• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny book of the year 2013 - Everyone can vote!

405 posts in this topic

Why not just use the poll feature? (shrug)

The problem with most polling features is that they don't provide for truly blind voting. IOW, folks can open the poll and see which books most folks are voting for before making their selections, thus influencing the outcome. Tabulation via PM sent to Straw-Man and myself insures that each board member's choices will remain completely uninfluenced and double checked for accuracy. (thumbs u

Of course, if anyone has a better suggestion for polling each round secretly, we'd love to hear it. hm

I believe there is an option where you have to vote first before seeing the poll results. At least the ones I've taken on these boards have been setup that way

In fact you can time bound them as well as make it mandatory to vote first. There may be more voters than you think, and lots of PMs can become hectic to manage.

I'll confer with the other judge and if we can see no complications arise from setting the poll up for multiple choice voting, then we may go with this. :preach:

I agree that counting via PMs is more labor intensive than polling for both judges and voters (even without the risk of hanging chads). We'll need to be sure every entry or changed entry is accurately registered though before setting the function.

I'll look over Flex's page one rules and see if any additional changes need to be made to expedite polling. I know you wouldn't want your judges to come off looking like the hind quarters of a horse, now would you? -- That's a rhetorical question.

It would probably be a good idea to run one more test poll with multiple choices (say, pick 3 choices of 10) before we settle on this. And thanks Bill, for being the voice of progressive change for us old farts! :applause:

Too late! :sumo:

The problem with most polling features is that they don't provide for truly blind voting. IOW, folks can open the poll and see which books most folks are voting for before making their selections, thus influencing the outcome. Tabulation via PM sent to Straw-Man and myself insures that each board member's choices will remain completely uninfluenced and double checked for accuracy. (thumbs u

Of course, if anyone has a better suggestion for polling each round secretly, we'd love to hear it. hm

I believe there is an option where you have to vote first before seeing the poll results. At least the ones I've taken on these boards have been setup that way

In fact you can time bound them as well as make it mandatory to vote first. There may be more voters than you think, and lots of PMs can become hectic to manage.

I'll confer with the other judge and if we can see no complications arise from setting the poll up for multiple choice voting, then we may go with this. :preach:

I agree that counting via PMs is more labor intensive than polling for both judges and voters (even without the risk of hanging chads). We'll need to be sure every entry or changed entry is accurately registered though before setting the function.

I'll look over Flex's page one rules and see if any additional changes need to be made to expedite polling. I know you wouldn't want your judges to come off looking like the hind quarters of a horse, now would you? -- That's a rhetorical question.

It would probably be a good idea to run one more test poll with multiple choices (say, pick 3 choices of 10) before we settle on this. And thanks Bill, for being the voice of progressive change for us old farts! :applause:

Just to be clear - the hind quarters are mine, all mine, and and not so much a horse as more of a flea-blown wall-eyed donkey. Or - before Billy says it - a talking mule. Cat cant have them. They're mine.

All in good humor, but just to make sure no-one else stops a plastic bullet 'cepting me, the rules thing evolved when we did this last year as a set of checks and balances, just to make things go smoothly, and many of us fed into the process I kinda started - with Straw-Man always the voice of reason (don't you hate that?) - mainly to curb GAtor's galloping megalomania.

(GAtor is of course more a sleek, flowing maned Arabian and I wont hear of anyone suggesting he resembles any other species of quadruped. He's too highly strung. Arabians are like that, but oh! so dreamy.)

With hand firmly on heart, and tongue even more firmly in cheek, any sticking points are my fault, so kindly blame the original poster...

....ahem...

Punish me godammit! :taptaptap:

How long do you have you wait around here for a nice bit of punishment?

The least some of you could do is come on over to Serendipity.

And watch as I fumble about.

And maybe giggle a little. :facepalm:

WAIT A DERN TOOTIN MINUTE... the fix is already in...who cares about polls or pms....I paid good money to win, and I expect that golden globe presentation in january :makepoint:

Can we help it that Flex is now vacationing in the Bahamas on your dime? (shrug)

Flex's replacement hangs out under bridges in friggin' Texas carrying a sign Will Work for Funny Books and I've heard that poor Straw-Man scrounges meals from dumpsters in Louisianna.

This thread is our golden opportunity to break-out of poverty! It's a brave new world, my friend! :whistle:

Meet the new boss... godfather-smiley-emoticon.gif

Can we help it that Flex is now vacationing in the Bahamas on your dime? (shrug)

If only!

As you know, Top Cat, I thought my responses to the BB/MM axis might get me sin-binned and I didn't want this thread derailed.

When I thought I might need a replacement you were the first person I thought of.

So anyway, about these rules...

And what does it take to get canned around here anyway? First, they refuse to punish me, then they ignore my democratic right to be suspended. It's unseemly.

And so am I.

Just to be clear - the hind quarters are mine, all mine, and and not so much a horse as more of a flea-blown wall-eyed donkey. Or - before Billy says it - a talking mule. Cat cant have them. They're mine.

