• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top 5 Villains in super hero comics?

112 posts in this topic

hm

As far as previous performance and future value to the company in terms of promoting that villain across multiple media platforms...

The Joker, Thanos, The Green Goblin, Dr Doom, Loki

I would say that the above five are now considered the most marketable and will continue to be pushed to center stage.

I will not be surprised if in three years time you can replace Green Goblin with Darkseid.

Magneto > Joker ? :roflmao: Just looked at more of the list. It sucks.

The Joker tried to stab Magneto.....

Magneto stabbed him with his own knife 4,654 times in 3 seconds.

Until he stopped laughing.

This list is quite old at this point. It was done a few years back. If you take pop culture into account I would rank Joker well beyond Magneto and probably everyone else. From the 60's Batman show to Heath Ledger's Joker many of the general public know that the Joker is the guy with the green hair. Not sure how many know that Magneto is the Purple Helmeted Warrior.

Anybody who watched any of the X Men cartoon series of any of the X Men movies would know who Magneto is. Joker probably does have wider recognition though stemming back to the days of the old Batman TV series, he's easily recognised and pretty much iconic.

Thanos not in the top 20, that makes this list total c rap!

One of the best mini series to ever grace comicdom and they put him at 49......

:tonofbricks:

I went to 80 and didn't find Molecule Man, wt# to that!

Oh and great wallpaper! :whee:

I agree with the list. Magneto's powers are cooler, he's a FAR more believable character than Joker, and I love the fact that Stan Lee modeled his worldview on Malcolm X with Professor X being his Martin Luther King peaceful equivalent. I never could understand Joker's motivation nor did I ever find him believable until Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger brought him into reality, but still, most other versions from the comics just aren't believable. Later versions of Magneto are that rare villain that you can both hate and respect--you hate the decisions he makes, but you respect the fact that he's fighting against prejudice for the benefit of his people.

I agree with the list. Magneto's powers are cooler, he's a FAR more believable character than Joker, and I love the fact that Stan Lee modeled his worldview on Malcolm X with Professor X being his Martin Luther King peaceful equivalent. I never could understand Joker's motivation nor did I ever find him believable until Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger brought him into reality, but still, most other versions from the comics just aren't believable. Later versions of Magneto are that rare villain that you can both hate and respect--you hate the decisions he makes, but you respect the fact that he's fighting against prejudice for the benefit of his people.

Well said

Please help me understand why the Green Goblin is even mentioned in the top five when Norman Osborne is killed and then Harry Osborne takes on the mantle? Then the Hobgoblin is created to fill the void of the Green Goblin at some point in time.

I wouldn't put the Green Goblin in the top five due to the fact multiple people play the villain.

The villain should have the ability to be a big game changer within the universe they inhabit along with being smart enough not to die in the process. It can be difficult figuring out the top five. However, two that should be considered are Dr. Doom and Magneto. The others would need to be figured out.

Interesting to see that a lot of you have pretty unanimous lists. I really came to this thread expecting a spoon storm.

I saw this list about a year ago when I was first getting into comics. I saw Invincible's dad and read his synopsis and instantly was like "OMG! I HAVE TO READ THIS!" and I did...2 weeks later I had caught up entirely on issues 1-99 and put my sub (my first one) in just in time for 100.

Please help me understand why the Green Goblin is even mentioned in the top five when Norman Osborne is killed and then Harry Osborne takes on the mantle? Then the Hobgoblin is created to fill the void of the Green Goblin at some point in time.

I wouldn't put the Green Goblin in the top five due to the fact multiple people play the villain.

The villain should have the ability to be a big game changer within the universe they inhabit along with being smart enough not to die in the process. It can be difficult figuring out the top five. However, two that should be considered are Dr. Doom and Magneto. The others would need to be figured out.

I do not think the Dread Pirate Roberts would approve of your post.

I disagree with the classification of Galactus as a "villain". Unlike the other nefarious individuals noted in this thread, Galactus' actions are dictated by survival instincts and not choice. As to why he doesn't evacuate inhabited planets before consuming them, I imagine it's because he considers the inhabitants insignificant (the same way we view insects).

I realize this is an exceedingly nerdy topic... so it should fit right in here :insane:

How does one answer this question? Top 5 in terms of what?

My top 5 favourite would be:

The Joker

Bullseye

Doctor Doom

Mysterio

The Riddler

hm: Bizarro

How in Batman's name is the Riddler #59?

I disagree with the classification of Galactus as a "villain". Unlike the other nefarious individuals noted in this thread, Galactus' actions are dictated by survival instincts and not choice. As to why he doesn't evacuate inhabited planets before consuming them, I imagine it's because he considers the inhabitants insignificant (the same way we view insects).

Odd that you argued against him being a villain, but then proceeded to list the exact reason he IS a villain. :insane: Just as we are when we kill ants.