• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

now, don't be coy; i've seen some pretty fox books posted from time to time that would not require prurient commenatary.

Prurient comenatary? That would be Billy with his shirt off. But I can say no more.

I actually welcome and encourage prurient commentary. :shy:

now, don't be coy; i've seen some pretty fox books posted from time to time that would not require prurient commenatary.

Prurient comenatary? That would be Billy with his shirt off. But I can say no more.

Try saying that with your shirt off.

I would add to this wonderful thread, but most of my GA books are GGA and my commentary would pretty much just be about breasts (shrug)

[font:Times New Roman]That's a rather supersiliconeous excuse. [/font] :insane:

Comments always welcome, ...just because:

6ffa875a-2551-45eb-8e56-7fe2298681e6_zps9138f608.jpg

Try saying that with your shirt off.

[font:Times New Roman]He can't go there without it being tit for tat. [/font] :blush:

The people have spoken!

Very hot cover, and also the book that led to my first meeting with a fellow boardie (143ksk who posted my old copy earlier).

alltop16a_zpsf30ba622.jpg

Catfight! And CGC classic cover notation. This was my first pedigree book, and has the longest lust-to-discovery duration in my collection.

zoot16.jpg

If I recall correctly, this was my first GA auction win. Adrenaline! The books before this were purchased directly from dealers.

zoot11f_zpscc337f1e.jpeg

Playful Rulah -- too cute!

alltop08.jpg

This one came up for sale right after I started collecting Wonderworld. I had no clue what FMV was at the time, didn't care, still don't know, and still don't care.

w02f_zpsb0254264.jpg

cuz i bought it off the spinner at a tourist trap on fort walton beach as an 8 yr. old on my first florida vacation, and somehow still have it almost 50 years later. can remember trying out my little adjustable date stamp/pad i got for my 10th b'day about a year later. alot of my poor books got the treatment, but this is the only one i still have.

mt1uc.jpg

I don't know how many times I've heard the story (let me tell you, my geek is a storyteller)....but it never gets old.

Wonderful books and thread.

My first GA book. Back in the mid 70s a local second hand bookstore put aside old comics for me. One day I went in and they had Wonder 11, 13, 14 and 15 held for me. I really didn't want or appreciate them as I was looking for 60s Marvels but felt had to cough up the princely - to me anyways - sum of $50 or they might quit saving old comics for me. I still hate liver but I've changed my mind about the Wonder books and Zela's art.

wonder15.jpg

Picked this up when I got back into collecting in the 80s from a mail in auction. It was the most I'd ever paid for a book up to that point. Worked part time for a painter to raise the cash. Now I know this is a fairly common Timely, but when this arrived in the mail I was pretty excited. It was the first Timely I'd ever seen in the pulp. Times have sure changed with the internet, ebay, and all the other auction and sales sites.

scan0001.jpg

Considering my board name and my love of the Fantastic Four, SA Marvel and it's roots in the Timely era this book was a must have.

humantorch21-55.jpg

I just love this cover and love that it's a Canadian edition.

submariner3231-midgrade-825.jpg

Who doesn't love Cap? Purchased this year at the Calgary Comiccon from a boardie.

CaptainAmerica14-50-1700.jpg

This cover has everything for me. WW2 cover, Ducks, and a rollerskating cover. In the early 80s I managed a rollerskating rink and I love covers with that theme. The Patsy Walker #1 posted earlier in this thread is another skating cover I'd like to purchase. One recently came up on Heritage but I gave up when it crested double guide.

wdcs30.jpg

Nice response! GGA :luhv:

The people have spoken!

Very hot cover, and also the book that led to my first meeting with a fellow boardie (143ksk who posted my old copy earlier).

alltop16a_zpsf30ba622.jpg

Loving this thread so far. Lots of cool books and great stories and commentary!

Here's a story I told last year in the "Tales From the Comic Shop" thread. Rather that re-write, I'll just copy and paste.

=====================================

Back in the late 80s and early 90s I would frequent Fat Jack's Comicrypt in downtown Philadelphia. Mike, the owner, and Chuck, the manager, took notice of me when I bought a Whiz Comics #12 because they didn't know any other teenage kids buying golden age comics.

I struck up a friendship with them and would spend a lot of time in the store with them talking about old comics. I learned so much from those guys. Chuck in particular was a font of knowledge and introduced me to ECs, Good Girl Art, Pre-code Horror, and pulps. Frazetta and Williamson and Wood, Kamen and Baker and Feldstein. What a thrill that was.

I started going to college nearby and they offered to let me work part-time in the store. I was able to pretty much set my own hours. Mostly I graded and priced books and ran the register, but I loved every minute of it.

I didn't have a lot of money in those days, but I would occasionally buy a silver age key or a nice golden age book from the store and Chuck or Mike would always give me a good deal. Over the years since, I've sold all of those books. All except for one.

In November 1991, a man walked into the store with two liquor boxes filled with golden age DCs. The books had no bags or boards. Each box had two neat stacks of books, side by side. The guy's father had died and he had inherited the books. Mike negotiated a price with him and purchased the collection.

Back then Fat Jack's was a local distributor. This was new comic day, so the backroom of the store was filled with all the local dealers picking up their new books. Of course when they saw the books Mike had purchased, the feeding frenzy started.

Mike put the two boxes on a table and everyone queued up to look through them. There were about a dozen dealers there jockeying for position. And there was me. I don't remember how I did it, but somehow I got the second spot in line. It might have had something to do with my 6' 6" frame. :grin:

Mike pulled the books out of the boxes and neatly stacked them on the table. The books were mostly 1940-43, so no Action 1, no Detective 27, no Superman 1. But there were a lot of the other DC keys in the collection. The books were not priced, Mike had literally just purchased them minutes before. Just stacks of raw golden age goodness on the table!

The dealer in front of me, #1 in line, went through the first stack. As soon as he finished that stack I started on it. And so on. Dealer #1 just wanted the keys, and pulled every one out. I remember being dejected as I saw him pull a Batman 1, a Green Lantern 1, an All-Star 3, a Wonder Woman 1, and an All-Flash 1, and put them in his pile. There were probably others he took too. I can't remember all of them now.

But I had been keeping a keen eye on what he pulled and what he skipped. And right after he pulled the All-Star 3 I noticed that he skipped over the All-Star 8. Jackpot! When he was done with that stack I went right to that book and pulled it out. He glanced over and said "What do you want that book for?" I flipped to the back and showed him the first appearance of Wonder Woman. He had forgotten about that.

I wasn't even sure if I could afford the book or how I would pay for it. I guess I just had faith that I'd be able to work something out. I showed the book to Mike and he smiled, looked it over, pulled out his price guide, and quoted me a price of 40% of guide. Not off guide. Of guide.

Thanks Mike.

All-Star%2520Comics%2520%25238%2520CGC%2520VG-%25203.5.jpg

Awesome post! I was a regular at Fat Jacks when I was in college in Philly in 97 to 2003. I bought lots of silver age stuff including parts from them at great prices. They were always good to me as well.