• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

JLA could do $2B at the box office with a rotten egg score of A+, a rotten tomato score of 98% and a rotten-beef-rump-roast score of "round and firm", and some of the same folks would be out here pointing out that their Tuesday performance in North Dakota east theatres was only the 3rd best of the century, losing out to a movie about a glass slipper and evil stepmother.

This is so true.

doh!

Or it could do $650M at the box office with a rotten tomato score of 21% and there would still be people on this forum saying what a genius Zack Snyder is and how we just don't understand the movie.

Hey! We made an epic blockbuster that was both critically reviled and ignored by audiences after folks actually saw it and word-of-mouth got around.

It's already made the Global Top 10 superhero films & isn't done yet!!

Only, it couldn't even make as much as Spider-Man 3 did _9 years_ ago.

Or either of the last two Batman films.

Champagne for everybody!

JLA could do $2B at the box office with a rotten egg score of A+, a rotten tomato score of 98% and a rotten-beef-rump-roast score of "round and firm", and some of the same folks would be out here pointing out that their Tuesday performance in North Dakota east theatres was only the 3rd best of the century, losing out to a movie about a glass slipper and evil stepmother.

This is so true.

doh!

Or it could do $650M at the box office with a rotten tomato score of 21% and there would still be people on this forum saying what a genius Zack Snyder is and how we just don't understand the movie.

Thank goodness it has done $862.9 MM worldwide. :applause:

And has anyone called Zack Snyder a 'genius'?

Opinion: 5 Reasons Why I Loved BATMAN V SUPERMAN

1. An Older, Hardened Batman

2. A Bleak, Conflicted Superman

3. Batman’s Change of Heart

4. Zero Audience Hand-holding

5. The Unresolvable Conflict

I think this is what it comes down to with those that appreciated the movie.

Every single one of those things listed is table stakes for just the barebones pitch of a Dark Knight Returns-inspired Batman v. Superman film.

That's like saying you liked Ghost Rider simply because you never thought you'd get to see your favorite comic book anti-hero on the big screen, let alone portrayed by an Oscar-winning actor -- it utterly ignores the pathetic execution and wretched quality of the finished product.

It's equivalent to saying you liked the latest (also absurdly mediocre) James Bond film because it featured:

1. A scene-stealing mastermind villain played by an Oscar-winning actor

2. An iconic henchman

3. Exotic globe-trotting locations

4. Beautiful Bond women

5. Amazing action set pieces

Whoop de' do. That's the bare minimum for a Bond flick.

Yup - SPECTRE checks all those boxes.

And it was still a bad movie that managed to waste Christoph Waltz and be put to shame by freakin' Mission Impossible 5.

Every single one of those things listed is table stakes for just the barebones pitch of a Dark Knight Returns-inspired Batman v. Superman film.

That's like saying you liked Ghost Rider simply because you never thought you'd get to see your favorite comic book anti-hero on the big screen, let alone portrayed by an Oscar-winning actor -- it utterly ignores the pathetic execution and wretched quality of the finished product.

It's equivalent to saying you liked the latest (also absurdly mediocre) James Bond film because it featured:

1. A scene-stealing mastermind villain played by an Oscar-winning actor

2. An iconic henchman

3. Exotic globe-trotting locations

4. Beautiful Bond women

5. Amazing action set pieces

Whoop de' do. That's the bare minimum for a Bond flick.

Yup - SPECTRE checks all those boxes.

And it was still a bad movie that managed to waste Christoph Waltz and be put to shame by freakin' Mission Impossible 5.

Look. I get it. Your fan needs were not satisfied by this movie. Though coming back to something you disliked so you make sure to add an extra layer of negative to drive home the point you are not pleased can start to deviate away from a conversation.

And you have clearly noted that is your intent going forward.

I didn't see any misogyny in either Man of Steel or Batman v. Superman. In fact, I'd argue that both films featured more than one strong female protagonist.

I'm also tired of Mr. Merryweather's schtick -- While I agree with him that the movie was inexplicably poorly done, I've at least seen it before making that judgement.

That said, I will continue to point out (and take glee in) its weak box office showing because that's the only leverage we the public have to try to convince Warner Bros. to go in a different (i.e. better) direction in the future.

This weekend's factoid: Batman v. Superman's getting trounced by the (much cheaper) Jungle Book.

Not only did The Jungle Book manage to be # 1 for three whole weekends (as opposed to getting beaten by a Melissa McCarthy movie), its week # 3 take is 75% higher than that of Batman v. Superman's.

The Jungle Book, 3rd weekend: $42 million

Batman v. Superman, 3rd weekend: $24 million.

Again, I respect the fact you are not happy. But that doesn't mean it makes it acceptable to ensure you disrupt anything good noted about this movie. That never leads to a positive cross-talk about a film.

And there are plenty of folks that enjoyed this film, even with the editing flaws and confusion with certain plot points. That doesn't mean they are clueless to the elements that make a good film. It worked for them.

I had trouble relating to #3 because unfortunately, my mother's name isn't Martha. :sorry:

I had trouble relating to #3 because unfortunately, my mother's name isn't Martha. :sorry:

But the actual important point of #3 was not the name itself...

It’s this moment that shows to Batman that his seeming enemy Superman, despite being an invulnerable alien of nearly limitless power, is,on the edge of death, primarily concerned with his mother. As Batman said previously, “You’re not brave; men are brave.”

Like has been noted before in this thread, it was the realization Superman is more 'man' than 'alien' - but Bruce Wayne was blind to this due to the hate he kept going due to the people that died in his building.

'Martha' was just the plot point trigger. Less important than the emotions that came from this occurring, and how it impacted Batman.

Its this moment that shows to Batman that his seeming enemy Superman, despite being an invulnerable alien of nearly limitless power, is,on the edge of death, primarily concerned with his mother. As Batman said previously, Youre not brave; men are brave.

Like has been noted before in this thread, it was the realization Superman is more 'man' than 'alien' - but Bruce Wayne was blind to this due to the hate he kept going due to the people that died in his building.

'Martha' was just the plot point trigger. Less important than the emotions that came from this occurring, and how it impacted Batman.

I liked the change of heart more in American History X where they bonded over basketball then Ed Norton got 'prison showered' by the white power dude. THAT was an EARNED change of heart.

The Martha...I bought it...but it felt kind of out of place in the movie...

I had this problem, too. It ruined the entire movie for me and has really caused a rift in my relationship with my grandparents. :cry:

I liked the change of heart more in American History X where they bonded over basketball then Ed Norton got 'prison showered' by the white power dude. THAT was an EARNED change of heart.

After the curb dental scene in that movie, I can never watch it again.

:eek:

I liked a lot about AoU but did not like the "city falling from the sky" will kill EVERYONE and the fact that, again, it was one main bad dude with an army of "cannon fodder"...I think they could have done something a bit more interesting for Ultron's "end game"...

BvS just left me kind of "meh"...

BvS just left me kind of "meh"...

That was a delayed disappointment emotion from AoU. Sometimes it takes a few months, if not around a year, to expose such emotions.

:baiting:

I was okay with AoU. Not excited. But okay.

I mean after all, it did have Vision and Scarlet Witch.

:whee:

It’s this moment that shows to Batman that his seeming enemy Superman, despite being an invulnerable alien of nearly limitless power, is,on the edge of death, primarily concerned with his mother. As Batman said previously, “You’re not brave; men are brave.”

So because Supes had a 'mommie', Bats was suddenly able to set aside all of those who died in Metropolis?

I thought the scene...and the idea behind the scene...was the worst plot device committed to film in a long time.