• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2024 at 10:22 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Hey guys I've been a member for awhile and have interacted with a couple of members here and bought some books but never formally introduced myself. Been collecting since the early 80's ever since my stepfather introduced me to comics shortly after marrying my mom. Never took a break from collecting except for a couple of years in the 90's when I was a broke college student. Currently looking to distil my collection of over 17,000 comics down to specific keys and runs. Glad to be among like minded collectors.

Welcome to the boards.  17,000 books is about 60 longs, you've been busy.

My name is Lance, I’m an artist and restauranteur from the Midwest.  In December I retrieved 3 long boxes of comics from my parents that had been sitting untouched since 1990.  My grade school self did quite well collecting and to my surprise I found many of the hottest comics on the market right now. I fully intended on cashing them in, but while re-bagging and logging them I had a realization…..As an artist myself: Kirby, Neal Adams, Byrne, Starlin, Miller, Sienkiewicz, McFarlane, Wringston and many others had more of an influence on my work and life than Michelangelo, Van Gogh, Klimt, Dali, or any of the others I studied in art school ever could.  I can honestly say Ive completely fallen back down the collecting rabbit hole. I am here to look, learn, buy, maybe sell and just be part of this community again.  Looking forward to it. Thanks.

On 4/9/2024 at 6:49 PM, Strange Trip said:

My name is Lance, I’m an artist and restauranteur from the Midwest.  In December I retrieved 3 long boxes of comics from my parents that had been sitting untouched since 1990.  My grade school self did quite well collecting and to my surprise I found many of the hottest comics on the market right now. I fully intended on cashing them in, but while re-bagging and logging them I had a realization…..As an artist myself: Kirby, Neal Adams, Byrne, Starlin, Miller, Sienkiewicz, McFarlane, Wringston and many others had more of an influence on my work and life than Michelangelo, Van Gogh, Klimt, Dali, or any of the others I studied in art school ever could.  I can honestly say Ive completely fallen back down the collecting rabbit hole. I am here to look, learn, buy, maybe sell and just be part of this community again.  Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Good Sense! Welcome lol to the boards :) 

On 4/9/2024 at 5:49 PM, Strange Trip said:

Welcome to the boards Lance.  I once knew a Lance and I called him Lance Lance Fire in his Pants.  Fortunately I've matured.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:24 PM, thehumantorch said:

Welcome to the boards Lance.  I once knew a Lance and I called him Lance Lance Fire in his Pants.  Fortunately I've matured.

I didn’t think my name was funny until I got to grade school and they called me Lance Romance,  Lancealot, Lancealittle, and my favorite AmbuLance.

On 4/9/2024 at 6:29 PM, Strange Trip said:

I didn’t think my name was funny until I got to grade school and they called me Lance Romance,  Lancealot, Lancealittle, and my favorite AmbuLance.

Could be worse, I knew a guy named Harry Hole

On 4/9/2024 at 10:15 PM, Strange Trip said:
On 4/9/2024 at 9:32 PM, thehumantorch said:

Could be worse, I knew a guy named Harry Hole

That is both hilarious and terrible.

I played trombone in junior high, the tuba player next to me was named Mathew Butts. That was new at the time, but he was a cool dude.

On 4/9/2024 at 11:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I played trombone in junior high, the tuba player next to me was named Mathew Butts. That was new at the time, but he was a cool dude.

:butbutbutemoji:

On 4/9/2024 at 10:40 PM, Jayman said:

:butbutbutemoji:

Ya it was awkward cause he had just joined the band and everyone heard me ask his name in band class. I was fairly popular, and I wasn't going to ruin his first day. Which is weird but what ran through my mind at the time. That and we were forced to play trombone and tuba instead of guitar and drums, so it was already Rocky to begin with lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/9/2024 at 11:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya it was awkward cause he had just joined the band and everyone heard me as his name in band class. I was fairly popular, and I wasn't going to ruin his first day. Which is weird but what ran through my mind at the time. That and we were forced to play trombone and tuba instead of guitar and drums, so it was already Rocky to begin with lol

Don’t mind me, I just always wanted to use that emoji and I thought that was the perfect opportunity! :nyah:

I'm not a collector - I'm actually trying to offload a collection I inherited after a death in the family.

Nothing super collectible, mostly modern age books. I've already sold most of them on eBay without bothering to have them graded. Did reasonably well, although I probably left a chunk of money on the table. 

I recently found a few silver age books that are in NM to MINT condition, including one that's signed by the artist. So, I joined CGC to submit those and a few other random books for grading.

Then I'll decide whether to sell them on eBay or see if an auction house is willing to take them on consignment. 

On 4/27/2024 at 9:26 AM, webapalooza said:

I'm not a collector - I'm actually trying to offload a collection I inherited after a death in the family.

Nothing super collectible, mostly modern age books. I've already sold most of them on eBay without bothering to have them graded. Did reasonably well, although I probably left a chunk of money on the table. 

I recently found a few silver age books that are in NM to MINT condition, including one that's signed by the artist. So, I joined CGC to submit those and a few other random books for grading.

Then I'll decide whether to sell them on eBay or see if an auction house is willing to take them on consignment. 

Condolences. Hope the effort isn't too bad to do something about them, we've often wondered or left instruction for easy consignment. Not an easy thing to deal with, and all at one time either, especially given certain circumstances.

Kudos for doing something, and again condolences. :foryou: