• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Spotlight #5 Affiliation
6 6

185 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2021 at 9:06 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Had two cons in two cities this weekend and did REALLY well at both so I treated myself to this at the Sunday show. Paid $1500. 

Hope they didn't get a good look at you.  Because that was a steal.  :devil:  Congrats

Edited by Pantodude

Recent ebay sale that has now been accepted in GPA (Actual sold price was $18,000). This honestly feels very suspicious to me and my gut says it was a sell-to-myself-and-eat-the-fees type flip (and we will be seeing more in the grade get listed soon to capitalize on this 'new' GPA price point). The price is dumb. Full Stop.

There is a 9.0 on clink right now that ends in a few days, and is currently at around $2,500, if that one hits somewhere between 10-14k then maybe I will consider this buy-it-now sale somewhat legit. Though there is a 9.6 signature series also on clink that is currently at $23,750, sooo I guess the world is just completely insane now.

186472572_10226652634241446_4691874750956019939_n.thumb.jpg.52569d28e5308927f2c3f668db43effd.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

Recent ebay sale that has now been accepted in GPA (Actual sold price was $18,000). This honestly feels very suspicious to me and my gut says it was a sell-to-myself-and-eat-the-fees type flip (and we will be seeing more in the grade get listed soon to capitalize on this 'new' GPA price point). The price is dumb. Full Stop.

There is a 9.0 on clink right now that ends in a few days, and is currently at around $2,500, if that one hits somewhere between 10-14k then maybe I will consider this buy-it-now sale somewhat legit. Though there is a 9.6 signature series also on clink that is currently at $23,750, sooo I guess the world is just completely insane now.

186472572_10226652634241446_4691874750956019939_n.thumb.jpg.52569d28e5308927f2c3f668db43effd.jpg

Are you not familiar with Marvel Spotlight 5?  Over the years past, it was often as expensive (more?) in some grades than GSXM1.  If GSXM1, which is multiple times more numerous in high grade, sells for anywhere near this in grade, then certainly a BA mega like MS5 can too.   A MS5 in 9.8 in 2016 was like $48.5K--there are so few of them!   (I'll edit this after checking GPA).   It SHOULD go for multiples more than any GSXM1 has ever gone for in 9.8.  if there is any sense in this market, a relatively uncommon MS5 in 9.2 should go for more than a same grade GSXM1.   

Edited by Pantodude

10 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Are you not familiar with Marvel Spotlight 5?  

No, why? Is it some sort of first appearance funny book or something? Don't people appreciate white creases in black covers, like that of a fine patina? I must have blacked out when I sold one yesterday :D 

28 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

No, why? Is it some sort of first appearance funny book or something? Don't people appreciate white creases in black covers, like that of a fine patina? I must have blacked out when I sold one yesterday :D 

Hey, just sayin!   :devil:  Seriously though, Overstreet Guide (2020), which needs to be updated, had MS5 8th for BA keys, ahead of 9th GSXM1.   A GSXM1 in 9.2 sold for $13,750 this month with 502(!) on the census.   MS5 in 9.2.....only 157!   So MS5 in 9.2 should go for more than whatever a GSXM1 gets, consistent with the $18K eBay sale you reference above.   2c   That MS5 9.8 coming up in June on Heritage is expected to blow away the lofty GSXM1 values we have seen in 9.8, and justifiably so as there are only FOUR of them (!) compared to 193 GSXM1 in 9.8.   Short story, there is nothing insane about an MS5 reaching and even exceeding $20K in grade 9.2, let alone a MS5 in 9.6 SS (so I expect that C-L to end up way higher).    

Edited by Pantodude

On 5/16/2021 at 2:01 PM, Pantodude said:

Hey, just sayin!   :devil:  Seriously though, Overstreet Guide (2020), which needs to be updated, had MS5 8th for BA keys, ahead of 9th GSXM1.   A GSXM1 in 9.2 sold for $13,750 this month with 502(!) on the census.   MS5 in 9.2.....only 157!   So MS5 in 9.2 should go for more than whatever a GSXM1 gets, consistent with the $18K eBay sale you reference above.   2c   That MS5 9.8 coming up in June on Heritage is expected to blow away the lofty GSXM1 values we have seen in 9.8, and justifiably so as there are only FOUR of them (!) compared to 193 GSXM1 in 9.8.   Short story, there is nothing insane about an MS5 reaching and even exceeding $20K in grade 9.2, let alone a MS5 in 9.6 SS (so I expect that C-L to end up way higher).    

