• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

Is anyone else getting that early 90s bubble vibe in the comic market? It seems like there is more and more speculation going on.

The race for GOTG stuff, Hulk 271, the Marvel Premiere Antman issue, etc have really highlighted how desperate people are to chase the latest "hot" thing.

The craziness of the CPR crowd has also reached a peak that I doubt is sustainable.

I think we're going to see some ugly carnage among the speculators soon.

It is a different vibe, because there are not huge buyups at the wholesale level. That is what busted up the 90's market, Cases and cases of books being hoarded and retailers having to eat books that were pre-ordered with the idea that sales were going to remain high. When the speculators had to eat their cases of Superman 500 and the retailers who couldn't pay their Capital or Diamond bill folded, poof!!

The specing on back issues that is going on now is very reminiscent of the specing that was done in the late 80's early 90's - you just switch out "new movie" for "new ongoing series." 1990 - Deathlok gets new series, Astonishing Tales back issues go bananas. 2013 - Antman is getting a movie, Marvel Premiere 47-48 go apespit.

It seems more drastic because the stratification of grades and the slabbed comic market makes everything seem so out of control, from a pure price standpoint. But it really is very similar. And it is my belief that specing on back issues will not have as horrible an effect as the speculator bust of the 90's because there are fewer potential losers.

Is anyone else getting that early 90s bubble vibe in the comic market? It seems like there is more and more speculation going on.

The race for GOTG stuff, Hulk 271, the Marvel Premiere Antman issue, etc have really highlighted how desperate people are to chase the latest "hot" thing.

The craziness of the CPR crowd has also reached a peak that I doubt is sustainable.

+1 good get them out !

Amen! :wishluck:

Yeah, that is probably a better comparison.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out this time, given the differences you mentioned.

It is a different vibe, because there are not huge buyups at the wholesale level. That is what busted up the 90's market, Cases and cases of books being hoarded and retailers having to eat books that were pre-ordered with the idea that sales were going to remain high. When the speculators had to eat their cases of Superman 500 and the retailers who couldn't pay their Capital or Diamond bill folded, poof!!

The specing on back issues that is going on now is very reminiscent of the specing that was done in the late 80's early 90's - you just switch out "new movie" for "new ongoing series." 1990 - Deathlok gets new series, Astonishing Tales back issues go bananas. 2013 - Antman is getting a movie, Marvel Premiere 47-48 go apespit.

It seems more drastic because the stratification of grades and the slabbed comic market makes everything seem so out of control, from a pure price standpoint. But it really is very similar. And it is my belief that specing on back issues will not have as horrible an effect as the speculator bust of the 90's because there are fewer potential losers.

+1 good get them out !

Amen! :wishluck:

It cant happen soon enough. I cant image doing shows with some of them.

X-Men 317 ( second print),

:shrug:

Yeah, I don't believe there was a second print for 317. There was a version with a red bar instead of a holo-foil (or something special) bar down the right-hand side of the front cover. It was either the newsstand version or just a non-special cover.

Yes, that was the "standard" version, with a cover price $1 less than the "Deluxe" holo-foil cover. Not a newsstand, however, as the newsstand I worked at when this came out got the Deluxe version.

-slym

Once again I have stumbled. Please forgive me.

It helped us all stumble into what exactly that red version was. (thumbs u

yeah i started a thread about this a couple weeks ago when purchasing my copies, seems neither is more rare or more sought after at this point. bought a bunch of copies for an average of 3 bucks a copy delivered

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

Too many printed & squirreled away in hopes of making a million off of it later for it to have any real value.

-slym

Yeah I thought that about NM 98 too.

As RMA has pointed out in his 50 point thesis, this was not the case with NM 98, which was no more hoarded/speculated than any other second tier Marvel title. Hence we can have Iron Man 282 being worth something as well.

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

Too many printed & squirreled away in hopes of making a million off of it later for it to have any real value.

-slym

As RMA has pointed out in his 50 point thesis, this was not the case with NM 98, which was no more hoarded/speculated than any other second tier Marvel title. Hence we can have Iron Man 282 being worth something as well.

A local store owner has been selling off his case of NM 98s the past 3 years bit by bit. He broke out a case of Spider-Man #1 Silver and Infinity Gauntlet #1 for the big local show in September. There are still plenty of LCS owners that have books in storage.

WRT NM 98, 3 or 4 of years back one LCS owner had to raise cash fast and another LCS owner helped him out by buying 10,000 overstock books, mostly CA and early MA - there was some in it, but he also cobbled together a long box of NM 98s from it.

Remember, the Leifeld run was hot due to the artwork and Cable. There are still plenty of copies out there.

