• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's having a sale

123 posts in this topic

I agree that hindsight is only 20/20, but the point I was trying to make is that Chuck gets a lot of press for being a trailblazer in the industry, and I just don't see it that way. A real trailblazer would have the visionary of the Dentist, and hold onto those keys at all cost. Chuck lucked out, and did well, but if he'd had real visionary business sense, he'd own his own small country today.

Chuckles, IMHO, has really only done one thing right: He answered the phone & went to check it out (two things actually). The Church collection bit him on the butt. .08-.09 each, as the seller already had a price in mind, is a no-brainer.

That deal alone would have set anyone with Vision up ! makepoint.gif

Instead, Chuck wanted to be "King of Comics", multiple stores, every comic ever printed,.... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

By the time he noticed he wasn't doing so well ( like looking at your Daily's and doing some math ) he found himself needing cash. Then he goes and sells the cream of the crop 'till there's nothing left. foreheadslap.gif

Now it's all about Warehouse finds and Fabulous Collections.

sign-rantpost.gif893censored-thumb.gif

My blood preassure up,..... yeahok.gif

Here's a happy yay.gif

Now I remember why I always hated putting orders through their web site.

Basically, no matter what credit card information you put when you place the order, if they have you on their system, they will automatically ignore the credit card number you put in the web site, and they will run your old credit card number that they had on record.

The last 4 orders I placed with them, they always sent me an email saying my credit card was declined. The first problem is that they send you, in the email, the credit card number and expiration date that was declined. That to me, doesn't seem too safe. Then, when I look at their email, they tried to run a credit card number I used 3 years ago, and not the number I put on the web site.

Of course, in the end, you have to call them by phone and give them all your credit card information again and hope that they finally get a chance to update their system. But apparently, they just fix the credit card number for the current invoice, and they always forget to update their records...

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. Instead of sending emails about how much money he spends weekly in his pottery collection, maybe Chuck should invest on a good online shopping system. Of course, the only reason they cannot bill you when you place the order is because, quite often, by the time they get to processing your order, some of the items are not in stock anymore...

But that's a story for a different day...

Mile High does have a great order system. I received an email letting me know they received my order, another email when they started pulling the books, and another email letting me know the order is almost complete. thumbsup2.gif

A real trailblazer would have the visionary of the Dentist, and hold onto those keys at all cost. Chuck lucked out, and did well, but if he'd had real visionary business sense, he'd own his own small country today.

The Dentist is a collector & doesn't need the money = no incentive to sell. Plus, he's got a son who is a collector & he can pass them on to him. Chuck was in a different situation.

I tend to agree, BoC...but still, given all his claims about loving comics, you gotta wonder why Chuck didn't stash even 5% of the collection away permanently. (That would be ~1,000 GA books in pristine condition.)

Granted, he saw the Church collection not so much as a "dream collection" as a "cash cow" for him personally, but even so, if you are in fact a comic book fan in the strictest sense, you keep some of those books, period.

I mean, he claims to have had the presence of mind to recognize that he was in possession of the single greatest collection of GA comics ever, but he did next to nothing to "memorialize" it as such. How 'bout photos of the first 10 issues of all the major runs, before you start scattering them to the BSD winds? How 'bout a truly comprehensive list of every book in the collection, if only for inventorying and tracking purposes? How 'bout taking your favorite title, setting aside the first 50 or 100 issues, and locking them in a safety-deposit box and giving the key to your attorney with instructions not to let you sell them unless you're about to declare bankruptcy?

On some level, Chuck used the Church collection to fund his personal "trial by fire" in one of the most competitive, cut-throat business around: retail comic book sales. Obviously, that was his choice to make, and you could argue that on some level it ended up being a fair exchange for him personally. But we can, in turn, criticize that decision and speculate as to what might have been.

My 2 cents are much like everyone elses. Buy moderns, buy stuff that isn't worth much, buy real beat up readers. Don't buy anything else. Anything that is worth anything or might soon be worth something is reeeally marked up.

