• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

I caught what I think is the silhouette of the Saint of Killers on a bottle of "RATWATER" liquor:

Saint_of_Killers.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_of_Killers#The_Saint_of_Killers

Following the Devil's demise, the Saint kills the rest of the bandits and purges the town of Ratwater simply because of his nature, and rests at a tomb on Boot Hill while his spirit gathers souls that die by violence. He is awakened once Genesis merges with Custer, and begins to pursue him...

Betcha there's going to be tons of supernatural goodness and we've just seen the tip of the iceberg.

There's quick scene that flashes by in the trailer depicting someone that had their eyes "burned" out. I didn't see it the first time thru, but caught it after subsequent watches. That has to be the aftermath of the Genesis explosion in the church.

I also caught what I think is the silhouette of the Saint of Killers on a bottle of liquor.

Betcha there's going to be tons of supernatural goodness and we've just seen the tip of the iceberg.

Oh... you edited before I replied...

The SoK reference on the bottle is noticable... and something does happen in the Church, but it's very hard to make out what is going on in that sequence of events. As for the eyes... that's Cassidy wearing shades right?

Here's some screen shots from that flashy sequence (slightly NSFW gore)

97OWpjS.png

MjQ0RkO.png

Q42o5zW.png

k4k9CiZ.png

I don't know what to make of the trailer TBH... as much as I want to see the comic proper on screen I don't mind if there are changes here and there to make the show a watchable translation. No doubt there will be a breakdown of the trailer on Youtube already explaining where the sequences could and can't tie into the comics.

There's quick scene that flashes by in the trailer depicting someone that had their eyes "burned" out. I didn't see it the first time thru, but caught it after subsequent watches. That has to be the aftermath of the Genesis explosion in the church.

I also caught what I think is the silhouette of the Saint of Killers on a bottle of liquor.

Oh... you edited before I replied...

The SoK reference on the bottle is noticable... and something does happen in the Church, but it's very hard to make out what is going on in that sequence of events. As for the eyes... that's Cassidy wearing shades right?

Here's some screen shots from that flashy sequence (slightly NSFW gore)

97OWpjS.png

MjQ0RkO.png

Q42o5zW.png

k4k9CiZ.png

I don't know what to make of the trailer TBH... as much as I want to see the comic proper on screen I don't mind if there are changes here and there to make the show a watchable translation. No doubt there will be a breakdown of the trailer on Youtube already explaining where the sequences could and can't tie into the comics.

Yep, I edited the post because I was going back to get screen grabs and when I paused the scene it was apparent that it was Cassidy in a pair of glasses.

When looking really quickly it appeared to be someone with holes for eyes....

But the "RATWATER" reference and the Saint of Killers is unmistakable!!! :)

I bet they leave out the whole god thing and just focus on preacher

That's my biggest fear with this, that they throw out the supernatural aspect & make it a pure character drama.

Then why make it a Preacher show?

It wouldn't be the first (or last) time that Hollywood jettisoned the more "comic book"-y aspects of a comic property when they actually developed it. That's all.

Why make FF as FF if they were going to make Doom a hacker (& initially change his name) and make them into a bunch of people that don't even really like each other & then split up as soon as possible when they're really the 1st family & Doom is a despotic sorcerer dictator? Hollywood did it. And we can go back over the years to see all the other instances of it. Especially on TV.

That's my biggest fear with this, that they throw out the supernatural aspect & make it a pure character drama.

It wouldn't be the first (or last) time that Hollywood jettisoned the more "comic book"-y aspects of a comic property when they actually developed it. That's all.

Why make FF as FF if they were going to make Doom a hacker (& initially change his name) and make them into a bunch of people that don't even really like each other & then split up as soon as possible when they're really the 1st family & Doom is a despotic sorcerer dictator? Hollywood did it. And we can go back over the years to see all the other instances of it. Especially on TV.

hm

Did FF have powers?

Preacher without the supernatural elements is nothing more than the one shots outside the main series and really wouldn't need to pay Garth etc for any rights. They may cut some but the supernatural part of Preacher IS Preacher.

hm

Did FF have powers?

Preacher without the supernatural elements is nothing more than the one shots outside the main series and really wouldn't need to pay Garth etc for any rights. They may cut some but the supernatural part of Preacher IS Preacher.

I'm just saying, it wouldn't be the first time Hollywood got scared of the property that they own & turned it into a pale imitation or some weird bastardization of the original. The upcoming Lucifer for FOX pretty much dumped everything about the comic to make it Satan in a piano bar somehow becomes Castle in a police procedural. Or Wanted, which threw out virtually everything from the comic to turn it into a generic action shoot-em-up. Human Target, to my recollection, didn't really have much similarities to the comic.

ok, there's an oddly FOX-centric theme to this list, but still... the comic-to-tv/film list is littered with adaptations that made me scratch my head & wonder "why did they pay for the rights if this was what they were going to make?" Now, that doesn't mean they were bad... V for Vendetta was awesome, but it was so wildly different from the comic that it's not even really an adaptation in my mind but an alternate telling. But that doesn't mean that Hollywood didn't throw out 99% of the comic to make the movie they wanted while still paying Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons for the rights to a comic they didn't even really adapt.

Guys, listen.....it was a short trailer. I'm sure the show will represent the comic just fine.

Wait until the full trailer & episode 1 to start moaning about the show.

That's not how we do things here :sumo:

Guys, listen.....it was a short trailer. I'm sure the show will represent the comic just fine.

Wait until the full trailer & episode 1 to start moaning about the show.

That's not how we do things here :sumo:

^^

Regardless of the show...... nothing's going to diminish those 66 covers :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You read my mind jim..

I never read the comic so Im going into this with no expectations.

The only thing I do know are the twisted and dark Glenn Fabry covers. And Im a little disappointed that the trailer didnt make even the slightest of efforts into depicting the chaotic images and animated characters that appear on those paintings/books. I mean, heck, even if you had a 60 second clip going through those images with nothing else would get me more excited

I doubt they would simulate the covers since they probably don't want to be tied into the timeline of the stories. There's only a set amount that were published.

My point is, the covers (obviously) reveal excerpts from the book, and just from looking at those without reading the comic Im getting more of a twisted and darker concept than the 60 second trailer we saw last night

I doubt they would simulate the covers since they probably don't want to be tied into the timeline of the stories. There's only a set amount that were published.

My point is, the covers (obviously) reveal excerpts from the book, and just from looking at those without reading the comic Im getting more of a twisted and darker concept than the 60 second trailer we saw last night

Its like comparing newspapers to tv. 2 different mediums one is still pictures with wording the other is live action. (shrug)

I picked up a run of #6 - 66 last year and made the mistake of cracking open #6 to check if the stories still held up. A few hours later I had re-read the whole stack of issues. It still holds up and is a great a read now as it was back in the day when it was a monthly. :cloud9:

Well my daughter mentioned that everyone at work is talking about the trailer....none have read the comics or even knew it was a comic (of course).

I think the comic fanboys who read the comic are not the viewers they're looking for.

Well my daughter mentioned that everyone at work is talking about the trailer....none have read the comics or even knew it was a comic (of course).

I think the comic fanboys who read the comic are not the viewers they're looking for.

...... absolutely. They've got to rope these demograph's into the equation first...... then the fireworks can begin. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

50 k or so sale numbers could never support a well made show on television these days unless you want something really cheesy. The majority of watchers don't ready comic books. 2c