• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

Anyone not watching this yet, or didn't give it a chance after 1-2 episodes, come back. Give it a chance. It isn't the Avengers movie on TV, and it is slowly building up (slower than most like, I admit) but I think it will be worth it by the time we see the end of 22 episodes.

Now, if we can start seeing strings of C- and D-list heroes & villains mixed in with the character development, it will start living up to most of the expectations thrust upon it since that first trailer was released. (Remember when we all thought that was Luke Cage?) :lol:

-slym

As I predicted, you can't really have an ensemble cast like this and expect character growth for everyone in the first 2 episodes. Now that they are focusing on other characters besides Skye, and growing the rest of the team's personae, the show is getting better (duh). It's a slow burn on the major plots, but I quite like that as long as each episode has an interesting premise.

This week's episode was easily the best so far, but that's not necessarily a high bar to clear.

I've found myself with far too little time to keep up with all of the new Sci-Fi/Horror based network series that I want to watch: (Sleepy Hollow, Grimm, AofS, Walking Dead, and soon, Almost Human).

The show has gone from a C-minus to a B-minus. It will never be an A-quality show, because the entire premise is flawed. Instead of getting James Bond meets The Avengers with the attitude of Samuel L. Jackson, we got 90210 meets Scooby Doo (maybe "The X-Files" if I'm being charitable) made for The Disney Channel. Instead of sexy espionage and grown-up action, we got a bunch of meddling kids investigating the monster of the week in a tame, bland, unoffensive, made-for-8pm network TV package. No, it's not horrible, but it will never rise much above where it is now. "Arrow" on the CW is a far superior superhero action/romance product because it has better characters and far more action, edginess and bite than the milquetoast "AoS".

I'm only still watching it because I'm a Marvel Zombie and can't help myself. But, even so, I was flipping through a travel guide and planning my next vacation while watching last night's episode - definitely no need to devote my full attention to it anymore. :facepalm:

The show has gone from a C-minus to a B-minus. It will never be an A-quality show, because the entire premise is flawed. Instead of getting James Bond meets The Avengers with the attitude of Samuel L. Jackson, we got 90210 meets Scooby Doo (maybe "The X-Files" if I'm being charitable) made for The Disney Channel. Instead of sexy espionage and grown-up action, we got a bunch of meddling kids investigating the monster of the week in a tame, bland, unoffensive, made-for-8pm network TV package. No, it's not horrible, but it will never rise much above where it is now. "Arrow" on the CW is a far superior superhero action/romance product because it has better characters and far more action, edginess and bite than the milquetoast "AoS".

I'm only still watching it because I'm a Marvel Zombie and can't help myself. But, even so, I was flipping through a travel guide and planning my next vacation while watching last night's episode - definitely no need to devote my full attention to it anymore. :facepalm:

I have not watched Arrow in a long time. I watched the first 2-3 episodes of season 1 and I honestly couldn't tolerate the tried and true CW network formula TV.

The "we like each other but we can't be together because you are a superhero" angle that was played to death in Smallville resonated in Arrow again and I really am not interested in watching that again or buying the latest hot tune from iTunes that plays during the final scene.

Or... Has it changed?

I have not watched Arrow in a long time. I watched the first 2-3 episodes of season 1 and I honestly couldn't tolerate the tried and true CW network formula TV.

The "we like each other but we can't be together because you are a superhero" angle that was played to death in Smallville resonated in Arrow again and I really am not interested in watching that again or buying the latest hot tune from iTunes that plays during the final scene.

Or... Has it changed?

I don't know that it's changed, but you neglected to include the huge body count, great fight scenes, sick and twisted villains, the raw and brutal island flashback story, social commentary, existential issues, etc. I mean, it's a dark and edgy show whereas AoS could not be more bland, stereotypical, cookie-cutter and unoffensively Disney if it tried. 2c

Or... Has it changed?

I don't know that it's changed, but you neglected to include the huge body count, great fight scenes, sick and twisted villains, the raw and brutal island flashback story, social commentary, existential issues, etc. I mean, it's a dark and edgy show whereas AoS could not be more bland, stereotypical, cookie-cutter and unoffensively Disney if it tried. 2c

wasn't this pretty much telegraphed when they slotted it at 8 pm?

