• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics, TV, and movie news and rumor thread

662 posts in this topic

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/09/sony-marvel-universes-come-together-spider-man-kevin-feige-produces/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/09/wake-huge-announcement-marvel-changes-four-release-dates/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/10/spider-man-movie-tid-bits-garfield-sinister-six-delayed/

I think this is the next best thing for Disney/Marvel. Since Sony is contractually obligated to make a film every few years to keep the franchise (hence Fox remaking FANTASTIC FOUR and the X-Men franchise continually being expanded), and seeing as how they botched the last two films, they need professional help. Help that Marvel is quite good at doing, especially since they took a no-name property and turned it into one of the biggest films of 2014, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, making it into a new franchise overnight.

Some may gripe that it means no SINISTER SIX, no VENOM and no BLACK CAT. I say good. If you can't make a good movie with one of the most recognizable characters in the world, what makes Sony think it can do a better job with these low tier characters? They obviously don't know what to do which is why they're going to Marvel.

This means Spidey will be in CAP 3 while Kevin Feige will have a hand in making the next Spider-man a great film. I would love to see Spidey team up with Daredevil or fight Hulk. There's a number of great things that can come out of this so long as they keep Avi Arad in a corner and let Kevin Feige & his team work their magic.

One thing I do wonder about is when we'll see Blade, Ghost Rider & Punisher again since they're no longer with their previous film companies. I'd love to see Punisher in DAREDEVIL. I'd love to see a horror themed movie or TV Show that would teamup Blade & Ghost Rider to expand that portion of the Marvel Universe.

What are your thoughts?

Didn't know Blade was not with the original company, but they have been talking about Blade 4 for a year. That's partially why Tomb of Dracula #10 has gained over the past year.

Granted, these are fairly old now:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Wesley-Snipes-Believes-Blade-4-Go-66975.html

http://screenrant.com/blade-4-wesley-snipes-interview/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/09/sony-marvel-universes-come-together-spider-man-kevin-feige-produces/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/09/wake-huge-announcement-marvel-changes-four-release-dates/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/10/spider-man-movie-tid-bits-garfield-sinister-six-delayed/

I think this is the next best thing for Disney/Marvel. Since Sony is contractually obligated to make a film every few years to keep the franchise (hence Fox remaking FANTASTIC FOUR and the X-Men franchise continually being expanded), and seeing as how they botched the last two films, they need professional help. Help that Marvel is quite good at doing, especially since they took a no-name property and turned it into one of the biggest films of 2014, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, making it into a new franchise overnight.

Some may gripe that it means no SINISTER SIX, no VENOM and no BLACK CAT. I say good. If you can't make a good movie with one of the most recognizable characters in the world, what makes Sony think it can do a better job with these low tier characters? They obviously don't know what to do which is why they're going to Marvel.

This means Spidey will be in CAP 3 while Kevin Feige will have a hand in making the next Spider-man a great film. I would love to see Spidey team up with Daredevil or fight Hulk. There's a number of great things that can come out of this so long as they keep Avi Arad in a corner and let Kevin Feige & his team work their magic.

One thing I do wonder about is when we'll see Blade, Ghost Rider & Punisher again since they're no longer with their previous film companies. I'd love to see Punisher in DAREDEVIL. I'd love to see a horror themed movie or TV Show that would teamup Blade & Ghost Rider to expand that portion of the Marvel Universe.

What are your thoughts?

I think its wonderful news. (thumbs u

Some may gripe that it means no VENOM

Where does it say that?

One would think that since Marvel Studios knows what its doing and knows what the audience wants that Venom and Carnage are all but guaranteed to be the focus of the upcoming Spider-Man films.

Where does it say that?

One would think that since Marvel Studios knows what its doing and knows what the audience wants that Venom and Carnage are all but guaranteed to be the focus of the upcoming Spider-Man films.

Bingo. Venom and Carnge are probably being fast tracked. Just for the possiblity of Venom being a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the future. This may be a stretch but even a Secret Wars movie (Secret Wars #8). Most likely Spider-Man will find the symbiote in either Infinity War 1 or 2.

Where does it say that?

Bingo. Venom and Carnge are probably being fast tracked. Just for the possiblity of Venom being a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the future. This may be a stretch but even a Secret Wars movie (Secret Wars #8). Most likely Spider-Man will find the symbiote in either Infinity War 1 or 2.

I would agree...that it's a stretch.

Where does it say that?

I would agree...that it's a stretch.

Is it? A few years ago there was a lot of story arcs and characters most thought we would never see on screen.

Where does it say that?

I honestly don't know what Marvel has in store with Spider-man other than an appearance in CAP 3 and a Kevin Feige produced Spider-man film. If Sony let's them do their job, it can be a great thing.

SPIDER-MAN 3 was meant to be a Spidey vs. Sandman film but Avi Arad rammed Venom down Sam Raimi's throat. As such, you get the horrid film that ended that franchise and Raimi's attachment to it. This is the price execs pay when you don't let creative do their job.

If I were a betting man, I'd say you won't see Venom anytime soon. SPIDER-MAN 3 left a bad taste in people's mouths and, after all these years, still does. You need to prove you can make a great Spider-man film with a classic villain that the fans would like to see but hasn't been presented before. You can then move up to Venom once things get going again.

The franchise has to be cleaned up properly. The writers did a horrible job with establishing villains in this franchise. Every villain came out of Oscorp and that's just ridiculous. Spider-man's world doesn't revolve around this one corporation. Batman's villains may all end up at Arkham but they most certainly don't start from there. They come from varied psyches and backgrounds. Their criminal actions eventually lead to a confrontation with the Dark Knight. Same must be done with Spider-man in order for it to succeed.

