• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

PS. JLI #40 is one of the most gut wrenching comics I have ever read. #38-41 is one of the best arcs in comics. So very, very underrated.

Agreed 100%!

The storyline with Despero was simply amazing and a nice change of pace from the usual stories of the title. Giffen and DeMatteis proved they could do "serious" stories on a very high level (not that there was anything wrong with the bwa-ha-ha stories in the previous issues, which were marvelous as well).

Agreed/Thirded. The 60 issue Giffen/DeMatteis run is still my favorite run on any superhero comic, and that is one of the best arcs, by far.

True, I grew up with it the book, so I am definitely biased by nostalgia, but I still love the way they mixed humor, drama, fantasy and realism. For a superhero comic it was so different from anything else on the stands, in that there were large, vast stretches of time where nothing really "happened", and the characters were just allowed to grow. This growth made the stakes seem much higher when the action went down.

I still have such genuine fondness for the characters, even in the hands of other creators, because of this run. When DC killed Ted Kord, it absolutely broke my heart, because of how much JLI made me care for him.

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread, but I will definitely endorse Booster Gold #1 as a sleeper. It was quarter bin fodder for many, many years, so I thought it would be easy to dig up a nice minty fresh copy. Took me MUCH longer to track down a raw 9.8 than I ever would have thought, and I gladly paid about $15 for it at the time, because of how long I'd been searching. I'm not at all surprised to see the price on the 9.8's exploding. While he may have been a punchline for many years, there are a lot of folks like me who have very a very strong fondness for the JLI series. If you factor in the solo series from Geoff Johns, his role in Justice League Unlimited (he even had his own solo/feature episode) and his continued appearance in the DCU, he's one of the few 1980's characters that really stuck. I'm glad he's getting his due.

PS. JLI #40 is one of the most gut wrenching comics I have ever read. #38-41 is one of the best arcs in comics. So very, very underrated.

I think I have a page from that issue. Great stuff

Thoughts on Dark Knight Returns #4?

It's a book that I used to be able to find pretty cheap that seems to be trending up on ebay over the last few months. It's from a classic series & features Frank Millers original interpretation of the Batman/Superman relationship that has been followed for the last 25-30 years.

I hadn't really been keeping up with the movie news but recently read that it will be the inspiration for (although not an adaption of) the Superman vs Batman movie. When introducing the film there was a direct quote from Millers writing:

"I want you to remember, Clark. In all the years to come. In all your most private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."

Booster Gold is really a stretch. I will be more then happy to cash in on the book, but who we kidding here. This book is easy to find an any grade.

Be happy to be more then wrong, but always thought he was C lister in DCU.

I'm not going to disagree with you but the recent 9.8 sales sure do.

Booster Gold is really a stretch. I will be more then happy to cash in on the book, but who we kidding here. This book is easy to find an any grade.

Since I dont follow slabs as I do raw, is it a result of a low amount of 9.8s? Overall popularity? Or some newbie speculators thinking they are gonna corner a market??

Edited by Fastballspecial

Thoughts on Dark Knight Returns #4?

It's a book that I used to be able to find pretty cheap that seems to be trending up on ebay over the last few months. It's from a classic series & features Frank Millers original interpretation of the Batman/Superman relationship that has been followed for the last 25-30 years.

I hadn't really been keeping up with the movie news but recently read that it will be the inspiration for (although not an adaption of) the Superman vs Batman movie. When introducing the film there was a direct quote from Millers writing:

"I want you to remember, Clark. In all the years to come. In all your most private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you."

I think DK will continue to appreciate in value until they give us a more detailed look at the -script for Batman/Superman. Everyone is betting its similiar to DK and its not a bad bet as recent sales suggest.

Since I dont follow slabs as I do raw, is it a result of a low amount of 9.8s? Overall popularity? Or some newbie speculators thinking they are gonna corner a market??

IMO, a little bit of A and little bit of B/nostalgia. As for noob speculators, I don't think they know who BG is. They are still selling copies of ASM 700 variants and buying any new Campbell variant that hits the market. That or they went back to box breaks and chasing refractors :wishluck:

Edited by awakeintheashes

IMO, a little bit of A and little bit of B/nostalgia. As for noob speculators, I don't think they know who BG is. They are still selling copies of ASM 700 variants and buying any new Campbell variant that hits the market. That or they went back to box breaks and chasing refractors :wishluck:

That was great :roflmao:

Edited by Fastballspecial

You have won at the internet. I guess your collection is stocked with Detective Comics #1 from when you were a "noob".

Edited by ygogolak

You have won at the internet. I guess your collection is stocked with Detective Comics #1 from when you were a "noob".

300px-Detective_Comics_Vol_2_1.jpgDetectiveComics1.jpg

(shrug)

WTTB

Edited by awakeintheashes

(shrug)

WTTB

It doesn't look like either have a 3D cover, so I would pass.

(shrug)

WTTB

It doesn't look like either have a 3D cover, so I would pass.

RoorSmiley.gif

disagree on your pooping on the campbell variants. so long as they don't overdo them and he sticks to drawing the ladies, i think they can hold up.

meaning he shouldn't do more than one a year.

problem is, they ALWAYS overdo it and kill the goose that laid the golden eggs.

if he pumps one out every month each succesive one will be less sought after until nobody cares.

fact is, in the almost 13 or so years he's been doing spidey books what are we looking at, less than 10 regular or variant black cat/mary jane covers? that's keeping the supply relatively limited.

maybe it's time to do a gwen stacy back from the dead sexy cover for 2014?

betty brant is like what, 70 nowadays?

i don't want to see aunt mae in a bikini