• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

Did it seem to anyone else as though this adaptation kinda leaves out a very important part? The whole religious mythology with the angels & demons & Genesis & God and everything else? I've only watched the trailer once but I didn't see even the slightest hint of that. Don't you think that, for those that don't know the source material, that kinda throwing all that stuff in in a surprise to viewers would be a big risk? I mean, it looks like they were aiming more for a Breaking Bad type thing but with a Preacher story than much of any of the plot from the comic, at least to me.

IMO, the show AMC aired a trailer for was not the comic by a pretty big stretch, at least with this initial trailer. I hope I'm wrong, because I really want to see a show that keeps the same themes & mythology of the comics on screen (even if the plot changes somewhat)

And the big question is... if the show DOES end up veering away from (or entirely ignoring) the whole Angels/Demons/Genesis/God/Saint of Killers/Vampire part of the show, does that kinda kill the potential value for the books? I mean,

Oh, I know. I'm trying to avoid jumping to conclusions, but that was just one of those trailers that left me thinking "Really? That's the way they're going with this? That's different". I'm assuming that any of the mythology stuff will get introduced in later trailers, but I'm still a little surprised that not even a sniff of any of that was shown in the first one.

The series did quite a few flashbacks in the comic. The trailer showed some of those in sequence, for me. I also think they have to build up Jesse before the power shows up.

Fair point. Kinda like the opposite of what Marvel did with the Jessica Jones teasers leading up to the full trailer? The little clips of her powers to show "look, this is a superhero show". Seems like this is taking the opposite approach of "look at our character" before "now see what kind of weird supernatural crapstorm we're about to rain down on him"

Did it seem to anyone else as though this adaptation kinda leaves out a very important part? The whole religious mythology with the angels & demons & Genesis & God and everything else? I've only watched the trailer once but I didn't see even the slightest hint of that. Don't you think that, for those that don't know the source material, that kinda throwing all that stuff in in a surprise to viewers would be a big risk? I mean, it looks like they were aiming more for a Breaking Bad type thing but with a Preacher story than much of any of the plot from the comic, at least to me.

IMO, the show AMC aired a trailer for was not the comic by a pretty big stretch, at least with this initial trailer. I hope I'm wrong, because I really want to see a show that keeps the same themes & mythology of the comics on screen (even if the plot changes somewhat)

And the big question is... if the show DOES end up veering away from (or entirely ignoring) the whole Angels/Demons/Genesis/God/Saint of Killers/Vampire part of the show, does that kinda kill the potential value for the books? I mean,

I got a bit of a "Breaking Bad" feel from it as well.

If that's ultimate is the route they decided to take to make the show more mainstream and consistent with the AMC brand, I would wager the show would still be a good watch.

-J.

Is he the guy playing Cassidy?

Gilgun is awesome. He will steal the show.

Yes. I was a huge Misfits fan from series one to the last show. I was really bummed when Robert Sheehan left the show, he was larger than life, didn't think they'd ever find someone with as much charisma as that guy, and then Joseph Gilgun entered the show. At first, I was hesitant to like him, but man did that guy win me over. His face is so expressive, he's funnier than hell. He's going to make a GREAT Cassidy!!! Can't wait.

Fair point. Kinda like the opposite of what Marvel did with the Jessica Jones teasers leading up to the full trailer? The little clips of her powers to show "look, this is a superhero show". Seems like this is taking the opposite approach of "look at our character" before "now see what kind of weird supernatural crapstorm we're about to rain down on him"

+1 to this

I think a television version of Preacher will have to hinge upon the general public's investment into Jesse Custer. From what I saw Dominic Cooper's portrayal isn't exactly what I would picture from the comic, but I still found it very interesting. A Raylin Givens / Rich Grimes kind of Preacher. Once they establish the general audiences investment into Jesse, then as you said, the crapstorm can rain down on him.

Look at Walking Dead. If you had encouraged people to watch this new zombie show on AMC everybody would of run from you. People would say "I hate like zombie movies". It's popular now because of character development. So similar character development is needed for people who might run when they hear 'supernatural' or dare we sat 'sacrilegious' in connection with a show.

Personally I have faith in the people involved and I'm pretty excited. It may not end up mirroring the comic 100%, but it looks to be darn good show and I think it's appease fanboys and newbies alike

I haven't read the series, but the trailer looks really good to me... smart, scary, adult, intriguing. I imagine that's more or less what they're going for.

..... they're slowly opening the door for the 99.9% of the world who has never even heard of the comic book. A few of the snippets may stir up some controversy but all in all, the trailer is obviously meant to be just the tip of the iceberg. It should generate some discussion outside of comic circles, which is what they want. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Oh, I know. I'm trying to avoid jumping to conclusions, but that was just one of those trailers that left me thinking "Really? That's the way they're going with this? That's different". I'm assuming that any of the mythology stuff will get introduced in later trailers, but I'm still a little surprised that not even a sniff of any of that was shown in the first one.

That was my take-away as well - the trailer was totally not what I expected. Guess I'll have to wait to see whether it's a good or a bad thing ...

I bet they leave out the whole god thing and just focus on preacher

That's my biggest fear with this, that they throw out the supernatural aspect & make it a pure character drama.

I bet they leave out the whole god thing and just focus on preacher

That's my biggest fear with this, that they throw out the supernatural aspect & make it a pure character drama.

Then why make it a Preacher show?