What I think is starting to happen is everyone is going to have a near death experience to bring them all on the same playing field. Read about episode 7. We now know that Coulson and Mays have died, Simmons almost died, now it's time for Ward or Fitz in 7. Skye will be last, and I think when Skye has her moment, her true identity will surface. This is a way to connect the team emotionally and make everyone equal as a team. The crazy idea of Skye becoming "Spider Women" is not so off now from a good idea. With the talk of coming together with Cap 2 to join the series, I could see Coulson revaling his true nature in post credits of that movie. It will invest the audience in the show and if he becomes the "the Vision" then that will propel the show for season 2. They keep pushing the Rusty, Whinnebago type reference to him.

Game of thrones did not get crazy until the second book, next season or later this season I am sure you will see some super hero stuff. We have 18 episodes to go? It's going to happen, the show is seeing the comments, everyone just wants right now.

Or... Has it changed?

I'm still waiting until they cast Terry Crews as Power Man and get him to join the team.

adam-samberg-s-cop-comedy-recruits-terry-crews-and-21-jump-street-directors.jpg

Instead of getting James Bond meets The Avengers with the attitude of Samuel L. Jackson, we got 90210 meets Scooby Doo (maybe "The X-Files" if I'm being charitable) made for The Disney Channel. Instead of sexy espionage and grown-up action, we got a bunch of meddling kids investigating the monster of the week in a tame, bland, unoffensive, made-for-8pm network TV package.

This comment nails the show perfectly. You would think that by episode 5 they would have started to develop intersecting subplots and new, recurring characters to build up to something ... instead, we get one-shot, stand-alone, Nick-at-Nite programing. I want to listen to all 7 parts of 2112 -- instead we get Never Gonna Give You Up from Rick Astley.

Or... Has it changed?

Now I like Arrow but I don't really recognise if from your description.

Half decent fight scenes.

Mediocre villains.

An island flashback story that has already gone on too long but will probably go on for a long time more.

Social commentary - er, not sure about this.

Existential issues - those I must have missed.

It's a bit of entertaining fluff that is a full season ahead of AOS so it should be a lot better in every respect, including character development and the plot. The characters are engaging but but they are still the pretty boys and girls stereotypes that you see on most TV shows.

Or... Has it changed?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Arrow is great!

I'm enjoying AoS more and more each episode (though have enjoyed it from the beginning). I'm also taking it as more a vehicle to explain Coulson's story more than anything else, and segue into the movies.

Or... Has it changed?

Mediocre villains.

An island flashback story that has already gone on too long but will probably go on for a long time more.

It's a bit of entertaining fluff that is a full season ahead of AOS so it should be a lot better in every respect, including character development and the plot. The characters are engaging but but they are still the pretty boys and girls stereotypes that you see on most TV shows.

After all these years, you forgot a very important fact...He's VERY HOT...you could all get your wives to watch that opening scene on the ladder;)

and it's just plain fun. I'm still trying to find the fun in Agents of SHELD, last night I was telling my husband

that I wished the boy scientist would jump with her...

kind of like I felt when Leonardo DeCaprio clung to that damned iceberg for hours;)

(my daughter did not think I was funny;) )

Or... Has it changed?

Mediocre villains.

After all these years, you forgot a very important fact...He's VERY HOT...you could all get your wives to watch that opening scene on the ladder;)

and it's just plain fun. I'm still trying to find the fun in Agents of SHELD, last night I was telling my husband

kind of like I felt when Leonardo DeCaprio clung to that damned iceberg for hours;)

There is a lot of bulging male torso on show in Arrow, this is true. Probably why it is so popular on the boards.

Or... Has it changed?

Mediocre villains.

You weren't the only one hoping they read the boards and were going to start winnowing down the annoying characters.

Enjoyed this weeks episode of AOS immensely.

The team is starting to gel... which is what I was hoping would happen ;)

Personally thought the skyfall scene was pretty darn exciting too.

xxx ooo

Rupp