• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books that you don't want in your collection...

206 posts in this topic

Love DC (never understood why some people don't like).

Love Marvel too.

Never understood why people even make a distinction. Yes, I know the differences, but to me they are superficial and trivial.

There is a big difference. The Marvel Age has a whole conception, or vision if you prefer, behind it, which DC never attained in the same grade or scope.

This does not mean single character and stories, given the authors were also the same, cannot be as much as good, but it is simply an entirely different matter.

The fact that Marvel lost that vision and scope is another matter, but what has been done remains. :)

Love Marvel too.

Never understood why people even make a distinction. Yes, I know the differences, but to me they are superficial and trivial.

There is a big difference. The Marvel Age has a whole conception, or vision if you prefer, behind it, which DC never attained in the same grade or scope.

This does not mean single character and stories, given the authors were also the same, cannot be as much as good, but it is simply an entirely different matter.

What era was that from? The only time Marvel was ever in synch that mattered to me was when John Byrne was writing everything. If you're talking about any of the swill that was written when Bendis was scripting everything, then we have nothing to say to one another.

Love Marvel too.

What era was that from? The only time Marvel was ever in synch that mattered to me was when John Byrne was writing everything. If you're talking about any of the swill that was written when Bendis was scripting everything, then we have nothing to say to one another.

Are you kidding? Bendis? lol

By the time Bendis was hired by Marvel comics, the Marvel Age (as Stan Lee envisioned it, and as the subsequent generation of writers carried on wonderfully), was more or less gone. I already found problematic the tenure of Jim Shooter, go figure the years under Joe Quesada. I am pretty much convinced that the management started to stop caring about the characters may years before that.

That cover is so weird I had to look her up.

Interesting note from her radio show:

In 1943, she began her own radio program, The Judy Canova Show, that ran for twelve years—first on CBS and then on NBC. Playing herself as a love-starved Ozark bumpkin dividing her time between home and Southern California, Canova was accompanied by a cast that included voicemaster Mel Blanc as Pedro (using the accented voice he later gave the cartoons' Speedy Gonzales) and Sylvester (using the voice that later became associated with the Looney Tunes character),

I think this is the ugliest cover ever made. :sick:

I collect Fox books, but you'll never see this one in my collection!

judy_zps74746075.jpg

judy_zps74746075.jpg

lol Yea.... thats pretty hideous !!

That cover is so weird I had to look her up.

Interesting note from her radio show:

In 1943, she began her own radio program, The Judy Canova Show, that ran for twelve years—first on CBS and then on NBC. Playing herself as a love-starved Ozark bumpkin dividing her time between home and Southern California, Canova was accompanied by a cast that included voicemaster Mel Blanc as Pedro (using the accented voice he later gave the cartoons' Speedy Gonzales) and Sylvester (using the voice that later became associated with the Looney Tunes character),

judy_zps74746075.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]She remind me of Lily Tomlin...[/font]

Walking Dead #1...had a CGC 9.8 black label last year and got rid of it in less than a week since I believed the bubble was going to bust at any minute. Sold it and bought my Action Comics #10. :cool:

THAT IS WHY I AM WAITING FOR MY WD #1 FROM CGC!!!!!! :juggle: Once I get that damned book with double signatures, I will sell it for any silver age key books!

Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! I never understood why everybody loves ZOMBIES!! It was in 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's then again in 2010's. When will the Zombies fever go away??? I live across to the high school. They had a ZOMBIE PROM last year!!! LAME!!

PS, I am not a fan of Rod Liefield. I don't mind to own NM #98 again but I am NOT THAT CRAZY about Rod Liefield's art. All feet are tiny as if it seemed that they tiptoed around.

X-men 94. Should be significantly less than GSXM #1. Always has bugged me.

The writer or artist or both missed the opportunity to insert Wolverine in X-Men #94 so Giant X-Men #1 has Wolverine.

Giant X-Men #1 has many origins of new X-Men members. That is problem too.

Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! I never understood why everybody loves ZOMBIES!! It was in 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's then again in 2010's. When will the Zombies fever go away???

hm

60+ years of popularity, a popularity that hasn't stopped since it started, and you want to call it a "fever?" Like it is a fad?

hm

-slym

Love Marvel too.

The fact that Marvel lost that vision and scope is another matter, but what has been done remains. :)

As I said, however the differences may be expressed, it never mattered to me and still doesn't. To me, that is.

I liked all comics as a kid and still do. Never mattered if it was Spidey or Supes or Bats or GL or Aquaman or Flash or Cap or FF or Archie or Little Dot or Little Lulu or Richie Rich or Disney or Classics Illustrated or Funny Animal or War or ....

Sure, I had my favorites, but I actively liked all of them. And still do.

:)

X-men 94. Should be significantly less than GSXM #1. Always has bugged me.

The writer or artist or both missed the opportunity to insert Wolverine in X-Men #94 so Giant X-Men #1 has Wolverine.

Giant X-Men #1 has many origins of new X-Men members. That is problem too.

Huh, what? I don't understand. Wolverine is in both books, and GS # 1 came out before X-Men # 94 :shrug:

As I said, however the differences may be expressed, it never mattered to me and still doesn't. To me, that is.

I liked all comics as a kid and still do. Never mattered if it was Spidey or Supes or Bats or GL or Aquaman or Flash or Cap or FF or Archie or Little Dot or Little Lulu or Richie Rich or Disney or Classics Illustrated or Funny Animal or War or ....

Sure, I had my favorites, but I actively liked all of them. And still do.

:)

I think there is a misunderstanding. I love all kind of comics as well, but as far as the superhero was recodified in the 1960s, the vision Stan Lee had with Marvel has a different quality and approach from any other publisher which was reworking the superhero as well.

Plainly put: I don’t consider Golden Age super-heroes a fully developed concept with as much subtlety, and an all-enclosing conception as Marvel attained in its best years (the first 25 so to speak).

I have read some DCs, and I make an example: in the early 1970s Marvel produced some poignant stories where writers like Roy Thomas or Gerry Conway posed the question on how much good and how much wrong there was with student protests and youth movements. The Marvel ones are brilliant, and if I compare, say, the first Warlock series, Iron Man #45-46 or certain Sub-Mariner issues to a Flash storyline I have read with the same themes, even if the artist is the same (Gil Kane) in the case of Warlock, the DC stories do not have this "unity" between the various characters, situations, environments, they are less realistic and they are more simplified, and even a bit unreal at traits.

Even the highly acclaimed Green Lantern/Green Arrow run is problematic in this sense, as I have always found the Marvel take on these issues more mature, and more well developed, within the given constraints of the Comics Code, which I considered a very good thing as they forced writers and artists to be respectful of younger readers.

Said this, I absolutey love a lot of comics from other countries, not just mine or the USA, and in my collection you can find stuff like these (just some random examples), so it’s no preconception at all. :)

PoizhU6h.jpg

PzQyTQvh.jpg

8CqafnJh.jpg

DeLfse3h.jpg

1azDdc5h.jpg

Walking Dead #1...had a CGC 9.8 black label last year and got rid of it in less than a week since I believed the bubble was going to bust at any minute. Sold it and bought my Action Comics #10. :cool:

THAT IS WHY I AM WAITING FOR MY WD #1 FROM CGC!!!!!! :juggle: Once I get that damned book with double signatures, I will sell it for any silver age key books!

Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! I never understood why everybody loves ZOMBIES!! It was in 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's then again in 2010's. When will the Zombies fever go away??? I live across to the high school. They had a ZOMBIE PROM last year!!! LAME!!

PS, I am not a fan of Rod Liefield. I don't mind to own NM #98 again but I am NOT THAT CRAZY about Rod Liefield's art. All feet are tiny as if it seemed that they tiptoed around.

I hate Rod's younger brother Rob's artwork, too.