• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Traditionally, intermissions were used for road show engagements of noteworthy, monumental films in larger metropolitan theaters. These theaters had ushers (remember those) who made sure audiences found their original seats.

Most modern multiplex cinemas don't employ ushers, they barely have enough employees to handle tickets and concessions. Heck, for the extended cut theaters might have to hire on site counceling to console depressed filmgoers after three hours of ZS's dystopian world view.

Longer films mean fewer showings, another draw back to getting cinemas on board for an extended run of his R rated version. Oh, it could happen I suppose, if all the theater owner concerns can be ironed out (maybe they could install catheter kiosks next to the 3D glasses). .

Warner doesn't have absolute control over film distribution to theaters. Anyway, I suspect this won't happen this year.

My prediction would be that Zack's longer R rated cut will go direct to video and BD instead. (thumbs u

Or, people not familiar with the fanboy callouts get a clearer picture what the -script was referencing. See - turn that frown around.

:)

The only U.S. movie I've seen with an intermission was a re-release of Lawrence of Arabia.

It was long but worthy.

Gods and Generals (2003) was 3 hours, 39 minutes and had an intermission. But the studio made a mistake when inserting it.

The intermission was actually included in the print and was almost an entire reel of black film. Theaters added light cues at the beginning and end of it.

But it would appear to be a topic that comes up from time to time due to the longer movies coming out.

Want to Make a Cinematic Epic? Give Me a Break

Right around the third act of the 170-minute Interstellar, just when Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) appeared to be on the verge of a climactic epiphany, I found myself struggling to pay attention. It’s not that the movie was bad. But after 2½ hours sitting still in one seat, I couldn’t bring myself to ponder the deep, existential layers present in this high-stakes moment. I was just ready for it to be over.

Christopher and Jonathan Nolan’s storytelling may have been partly to blame here. But I would have been more invested in this final act had there been one little change, and it has nothing to do with the screenplay: If only there had been an intermission.

In the early days of cinema, intermissions were required simply because movies were printed on multiple reels of film, and a break was needed once the first reel was complete, so the second could be loaded. Intermissions stuck around, though, well after moviehouses solved that problem with multiple projectors. That’s because they served another need: giving the audience a break. And some movies—Gone With the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, Gandhi—even made the intermission part of their narrative structure.

Turns out Tarantino's Hateful Eight had an intermission in one of the cuts.

Tarantino edited two versions of the film: one for the roadshow version and the other for general release. The roadshow version runs for three hours and two minutes, including six minutes of extra footage plus an overture and intermission, and has alternate takes of some scenes. Tarantino created two versions as he felt some of the footage he shot for 70mm would not play well on smaller screens. Classifications from the British Board of Film Classification confirm that the time difference between the Roadshow (187 minutes) and the DCP (167 minutes) releases is 20 minutes.

I remember intermissions for Gone with the Wind, Giant, Dr Zhivago, The Sand Pebbles, The Ten Commandments, and probably How the West Was Won and Ben Hur...I didn't see the latter two in the Theater, but the sheer length, scope and era suggest they would be reasonable candidates.

There were a ton of others, I'm sure...

Huh...I had no problem with Interstellar's length, & I loved that flick.

An intermission would have just felt weird and probably led to a lot of audience attrition just before it got *really good / 2001 head-trippy*

Traditionally, intermissions were used for road show engagements of noteworthy, monumental films in larger metropolitan theaters. These theaters had ushers (remember those) who made sure audiences found their original seats.

Most modern multiplex cinemas don't employ ushers, they barely have enough employees to handle tickets and concessions. Heck, for the extended cut theaters might have to hire on site counceling to console depressed filmgoers after three hours of ZS's dystopian world view.

Longer films mean fewer showings, another draw back to getting cinemas on board for an extended run of his R rated version. Oh, it could happen I suppose, if all the theater owner concerns can be ironed out (maybe they could install catheter kiosks next to the 3D glasses). .

Warner doesn't have absolute control over film distribution to theaters. Anyway, I suspect this won't happen this year.

My prediction would be that Zack's longer R rated cut will go direct to video and BD instead. (thumbs u

lol

:roflmao:

lol

:roflmao:

:eek:

There are less dystopian elimination systems available on the market... ;)

Everybody is looking for Gadot.

Exactly. The great thing is that she actually shows up from time to time. And was the best thing about this movie, for sure.

She was the best thing about the film. :luhv:

Everybody is looking for Gadot.

Exactly. The great thing is that she actually shows up from time to time. And was the best thing about this movie, for sure.

She was the best thing about the film. :luhv:

- Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman

- Ben Affleck's Batman

- Jeremy Iron's Alfred (the real fellow keeping the tech working)

- Callan Mulvey's KGBeast

There was definitely quite a bit of solid casting. To include Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman.