• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
23 23

2,915 posts in this topic

I've been cheating and posting sporadically without introducing here..... so I've finally decided to do one of these!

I first got hooked on comics when I walked into my LCS at the time, Atomic Comics in Mesa and picked up UXM 248. Jim Lees art won me over and I have been collecting UXM since that day. Made the jump to Image with those guys when they left Marvel, and later to Valiant.

When the crash happened I slowed down and didn't buy as much, since it was much more cost effective to wait a few months and pull books out of the $1 or less bins. And let's face it, there wasn't a whole lot during this period that was worth reading anyway. Stayed sporadic until 2006 or so, when I started buying new issues again. I ended up getting interested in collecting vintage pens and my buying dropped off again.

Then, as fate would have it, I went with my friend mid last year to pick up his books from his pull list and I decided to check out a few new books. For all the negative comments on this Secret Wars line, it actually hooked me and is the reason I'm buying so many books monthly now. Jump ahead a few months and I'm not getting 30+ new books a month, as well as filling in huge chunks of my assorted X books. I even managed to fill in 98-248 on UXM in about 2 months.

It was also around this time that I started sending off books to CGC. The increased price on sales is nice, but honestly I just like having books in those cases. Sure, mylites + fullbacks are probably adequate storage for books, but there is just something really cool about having my favorite books in the CGC cases.

I've been cheating and posting sporadically without introducing here..... so I've finally decided to do one of these!

I first got hooked on comics when I walked into my LCS at the time, Atomic Comics in Mesa and picked up UXM 248. Jim Lees art won me over and I have been collecting UXM since that day. Made the jump to Image with those guys when they left Marvel, and later to Valiant.

When the crash happened I slowed down and didn't buy as much, since it was much more cost effective to wait a few months and pull books out of the $1 or less bins. And let's face it, there wasn't a whole lot during this period that was worth reading anyway. Stayed sporadic until 2006 or so, when I started buying new issues again. I ended up getting interested in collecting vintage pens and my buying dropped off again.

Then, as fate would have it, I went with my friend mid last year to pick up his books from his pull list and I decided to check out a few new books. For all the negative comments on this Secret Wars line, it actually hooked me and is the reason I'm buying so many books monthly now. Jump ahead a few months and I'm not getting 30+ new books a month, as well as filling in huge chunks of my assorted X books. I even managed to fill in 98-248 on UXM in about 2 months.

It was also around this time that I started sending off books to CGC. The increased price on sales is nice, but honestly I just like having books in those cases. Sure, mylites + fullbacks are probably adequate storage for books, but there is just something really cool about having my favorite books in the CGC cases.

Great to have you here. :applause:

Hi!

I'm a long time lurker and collector from Sweden. In the 80's as a kid in my early teens I had a little comic-book shop together with my brother. Three years ago I've stared a Record-shop (with some comic-books also). My shop now:

Mostly I collect Marvel from the 60s and the 70s.

Hey guys my name is Dale I'm a long time lurker and fan of the site. I'm a random issue type of collector, but I do try to collect some of the key issues out there. I have also started in on collecting raw and CGC signed issues recently. My Top 3 that I follow would be Spider-man, Hulk, and Deadpool.

Hi all, just made my first board purchase so I figured I should follow up with an introduction.

I’m back to the hobby after a long hiatus since collecting lots in the 90’s. I recently went through 3 long boxes of my comics I’d left in my parents’ attic and culled them down to one. Cringe-worthy stuff mostly (Brigades, Shadowhawks, 90's X-Men, X-Force, Ninjak, McFarlane stuff, Punishers, new-suit DD, hologram covers, and the like.) Classic 90’s excess. You’re welcome Goodwill.

I’ve kept the cream- 80’s-90’s Marvel keys and #1’s, short runs of Hellboy, Sandman, X-Men, and some independents, a handful of bronze and silver randoms including early Conan, AV57, SS4, GSX1, HULK181. Also faves like a newsstand copy of SS50 that was the first comic I bagged and boarded and treated nice.

Anyhow I’ve been buying the odd book over the last couple years and am loving new directions in collecting. The book that re-ignited my interest was a VF copy of Astonishing Tales 26 that looks sooo creamy in mylar.

Now I’m looking out for a lot of older covers that I never got back in the day- Man-Things, Marvel King-Sizes & bronze horror, early Morbius, early Surfer, 70’s Hulks, etc

Also got a new craving for some silver/bronze DC books- DC war, Sea Devils, and Diana Prince WW issues.

My focus is on pretty covers with eye-appeal, not hung up on condition so much as I still need to eat!

AF1QipNnesUOrrg-ZvamK1yeS_3o-oHrNP6lz0bnQsbB

Edited by skrank!