I do have some FF holes to fill in the late 200s, good prices on those. I stopped collecting many Marvel mainstream books in the mid-late 90s, I could fill those runs cheaply if I wanted. Few obscure indys here and there. MH serves a purpose there.

27_laughing.gif

Okay, maybe not your lawyer - how about your mother? Wait, she might do some spring cleaning and toss 'em out with the old drapes.

Hmmm. There's gotta be *someone* you can trust with 'Tec 27, Action 1, etc...? Maybe they were in the safest possible place while sitting in that basement for 30 years...?

I bought some CGC books off of his site. With the sale I thought they were very nicely priced, well packed and the shipping was free because the purchase was over a 100 dollars. I did have to pay sales tax. frown.gif (Just like Ebay, stick with CGC books and you can't complain about a subjective grade.)

My thoughts on the Edgar Church find: He was lucky, sold the books for enough money to finance his dreams. (retail stores, pottery, traveling...etc.), how can that be questioned? The books are still generating revenue for him.

My thoughts on his personality, ego, and other stuff: It doesn't bother me because I'm only interested in finding good priced CGC books. (When he has his sales, his books are priced better than most places.) When Ray Kroc was alive, I didn't even ponder what his personality was like when I wanted to buy a Big Mac.

I bought some CGC books off of his site. With the sale I thought they were very nicely priced, well packed and the shipping was free because the purchase was over a 100 dollars. I did have to pay sales tax. frown.gif (Just like Ebay, stick with CGC books and you can't complain about a subjective grade.)

My thoughts on the Edgar Church find: He was lucky, sold the books for enough money to finance his dreams. (retail stores, pottery, traveling...etc.), how can that be questioned? The books are still generating revenue for him.

My thoughts on his personality, ego, and other stuff: It doesn't bother me because I'm only interested in finding good priced CGC books. (When he has his sales, his books are priced better than most places.) When Ray Kroc was alive, I didn't even ponder what his personality was like when I wanted to buy a Big Mac.

yeahok.gif

Live long and prosper !

hi.gifflowerred.gif

Let's agree to disagree! thumbsup2.gif

I'm speechless. Never has a quote been more accurate.

yeahok.gif

Live long and prosper !

hi.gifflowerred.gif

Let's agree to disagree! thumbsup2.gif

I am not J.C. !

I apologize if I offended you in anyway with my response!

Chuck just rubs my Rhubarb the wrong way !

Does that make me a bad guy? confused-smiley-013.gif

Happy thought: yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Scooby Doo says: "Wwhaarrtt?" foreheadslap.gif

But Ray Kroc wasnt in your face all the time grandiousely bragging about the burger empire he created...

But Ray Kroc wasnt in your face all the time grandiousely bragging about the burger empire he created...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, he was !

Always telling you how many Millions of burgers he stuffed down our faces,... foreheadslap.gif

Anyone got a picture of the Golden Arches?!? makepoint.gif

Doesn't get more "In your Face" than that! makepoint.gif

hi.gifflowerred.gif

was he? Dont recall even what he looked like...but I was afraid Id get called on my statement of "fact"!

Course If I was Ray Kroc and I was getting old after creating a huge (though evil) worldwide corporate giant like MickeyDs, Id guess Id get a bu=it egotistic too as I neared my end. Just to make SURE people remembered it was ME what done it!!

I dont think Kroc and Chucke are really a fair comparison of achievement...

was he? Dont recall even what he looked like...but I was afraid Id get called on my statement of "fact"!

Course If I was Ray Kroc and I was getting old after creating a huge (though evil) worldwide corporate giant like MickeyDs, Id guess Id get a bu=it egotistic too as I neared my end. Just to make SURE people remembered it was ME what done it!!

I dont think Kroc and Chucke are really a fair comparison of achievement...

Aman, it's the sign outside of every McD's that says "over 30 billion sold".

That's Ray Kroc's statement, although less offensive than Chuckles "King of Comics/ I found the Chuch Collection". It's pretty much the same thing. hi.gifflowerred.gif