With those number im getting dizzy lol to think what it cost me 10 years ago......9.2 ow ss 3 sig 1k and then i tought i was mad buying it...never tought it would rise that quickly!then i tought 20 to 30 years,thats it im dizzy again with all those numbers lol

On 6/8/2021 at 8:37 PM, OtherEric said:

I recently lost my affiliation membership, the profit margin was just too tempting.  But I enjoyed it while it lasted 

It really was irresistible :D I sold my 7.0 recently after much internal struggle, but I think I only ended up pulling the trigger because I still had a raw beater copy on hand.

On 5/16/2021 at 11:01 AM, Pantodude said:

That MS5 9.8 coming up in June on Heritage is expected to blow away the lofty GSXM1 values we have seen in 9.8, and justifiably so as there are only FOUR of them (!) compared to 193 GSXM1 in 9.8. 

Not sure where this Heritage CGC 9.8 misaligned copy is going to finished up at, but your post from a full month ago definitely seems to be playing out as it is now sitting at $150K with the BP juice in there already, with still another day and a half to go:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/marvel-spotlight-5-ghost-rider-marvel-1972-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91011.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F5%2F24075926%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Holy Ghosts!  MS5 in 9.8 just went for $264K!  :ohnoez:   I think i was the ONLY one who predicted it.  (thumbsu   I specifically predicted it should go for multiples of whatever a GSMX1 in 9.8 fetches, and GSXM1 in 9.8 went for "only" $72K today.

Edited by Pantodude

6 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Holy Ghosts!  MS5 in 9.8 just went for $264K!  :ohnoez:   I think i was the ONLY one who predicted it.  (thumbsu   A while ago in the MS5 Affiliation thread, I more specifically predicted it should go for multiples of whatever a GSMX1 in 9.8 fetches, and I was right there too!   GSXM1 in 9.8 went for "only" $72K.

How did that sell for $264K?! I just don't get it. A 9.8 sold in a Heritage auction for $13K in 2013. I totally get that was 8 years ago and boy times have changed, but $264K!!!!

35 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

How did that sell for $264K?! I just don't get it. A 9.8 sold in a Heritage auction for $13K in 2013. I totally get that was 8 years ago and boy times have changed, but $264K!!!!

I could tell you how I predicted it but then I'd have to . . . , well you know the drill.  I like you, so I won't tell.  :devil:  But damn, it was on May 16 (!) that I predicted it would go for multiples of a GSXM1 in 9.8.  Uncanny. 

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I hope the buyer of that book really likes ghost rider.  

Well, maybe he'll try to grab Heritage's next MS5 (in 9.4 White) going live in 4 days.  It is currently sitting at $14.4K.  I can tell you this without disclosing my proprietary thinking:  that 9.4 book (just like that 9.8 which sat at $90K in the past few days) is currently a textbook steal relative to what other BA and CA keys have fetched in the past couple years, particularly recently.  If rationality prevails again, yall know my prediction on this 9.4 W MS5. 

With only 3 other  9.8s out there (none for sale now or otherwise since 2016), investors and die-hard collectors must vie for the relatively few 9.6s, 9.4s, etc. out there.  I am not aware of any 9.6s or 9.4s for sale since mid-2020!  

Edited by Pantodude

8 hours ago, FormerReader said:

I know to the person who bought it $264k is probably not much, but that is  a house. You could buy a 9.6 for a small fraction of the price and wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

EDITED:  Historically, a 9.6 MS5 has gone for at least half 1/5 to 1/6 a 9.8, give or take since 2000, and possibly more now if the experience with other BA keys is a guide.  I don't know where you're getting "small fraction" from.  But dunno, folks who seek out expensive 9.8s are often a differnt breed, and only a 9.8 will do.  (shrug)

Edited by Pantodude
boo boo