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

-slym

Please do not invent statements out of thin air, and then attribute them to me. I said nothing even remotely like that.

Thank you.

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

-slym

A local store owner has been selling off his case of NM 98s the past 3 years bit by bit. He broke out a case of Spider-Man #1 Silver and Infinity Gauntlet #1 for the big local show in September. There are still plenty of LCS owners that have books in storage.

WRT NM 98, 3 or 4 of years back one LCS owner had to raise cash fast and another LCS owner helped him out by buying 10,000 overstock books, mostly CA and early MA - there was some in it, but he also cobbled together a long box of NM 98s from it.

Remember, the Leifeld run was hot due to the artwork and Cable. There are still plenty of copies out there.

Again...the plural of anecdote is not evidence. There are an infinite number of stories. There is a finite number of copies that actually exist.

Let's please not make the very serious mistake of trying to compare X-Men #4...which had a print run over one million copies, with sales NEAR a million...with New Mutants #98, which had a print run of ~250k, and sales around 200,000.

I mean, seriously, people. That's just beyond any attempt at reason. The two books are clearly not in the same league.

The reality is, gentlemen, that while New Mutants #98...and its fellow books...may have "plenty of copies" available, as kimik puts it...or "was no more hoarded/speculated than any other second tier Marvel title", as the blob imagines others have put it...it is not, and never was, a glut book, like X-Force #1, X-Men #4, and the other books that came after it.

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

-slym

Please do not invent statements out of thin air, and then attribute them to me. I said nothing even remotely like that.

Thank you.

How is that not in substance what you said? (And with which I agree) Should I say third tier title? I would have figured third tier would be under 100k.

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

-slym

Thank you.

How is that not in substance what you said? (And with which I agree) Should I say third tier title? I would have figured third tier would be under 100k.

I never said it was "no more hoarded/speculated than any other second tier Marvel title", because that is not even remotely true (and which I have already explained, in very, very great detail, in the other thread.)

So, no, it's not in substance what I said at all.

It was, in fact, hoarded. But the degree to which it was hoarded can be measured in handfuls to dozens of copies per hoarder...not hundreds and thousands of copies per hoarder, like X-Men #1, for example.

No one was hoarding copies of Daredevil #289. Many people were hoarding quite a few copies of New Mutants #98. Thousands of people were hoarding millions of copies of X-Men #1.

Perspective.

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

-slym

Again...the plural of anecdote is not evidence. There are an infinite number of stories. There is a finite number of copies that actually exist.

Let's please not make the very serious mistake of trying to compare X-Men #4...which had a print run over one million copies, with sales NEAR a million...with New Mutants #98, which had a print run of ~250k, and sales around 200,000.

I mean, seriously, people. That's just beyond any attempt at reason. The two books are clearly not in the same league.

The reality is, gentlemen, that while New Mutants #98...and its fellow books...may have "plenty of copies" available, as kimik puts it...or "was no more hoarded/speculated than any other second tier Marvel title", as the blob imagines others have put it...it is not, and never was, a glut book, like X-Force #1, X-Men #4, and the other books that came after it.

I would agree with that. It wasnt Deadpool that made it popular it was the artist back then. I wouldnt call it a glut book either it was around what 3 or 4 months before the glut started.

I guess for some of us its that were active in comics during that time, its hard to justify the price knowing the time period it came from.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Xmen 4? First Omega Red

-slym

I would agree with that. It wasnt Deadpool that made it popular it was the artist back then. I wouldnt call it a glut book either it was around what 3 or 4 months before the glut started.

I guess for some of us its that were active in comics during that time, its hard to justify the price knowing the time period it came from.

Just like the comic shops around here had it as a wall book... with the notation being "1st app. Gideon and Domino. lol

I didn't see any of them listing it as Deadpool's 1st appearance until after his first mini-series came out. :insane:

PS - Darkhawk is awesome.

^^

This is what I got out of this thread!

I stumbled upon this the other day. Check out #1...and since this is the Copper forum #2 as well.

Coolest Marvel Superheroes You've Never Heard Of - Yahoo!

Edited by awakeintheashes

Hi,

This is my 1st post, so please bear with me.

I collect alot of books from SA to current and OA. I do not sell anything, much to my wife's dismay.

Anyway, 2 books that i think have potential to jump are Batman #407 which is 1st James Gordon, Jr. And New X-Men #128, 1st Fantomex.

Enjoy your holiday. jp

I could see the Gordon Jr taking off. Depends on future involvement and of course movie speculation :lol: I think the 128 is alread enjoying some heat over the last year. You can still find it in the wild cheap some places but prices have been decent for a 9.8 for a while now.