All in good humor, but just to make sure no-one else stops a plastic bullet 'cepting me, the rules thing evolved when we did this last year as a set of checks and balances, just to make things go smoothly, and many of us fed into the process I kinda started - with Straw-Man always the voice of reason (don't you hate that?) - mainly to curb GAtor's galloping megalomania.

(GAtor is of course more a sleek, flowing maned Arabian and I wont hear of anyone suggesting he resembles any other species of quadruped. He's too highly strung. Arabians are like that, but oh! so dreamy.)

With hand firmly on heart, and tongue even more firmly in cheek, any sticking points are my fault, so kindly blame the original poster...

....ahem...

No, my son, you shall not be punished. Go forth to Serendip and use Sin-Sin no more.

plasticjesusedit.jpg

The Gator shall be tamed, so it is written. There is no stigmata to our horsing around and sayeth sooth a new king will come forth rise up on the 19th from the western horizon and ride in on a donkey. His words will pale all those before it, poll or no poll...

39310da2-e168-46fc-969c-bdae0db19466_zps9257b0cf.jpg

3773605e-bb5b-4e71-8121-17bdea68c51b_zps6aa2c8d2.jpg

....ahem...

No, my son, you shall not be punished. Go forth to Serendip and use Sin-Sin no more.

plasticjesusedit.jpg

The Gator shall be tamed, so it is written. There is no stigmata to our horsing around and sayeth sooth a new king will come forth on the 19th from the western horizon riding a donkey. His words will pale all those before it, poll or no poll.

You're funny

The poll function on the boards will set this up perfectly. I did a quicky test to check. Link is below:

linkydink

I'll be glad to produce the final poll if you want but, really, it is pretty easy. Pick the number of books you can vote for, select a start date, select an end date, select if you can see the votes after voting or only after the poll has close.

The poll function on the boards will set this up perfectly. I did a quicky test to check. Link is below:

linkydink

I'll be glad to produce the final poll if you want but, really, it is pretty easy. Pick the number of books you can vote for, select a start date, select an end date, select if you can see the votes after voting or only after the poll has close.

Thanks Jeff, it looks like this should work fine! (thumbs u

linkydink

It will work fine.

Quick edit though....you forgot the CGC grade on the AMF v.2 #10.

Those suck.

But if I were sitting in a hot tub in a 4star hotel in Hawaii for a few days they might look good. Real good. If you get my drift. :whistle:

voucher emailed (thumbs u
Waitin' by the door :popcorn:

Did it come yet, huh?

No, but when it does I'm off to the airport. :banana:

linkydink

It will work fine.

Quick edit though....you forgot the CGC grade on the AMF v.2 #10.

:facepalm:

I'm reposting Flex's first page rules below, removing the intro, strike edits and adding a few paraphrased points of my own in bold &/or italics. Most of the wording is still Flex's, but altered to reflect the polling function. If these rules are unclear or you have a good reason why waiting six more days for the poll is a problem, please send us a PM and we'll try to fix it.

Reflecting on the current year, which three books you've acquired would you consider to be your books of the year?

This doesn't necessarily have to be about grade - it could be a $20 book in fair that you've searched for for 10 years. Whatever criteria you use, the choice is yours!

Doesn't matter if you don't think you've got a snowflake's chance in the Sahara of winning! This is about inclusion! Get into the holiday spirit! We want a lively, active thread in which everyone participates!

There will be three rounds to complete with the winning book announced on New Year's Day.

FIRST ROUND

The first stage is to invite you to submit up to three books you've acquired this year.

Submissions allowed until Midnight Christmas Eve (midnight wherever you are).

At least two of your books should be golden age.

Any restoration should be noted, especially on raw books (the honor system applies).

They should all be books you still own.

To avoid confusion, you're allowed only one book change after submissions are made prior to the Christmas Eve deadline, and forum notification of change must also be made. Otherwise, all initial submissions are final.

SECOND ROUND

Voting to begin on Christmas Day.

Each book proposed gets one mark for each time proposed.

Voting will be conducted via a poll that includes book title, number, grade (CGC or raw, presumed PQ and any known restoration) and pedigree (if any). No promises, but we'll try to include a recap post featuring thumbnails of submitted books just prior to the poll opening so that folks won't have to search through the entire thread while deliberating.

The short list will be comprised of the 20 books with the most votes plus ties.

Voting for short list ends Midnight 30th December.

Everyone can propose, even if you don't submit.

SHORTLIST

Shortlist announced New Year's Eve.

Anyone can then vote for three books - first, second and third choices.

Every first choice gets three marks, second choices get 2 marks, third choices 1 mark.

Voting ends at midnight New Year's Night (midnight wherever you are).

Three books with the most votes announced on New Year's Day at which point a no-prize will be awarded to universal acclaim to the proud owner of the book of the year.

Final pointers

Even though the owner's name won't be attached to the book in the poll, everyone pretty much knows who owns what. Vote for what you like, not the owners or books you think everyone else is choosing.

Note: This may still require a bit of tweaking, but I think it's pretty clear based on what we're trying to do in setting up a fair and easy poll. (thumbs u