Anyhow I’ve been buying the odd book over the last couple years and am loving new directions in collecting. The book that re-ignited my interest was a VF copy of Astonishing Tales 26 that looks sooo creamy in mylar.

Now I’m looking out for a lot of older covers that I never got back in the day- Man-Things, Marvel King-Sizes & bronze horror, early Morbius, early Surfer, 70’s Hulks, etc

Also got a new craving for some silver/bronze DC books- DC war, Sea Devils, and Diana Prince WW issues.

My focus is on pretty covers with eye-appeal, not hung up on condition so much as I still need to eat!

Welcome! (thumbs u

You can’t go wrong with Iron Man #14 too, I have seen you picked it: one of the best stories of the early run, besides having one of Marvel's best covers ever, IMO. :)

Hello, everyone:

I've read and collected comics since the mid-'70s, but I sold off most of my first collection in the early 90s and didn't return to regularly buying monthlies again, and starting a second collection, until the mid-2000s. I'm interested in all sorts of comics (superhero and otherwise), and particularly titles from the smaller publishers (e.g., Kitchen Sink, Eclipse, Pacific, Valiant, etc.). Recently, I've been on a hunt for bronze-age barbarian and sword and sorcery books, which is what led me here.

There's a ton of information on these boards, and I'm already glad I found the place!

Hey Guys,

J here (never Jay, long story.)

Been in this game since I was about 8 when my dad started letting me buy 1 new stand per grocery trip. Then finally he started getting me Layton Iron Man's (he was always an Iron Man guy) before finally letting me get my first wall book, a MacFarlane ASM.

I ended up getting all the fireside books that collected origins, as well as the enyclopedias about the bad guys with their power levels. I was hooked. I made some horrible comics at a local copy store.

Fast foward to college, I had my collection (no keys really) in my garage, I was handed Watchmen and Arkham Asylyum, the next day I spent $150 of grocery money at the LCS.

Now I'm a 30 book a week buyer, (still waiting to bite the bullet and become a key collector), and luckily enough in this economy I've landed a job with a comic company as Manager of Marketing. Not sure if I can say which one

Love the forum, even the sometimes spooish behaviour and hate. you guys know your stuff and are a fun bunch.

Hi! I'm Paul Kupperberg, funny book fan of 55 years, writer of 'em 40 years for Charlton Neo, DC, Archie, Bongo, and others (as well as author of a couple dozen books and many short stories...and even coloring books and Mad Libs), and one-time editor at DC (as well as Weekly World News). Comics is in my blood; I honestly don't remember a time in my life when there weren't comic books around. I was always a DC boy, but I read everything growing up in the 1960s and 70s, got involved in fanzine publishing with Paul Levitz in 1971, sold my first stories to Charlton in 1975, then to DC later that year, and now it's 40 years later and I dunno what the hell happened..... :cry:

Welcome, Paul. Weekly World News - I talked a while with Bob Greenberger at a convention, and that sounded like quite an interesting place to work.

Say hello to Bat Boy for me.

Hi! I'm Paul Kupperberg, funny book fan of 55 years, writer of 'em 40 years for Charlton Neo, DC, Archie, Bongo, and others (as well as author of a couple dozen books and many short stories...and even coloring books and Mad Libs), and one-time editor at DC (as well as Weekly World News). Comics is in my blood; I honestly don't remember a time in my life when there weren't comic books around. I was always a DC boy, but I read everything growing up in the 1960s and 70s, got involved in fanzine publishing with Paul Levitz in 1971, sold my first stories to Charlton in 1975, then to DC later that year, and now it's 40 years later and I dunno what the hell happened..... :cry:

That’s great to have you there – welcome!

I rarely have read DC comics but knew your name by fame. :)

Hi all, I just started getting into comics (at age 37!) but have always been a nerd/geek (Star Wars, D&D, computer games, Magic: The Gathering cards, etc.) and have bought random copies here and there over the years, whenever a title/cover struck my interest. My son has been into superhero characters for a few years now, and we were leafing through the comics bin at Half Price books a few months back when I stumbled upon the awesome Michael Golden cover on Doctor Strange Vol. 2 #55. I knew nothing about it except that I loved the cover. I quickly looked up the issue on my phone and read that many consider it to be one of the best-written DS stories, so I picked up for a whole $1 (condition issues). I ended up enjoying it, and recently decided to start picking up some other DS issues -- I'm really drawn to the Frank Brunner pieces in vol. 2. Then I read that a movie is coming out next year, and decided to accelerate my purchases of some of my favorite covers before they become too much more expensive. I should be posting up some raw Doc Strange goodness in the next week or so!