• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
23 23

2,915 posts in this topic

Hi all, I just started getting into comics (at age 37!) but have always been a nerd/geek (Star Wars, D&D, computer games, Magic: The Gathering cards, etc.) and have bought random copies here and there over the years, whenever a title/cover struck my interest. My son has been into superhero characters for a few years now, and we were leafing through the comics bin at Half Price books a few months back when I stumbled upon the awesome Michael Golden cover on Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #55. I knew nothing about it except that I loved the cover. I quickly looked up the issue on my phone and read that many consider it to be one of the best-written DS stories, so I picked up for a whole $1 (condition issues). I ended up enjoying it, and recently decided to start picking up some other DS issues -- I'm really drawn to the Frank Brunner pieces in vol. 2. Then I read that a movie is coming out next year, and decided to accelerate my purchases of some of my favorite covers before they become too much more expensive. I should be posting up some raw Doc Strange goodness in the next week or so!

Welcome Vorpal!

Based on what you wrote, I think you're going to love this place. You are among fellow enthusiasts.

Have fun!

Hi all, I just started getting into comics (at age 37!) but have always been a nerd/geek (Star Wars, D&D, computer games, Magic: The Gathering cards, etc.) and have bought random copies here and there over the years, whenever a title/cover struck my interest. My son has been into superhero characters for a few years now, and we were leafing through the comics bin at Half Price books a few months back when I stumbled upon the awesome Michael Golden cover on Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #55. I knew nothing about it except that I loved the cover. I quickly looked up the issue on my phone and read that many consider it to be one of the best-written DS stories, so I picked up for a whole $1 (condition issues). I ended up enjoying it, and recently decided to start picking up some other DS issues -- I'm really drawn to the Frank Brunner pieces in vol. 2. Then I read that a movie is coming out next year, and decided to accelerate my purchases of some of my favorite covers before they become too much more expensive. I should be posting up some raw Doc Strange goodness in the next week or so!

Welcome Vorpal!

Based on what you wrote, I think you're going to love this place. You are among fellow enthusiasts.

Have fun!

Yes. Welcome to the Boards!

I would like to reintroduce myself.my name is blind adam. I took some time off from the boards . I am going blind from a rare eye condition and love comic books and all other geek or nerd popularcultuer. I have some diffcultallies with writing . meaning my grammar and spelling suck. like really suck. my favorite comics are daredevil especially the frank miller & kevin smith runs. amazing spider-man,batman especially the current new 52 series. tmnt dork most x books. I will try anything once. I am a convention dealer and do most of the pug production shows in new jersey. I also do winter con and acbc boardwalk con. I read my comic books on a special computer that reads them out louad to me or via a reader . I also have my own podcast on you tube. called awesomesauce commix . I have been on the howard stren show a few times . just serch for howiewood squares 2003. I am a stand up comadain as well as a short film maker. and as far as I know I am the only blind comic book dealer in the world. I am also diging the new pre 52 runs of supergirl and the road to flashpoint stories.all the current superhero television shows reek of awesomness. supergirl,the flash,arrow,gotham daredevil and Jessica joens will be great. I am also looking forward to getting back to doing conventions as a dealer. I was riped off by my last business partner and I am trying hard as heck to get back into the game . I posted a help wanted post in comics events. I am also a hudge fan of all the kevin smith movies as well as any movie by tarintino . pulp fiction is the s***. batman the anmated series as well as tmnt are classic cartoons . my goals are to become the best comic book dealer sight or no sight . I will not allow something as silly as blindness keep me from loving comic books and movies and sexy girls. cos players are awesomesauce . have an amazing and awesome day and thank you for being an amazing board family

blind adam out

I would like to reintroduce myself.my name is blind adam. I took some time off from the boards . I am going blind from a rare eye condition and love comic books and all other geek or nerd popularcultuer. I have some diffcultallies with writing . meaning my grammar and spelling suck. like really suck. my favorite comics are daredevil especially the frank miller & kevin smith runs. amazing spider-man,batman especially the current new 52 series. tmnt dork most x books. I will try anything once. I am a convention dealer and do most of the pug production shows in new jersey. I also do winter con and acbc boardwalk con. I read my comic books on a special computer that reads them out louad to me or via a reader . I also have my own podcast on you tube. called awesomesauce commix . I have been on the howard stren show a few times . just serch for howiewood squares 2003. I am a stand up comadain as well as a short film maker. and as far as I know I am the only blind comic book dealer in the world. I am also diging the new pre 52 runs of supergirl and the road to flashpoint stories.all the current superhero television shows reek of awesomness. supergirl,the flash,arrow,gotham daredevil and Jessica joens will be great. I am also looking forward to getting back to doing conventions as a dealer. I was riped off by my last business partner and I am trying hard as heck to get back into the game . I posted a help wanted post in comics events. I am also a hudge fan of all the kevin smith movies as well as any movie by tarintino . pulp fiction is the s***. batman the anmated series as well as tmnt are classic cartoons . my goals are to become the best comic book dealer sight or no sight . I will not allow something as silly as blindness keep me from loving comic books and movies and sexy girls. cos players are awesomesauce . have an amazing and awesome day and thank you for being an amazing board family

blind adam out

Hi Adam,

Belated welcome!

