in the book as well).

But just pointing out that Iceman's comment that neither Batman Begins nor The Dark Knight approached BvS's international take is a red herring.

Had Batman Begins been released today (and recall that it had a China, as well as Tibet, component), its international take would have been far closer to 60% of its worldwide total, not 45%.

Thread closed. Let's move this convo over the civil war thread and bash it

:banana:

In all seriousness - great post.

:applause:

Seconded. Great post R44 :applause:Link

This bit...

...people hated the choice of Ben affleck as batman... Those same people have now tried to pretend they didn't originally write that...

Not me. I freely admit I never originally liked the choice... but after seeing the old Marvel reject in action, I thought he did ok ;)

‘Batman v Superman’ helped IMAX make a ton of money this quarter

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice helped IMAX have a huge first quarter! Between it and Deadpool, the company saw a 48% increase in revenue from the prior-year period to $92.1 million.

Director Zack Snyder is a huge fan of IMAX, so you can bet that Justice League: Part One will be shot in the large format as well.

‘Batman v Superman’ helped IMAX make a ton of money this quarter

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice helped IMAX have a huge first quarter! Between it and Deadpool, the company saw a 48% increase in revenue from the prior-year period to $92.1 million.

Director Zack Snyder is a huge fan of IMAX, so you can bet that Justice League: Part One will be shot in the large format as well.

I could see him as CEO of IMAX, it would be a wonderful career change opportunity. (thumbs u

To assume movies will always do as well or better than the previous is not really an example most of Hollywood ever sees. Generally, sequels DON'T do anything other than less than the previous movie.

Thus far superhero movies have been somewhat blessed to upwardly perform to greater degrees with each release, BUT the REAL first backward slide would be for Avengers Age of Ultron not living up to the first Avengers' box office.

This backslide, if you can call it that for the poor millionaires financing these things, was inevitable and foreseen by the studios. This upward success was mostly an unprecedented thing in the movie biz.

None of them are sounding the alarm.

Sony did almost immediately following ASM2's run. DC/WB is already working on the next movie. They're fine with where it's at.

A much longer letter than I post below.

MOVIEPILOT: A Letter To Zack Snyder From A Fan

Dear Zack Snyder,

I'm sure you are currently working very hard on the upcoming Justice League movie. I truly cannot believe that I'm even able to say that and it not be a joke. This is really happening. You've done it. You've created a world where the Justice League can exist, and I thank you for that. I thank you with all of my heart for the incredible work you've put into helping establish the DCEU.

Both in this particular "Martha" scene as well as Luthor's revelation to Superman that he had his mother in custody, I thought of my own mom. She is my rock. She is the woman that I adore, and would do anything for. She has been with me at my lowest points and my highest points, and has shown me unconditional love that I can never find any place else. She is my mother, and the thought of losing her is something I couldn't ever bear. This is what is at stake for Superman, and Batman realizes this and has a change of heart. Mr. Snyder you did an incredible thing making this connection become the bond that brings Batman and Superman together.

One of the most emotional moments in the film was towards the end of the battle with Doomsday. Superman has finally retreived the Kryptonite spear, and looks at Lois and tells her, "This is my world..." This particular moment is where we see (much like in Man of Steel) that Superman is no doubt committed to give his life for the people of Earth... WILLINGLY. Batman sees this. Wonder Woman sees this. The world sees this. Superman embraced his role as Earth's protector once again and paid the ultimate sacrifice. Superman's sacrifice is more than just a Christ-like act of heroism. The aftereffects are much more grand. This sacrifice is the spark that drives Wonder Woman to not give up on humanity yet. This sacrifice puts a fire in Batman that causes a change in his heart and makes him strive to be a hero once again. Close to the end Bruce Wayne says to Diana Prince at the funeral, "Men are still good." This line is so very powerful as it not only solidifies Diana's willingness to return to the aid of mankind, but also emphasizes Bruce's change of heart. Bruce doesn't want to fail Superman in death. Zack, you chronicled some of the greatest character development of heroes that we've ever seen before. We saw a broken, cynical man find hope, we saw an outcast realize his home, and we saw a warrior fight for a cause she thought was once lost.

I can't tell you enough how much I enjoyed this film and how excited I am to see what you have in store for us in the future. There is plenty more that I loved in this film, but I wanted to touch on the things that hit home the most for me. Once again, I want to say thank you, Zack Snyder for giving me something I've been waiting nearly my whole life to see. You did what most people thought was impossible, and executed the film with finesse and style. Thank you, Zack. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, DJ (just one of the fans)

He goes much deeper into various scenes that moved him throughout. Which is pretty cool to read for those that were even lukewarm to the movie's delivery.

Bosco, I am starting to believe you are on the BvS payroll in some way. You are to be commended for your passion for this movie.

Keep it up

If someone posts the positive being noted, they must be on the Warner payroll; but if someone posts negative news, they are just speaking their mind?

I don't get that logic.

Bosco, I am starting to believe you are on the BvS payroll in some way. You are to be commended for your passion for this movie.

Keep it up

If someone posts the positive being noted, they must be on the Warner payroll; but if someone posts negative news, they are just speaking their mind?

I don't get that logic.

Why does anyone's opinion have to involve an agenda? I was disappointed in the screenplay but have high hopes for Wonder Woman! :wishluck:

Edited by piper

I've read a lot of hate on Snyder with this but he didn't really write the story did he? I figured he just directed the film. I could be wrong. Either way I don't care. There's a good line in the movie The Edge: "Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane."

The main complaint I'm hearing is convoluted storyline so I think I'm fortunate that the directors cut will be my first viewing of this. You can't cut a four-hour movie down without sacrificing some plot. Not that there are any surprises from what I've read, just a mash-up of DKR and Death of Supes storylines. I preordered the extended R cut on Amazon and will run it through my HD projector at home. May not be IMAX but I can watch it without pants.

I've read a lot of hate on Snyder with this but he didn't really write the story did he? I figured he just directed the film. I could be wrong. Either way I don't care. There's a good line in the movie The Edge: "Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane."

The main complaint I'm hearing is convoluted storyline so I think I'm fortunate that the directors cut will be my first viewing of this. You can't cut a four-hour movie down without sacrificing some plot. Not that there are any surprises from what I've read, just a mash-up of DKR and Death of Supes storylines. I preordered the extended R cut on Amazon and will run it through my HD projector at home. May not be IMAX but I can watch it without pants.

:o

:baiting:

Keep it up

I don't get that logic.

Why does anyone's opinion have to involve an agenda? I was disappointed in the screenplay but have high hopes for Wonder Woman! :wishluck:

You fancy Wonder Woman - that is your agenda.