• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 - Numbers of Copies in Existence v. Original Print Run?

73 posts in this topic

i still look at AF15 in a similar light as a '52 Mantle

Not rare, just costly.

AF15 is a much better future bet then the '52 Mantle .

With Spider-Man he is gaining new fans every year with block buster movies, video games, action figures, Ipad apps and a new hit Disney show, while Mantle`s audience is dying off.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Not rare, just costly.

With Spider-Man he is gaining new fans every year with block buster movies, video games, action figures, Ipad apps and a new hit Disney show, while Mantle`s audience is dying off.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. (thumbs u

Not rare, just costly.

Oh, no denying that. i was speaking on the Cost/Availability factor.

As in, you want one, they are readily available, just "expensive"

Unlike most GA books, there were people collecting AF 15 from the get go and a lot of people collecting it within a year or two. That is, during the period before most copies would have gone into the trash the way most comics did, there were people around who wanted to save them and were willing to buy them if they didn't have them.

So I would be inclined to believe the high estimates of surviving copies. While most oo GA collections have come to market by now, there are probably a substantial number of SA collections out there that may arrive on the market in the next 10-20 years.

Anyone else (as teen or even now) fantasized (no pun intended) about going back in time to August 62 and hoarding copies?

It does seem like if you were a hardcore collector back pre-1980 and you set your mind to it, you could have accumulated quite the stash of virtually ever key book.

This brings up the point of whether it could be done by stashing hoards of say 1980's key books now while they are cheap and if you sit long enough some of them will eventually "take off".

This brings up the point of whether it could be done by stashing hoards of say 1980's key books now while they are cheap and if you sit long enough some of them will eventually "take off".

I would say a resounding "no" to 99.9999% of 1980s books

I'd say pretty much the same thing about 99.9999% of all books. :)

golden age there are some 300 really "blue" chip type books...that works out to about 1.3% (so 98.7% would not be good horading candidates)...

I think it is a little higher for silver age (about 2%)... but for all other eras, 99.99 works fine (thumbs u

golden age there are some 300 really "blue" chip type books...that works out to about 1.3% (so 98.7% would not be good horading candidates)...

I think it is a little higher for silver age (about 2%)... but for all other eras, 99.99 works fine (thumbs u

I was qualifying that with "now while they are cheap". Of those 300 books, how many would you say are "cheap"? Even by YOUR standards. :grin:

It would be awesome to hoard Actions 1s, Bats 1, Det 27 and even AF15s. But they could hardly be called "cheap".

I was qualifying that with "now while they are cheap". Of those 300 books, how many would you say are "cheap"? Even by YOUR standards. :grin:

It would be awesome to hoard Actions 1s, Bats 1, Det 27 and even AF15s. But they could hardly be called "cheap".

Maybe 3 lol

Maybe 3 lol

Please PM me those 3. lol

Maybe 3 lol

(tsk)

Maybe 3 lol

(tsk)

Does that mean you won't PM me the full list of 300? oh, and don't forget the silver books.

Thanks!

I'd guess about 5,000 worldwide at least. Some/many of the copies in the CGC census can be re-submits or cracked out so I think this is the case. For every CGC graded copy I think there there are 2 raw out there. Think of all the low grade copies people haven't graded.

Vincent

This talk of keys misses the point though. Keys don't escalate in price in a vacuum, i.e. they don't go up by themselves. They go up as the overall price level of similar comics escalates. As issue #1 rises in price, so do #2 and #3 etc, albeit the percentages may differ of course. The keys escalate until collectors perceive that the other issues in the run are a better "value" at which the price relationship "corrects".

The reason why almost no eighties comics are likely to increase in price during our lifetimes though is because they've all been hoarded/saved. The only reason older comics have gone up in value/price is because of the almost total destruction factor since they were published. Therefore, any comics that are hoarded don't subsequently increase in value. Why should they? There's enough supply to satisfy whatever demand exists for the comic. So anything that collectors have seen fit to hoard in recent decades has been a subsequent dud in the marketplace, for precisely that reason.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat

This talk of keys misses the point though. Keys don't escalate in price in a vacuum, i.e. they don't go up by themselves. They go up as the overall price level of similar comics escalates. As issue #1 rises in price, so do #2 and #3 etc, albeit the percentages may differ of course. The keys escalate until collectors perceive that the other issues in the run are a better "value" at which the price relationship "corrects".

The reason why almost no eighties comics are likely to increase in price during our lifetimes though is because they've all been hoarded/saved. The only reason older comics have gone up in value/price is because of the almost total destruction factor since they were published. Therefore, any comics that are hoarded don't subsequently increase in value. Why should they? There's enough supply to satisfy whatever demand exists for the comic. So anything that collectors have seen fit to hoard in recent decades has been a subsequent dud in the marketplace, for precisely that reason.

:preach:

I have "hoarded" (ok, maybe ocd'd) many GA books and sold at very nice profits (ie they have increased in value...some arithmetically, others exponentially)... in most cases, I have bought all the available supply (at least publicly) and helped, by default, create some increase pressure in the price, buy (pun intended) controlling the supply...however, demand still exists to the point that the upward pricing pressure is relieved with a profitable (to me) purchase by others :cloud9:

Ahhhhh, but did you do the hoarding of these comics when they were first published?

That you see is my point. Eighties books were already being hoarded/stored when they first came out, leaving basically zero chance of future appreciation.

:)

Edited by Hepcat