I just read the 10/23/15 article about you in NorthJersey.com. Great article...and I love the Daredevil story. I'll have to search for the Stern appearances - I definitely want to watch that. :)

I wish you much success with the comic biz. Again, welcome aboard!

Greetings everyone! I don't mind mentioning that I am 61 years old and have read more comic books in my lifetime as a child. I started reading comics around 1960. Now, this may have nothing to do with collecting but I remember having a Mickey Mantle trading card. At the time, I had no idea who he was. I was not interested in baseball. Comics was the tool used in helping me increase my reading level during my childhood. My parents had three sons and a daughter. My siblings and I had a garage full of comics. It wasn't until later when I purchased my first issue of The Spectacular Spiderman 1979 by Marvel. I still have that today. My oldest magazine is the first issue of Playboy with Marilyn Monroe on the cover. I found that in my dad's hidden spot in his garage. I "borrowed it" for the articles! And yes, I still own that one today.

I am completely naive to this new genre I've chosen to take part in. It will take me awhile to understand the language of collecting. I've never done this before so please be patient. Presently, I really don't understand the grading principle behind deciding which books are considered more rare but I'm willing to learn.

My youngest son still owns the first four copies of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Thank goodness he listened to the 'old man' and put them away when he was a kid!

Hey there! I am fairly new to the boards. I have been reading comics since a very young age but only got into serious collecting about 4 years ago. My first Hulk 181 was the Kickstarter and ever since then I've not looked back. My obsession is not the worst as I fill up about three to four long boxes a year. Love the hobby, love the art, love the characters and love the crowd.

Cheers!

Hey everyone, my name is Rob and I'm glad I found this board. I used to read comics when I was a kid in the mid 80s and pretty much stopped in the early 90's when I started high school. I got into silver age stuff at a young age from reading marvel saga books. Fortunately there was a small used book store that had a ton of 60s books so that's what I started reading. So over the past two years I've gotten back into it because I started buying the Marvel Omnibus books to reminisce and went and got all my old collection from my dads house. Thinking about sending some books off to be graded and just want to see what the overall experience was with CGC and what type of books are better off not being sent.

Hey everyone, my name is Rob and I'm glad I found this board. I used to read comics when I was a kid in the mid 80s and pretty much stopped in the early 90's when I started high school. I got into silver age stuff at a young age from reading marvel saga books. Fortunately there was a small used book store that had a ton of 60s books so that's what I started reading. So over the past two years I've gotten back into it because I started buying the Marvel Omnibus books to reminisce and went and got all my old collection from my dads house. Thinking about sending some books off to be graded and just want to see what the overall experience was with CGC and what type of books are better off not being sent.

if its just for your own collection, then send whatever you love. If you plan to sell now or later, most stuff in the 80's/90's would only be worth it was totally flawless, unless its a major key comic. To gauge prices of slabbed sales, you can look at GPA (paid service), ebay COMPLETED SALES, and sales data from other auction houses. For all comics, you should probably make sure the comic is worth noticeably more graded than the relializable value + grading costs (make sure to include shipping costs too), and leave a cushion for not getting the grade right.

For example, if you have a 90's book that you can sell right now for $10, but sell for $60 in CGC 9.8, you have to weigh in the grading fee plus shipping (there and back), maybe about $25 total. Plus there's risk of damage in transit and risk of getting something below a 9.8, where you'll be lucky to break even. Plus the opportunity cost of the $35 for 4 months while you wait to get the book back from CGC. So you've invested $25 for a chance to make $25 more. Which isn't awful, but your ROI is 2:1 at BEST on that $25, when it could have been higher than 3:1 on your original $3 investment selling for $10, a million times faster with much less risk. But its up to you and your own preferences and financial situation.

Good luck, and maybe don't submit ALL your books the first time out. Maybe 4 or 5 so you can get a feel for the grading standards.

if its just for your own collection, then send whatever you love. If you plan to sell now or later, most stuff in the 80's/90's would only be worth it was totally flawless, unless its a major key comic. To gauge prices of slabbed sales, you can look at GPA (paid service), ebay COMPLETED SALES, and sales data from other auction houses. For all comics, you should probably make sure the comic is worth noticeably more graded than the relializable value + grading costs (make sure to include shipping costs too), and leave a cushion for not getting the grade right.

For example, if you have a 90's book that you can sell right now for $10, but sell for $60 in CGC 9.8, you have to weigh in the grading fee plus shipping (there and back), maybe about $25 total. Plus there's risk of damage in transit and risk of getting something below a 9.8, where you'll be lucky to break even. Plus the opportunity cost of the $35 for 4 months while you wait to get the book back from CGC. So you've invested $25 for a chance to make $25 more. Which isn't awful, but your ROI is 2:1 at BEST on that $25, when it could have been higher than 3:1 on your original $3 investment selling for $10, a million times faster with much less risk. But its up to you and your own preferences and financial situation.

Good luck, and maybe don't submit ALL your books the first time out. Maybe 4 or 5 so you can get a feel for the grading standards.

Thanks Revat, I think I might try and get some of my favorite 12 cent books graded then. I was really into Kirby stuff when I was a kid. I put one of the Thor books in the PGM section. Figure if I get all the silver age omnibus books I wont need to read my comics anymore.

Hey Guys.

My name is Andy and I recently got back into collecting comics earlier this year. I'd heard about CGC but never really thought I had anything of value other than personal. I was looking somewhere and saw that New Teen Titans #2 was a sought after book since it was Deathstroke's first appearance. Being a big Nightwing/Teen Titans fan in my earlier years(still am) I thought to myself, I have that book in one of my long boxes in the basement closet. I didn't know what kind of shape it was in because I bought those books in my teens, and I'm now in my 30s and have moved too many times to think about. I rummaged through the closet and opened up the long box, prayed a little under my breath, and pulled issue 2 out and gasped when it was in great shape! Sent it off to CGC and got a 9.6 white pages. Now I'm addicted. Since then I've sent off over 30 books, been to numerous cons, and all you collectors have inspired me to collect back the original Teen Titans run from 66'. Didn't even realize some of those books were early Neal Adams work, and it blew me away. I loved all the Nick Cardy covers and artwork. My plans for 2016 will be to hunt down a Brave and the Bold 54 and 60.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and I look forward to collecting with you guys.

Andy aka SludgesicleMan

Edited by Sludgesicle Man

Hey everybody,

Like a lot of the cats on here - was a huge collector when I was younger and only recently got back into it after reading a Saga TPB. The book was awesome and has turned me back into an 11-year-old comic addict.

I just joined the registry and everyone I've encountered has been very cool. I hope to keep up the trend.

I collect all things SAGA - right now looking for all 9.8 and higher Sig Series and the elusive Saga 15 9.9 and Saga 22 9.9. One day I will find them!! Haha.

Anyway, this place is awesome. Looking forward to talking shop.

-Chris

Hi,

Just found this forum -- looks really interesting. My main comic collecting interest is in Silver and Bronze Age DC's, although I'm also very keen on Golden Age stuff too (just can't afford to collect it!) That's not to say I don't mind the odd Marvel as well. ;) As a kid I grew up loving a lot of British artists like Brian Bolland (used to be a big Dredd fan), but the older me now really respects Carmine Infantino -- not just for the artwork, but also the impact the guy had on DC, and the industry at large.

Recently, because of the CBS tv show, I decided to reacquaint myself with Supergirl's pre-Crisis history, and ended up creating an interactive (Web 3.0) page to document all 430+ of her Silver/Bronze Age issues (link below.) Every plot, artist, writer, guest character, etc... I hoped it might be a useful resource for fellow comic collectors. I've been mulling over doing other guides for other characters, but I really need some feedback first. And probably some help too. So, once I've settled in, I might want to pick a few people's brains. ;)

Pre-Crisis Supergirl Chronology

R5

Hi everyone. My name is Eldin. I'm a longtime collector (going on 30 years and 60 long boxes now) and infrequent lurker on these boards. I figure it's time to start interacting with my fellow collectors.

I love Silver Age Marvel books, specifically X-Men and Spider-Man. My collecting goal is to acquire the complete run of the original X-Men series and I'm getting pretty close. I never really thought about slabbing any of my books and didn't own one until I purchased an X-Men #8 earlier this year that was already graded. I do read current books and collect a mix of DC, Marvel and Image with a few other publishers thrown in for good measure.

I look forward to contributing to the group!