Where does it say that?

If I were a betting man, I'd say you won't see Venom anytime soon. SPIDER-MAN 3 left a bad taste in people's mouths and, after all these years, still does. You need to prove you can make a great Spider-man film with a classic villain that the fans would like to see but hasn't been presented before. You can then move up to Venom once things get going again.

I don't think Marvel Studios particularly cares that Venom was attempted before, since they weren't responsible for that mess of a movie. I'm pretty sure Sony is going to watch Civil War gross 10 billion dollars and then tell Marvel Studios to do whatever the f they want and will stay out of the way.

I don't see Marvel screwing around and putting a lesser villain in the movie just because they need one that hasn't been on the big screen before. And since Marvel loves all things outer space it makes perfect sense for them to bring in Venom. What other Spider-Man villains are left that could carry a movie?

Where does it say that?

I don't think Marvel Studios particularly cares that Venom was attempted before, since they weren't responsible for that mess of a movie. I'm pretty sure Sony is going to watch Civil War gross 10 billion dollars and then tell Marvel Studios to do whatever the f they want and will stay out of the way.

I don't see Marvel screwing around and putting a lesser villain in the movie just because they need one that hasn't been on the big screen before. And since Marvel loves all things outer space it makes perfect sense for them to bring in Venom. What other Spider-Man villains are left that could carry a movie?

Let's face it -- if Marvel can make Rocket Racoon a draw then they can pretty much do no wrong (with the exception of IRON MAN 2 and THOR 2).

I feel like if you bring Venom in first then many villains that are brought in later on will pale in comparison since he's such a big draw. I think you need to build up to it much like how Marvel built up to AVENGERS. Marvel knew fans wanted AVENGERS but they were smart about it by taking their time and hiring the right mix of creators to bring it to life. They didn't rush it and it paid off.

As for who can fight Spidey, he's got a lot of villains in his history that can more than provide a challenge to him -- Mysterio, Kraven the Hunter, Sandman (which SPIDER-MAN 3 started right in the beginning but botched up completely), Scorpion, Shocker, Vulture, Jackal, Black Cat, Morlun, Tombstone, Puma and many others.

I always felt the SPIDER-MAN 90s cartoon did a wonderful job of integrating everything together with Spidey's history. Keep what works and what doesn't work and be rearranged to fit to work. The same can be said for BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, SUPERMAN ADVENTURES and JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED. If you can do that with the cartoons, you can most certainly do that with the films.

Currently, FLASH and ARROW are doing great jobs of introducing villains, making them interesting while putting their own respective spin on them. Same can be done for Spidey.

IMO, Batman, Flash and Spider-man have the best villains that help make the hero who he is.

As for who can fight Spidey, he's got a lot of villains in his history that can more than provide a challenge to him -- Mysterio, Kraven the Hunter, Sandman (which SPIDER-MAN 3 started right in the beginning but botched up completely), Scorpion, Shocker, Vulture, Jackal, Black Cat, Morlun, Tombstone, Puma and many others.

Very few of Spider-Man's villains that have yet to be used in a movie could be put on the big screen without being viewed as absurd. The studio already knows this which is why they bastardized both rhino and electro in the latest movie. Marvel Studios isn't going to stake the franchise on a hit or miss villain. They use Venom and keep him around, just like the various Avengers and related movies have done with Loki.

Very few of Spider-Man's villains that have yet to be used in a movie could be put on the big screen without being viewed as absurd. The studio already knows this which is why they bastardized both rhino and electro in the latest movie. Marvel Studios isn't going to stake the franchise on a hit or miss villain. They use Venom and keep him around, just like the various Avengers and related movies have done with Loki.

And yet Marvel was able to make an "absurd" talking racoon and a one-word-spouting man-tree kick a-s-s in a film starring a bunch of characters no one cared about and make it the biggest film of 2014.

Just because it looks absurd doesn't mean it can't work. They've proven it time and time again. You can not be beholden to the comics. You take what works, retool what doesn't all without losing the essence of a character. If Winter Soldier showed us anything, it's that Marvel films likes to take a title and storyline from comics and adapt it in a way that makes it engaging while surprising hardcore fans who know the storyline well. That particular film was not a beat-for-beat copy of the comic storyline at all.

That's the beauty of WALKING DEAD. There are some things producers use to incorporate into a storyine for the show but they're not beholden to it. They can go off on their own while maintaining the interesting storylines and characters people come back to in droves on a weekly basis.

I wish nothing but good things for the MARVEL / SONY partnership. I just hope SONY doesn't mess it up like it normally does.

And yet Marvel was able to make an "absurd" talking racoon and a one-word-spouting man-tree kick a-s-s in a film starring a bunch of characters no one cared about and make it the biggest film of 2014.

Those characters are aliens. Very big difference between using an alien and a human with special powers in a jazzy costume.

Those characters are aliens. Very big difference between using an alien and a human with special powers in a jazzy costume.

Actually, those two are CGI characters voiced by people. Everyone else in that movie had varying jazzy costumes (THE COLLECTOR and NOVA PRIME comes to mind).

I hated the Green Goblin (both versions) as I felt that character was never pulled off properly. Willem DaFoe has a face like a demon. Use that and not some Power Ranger armor nonsense.

Using one of Spidey's villains properly can make a great film. This isn't the horrible Broadway SPIDERMAN: TURN OFF THE DARK we're talking about. This is the legit Marvel brand putting their creative spin on the Wall Crawler. It just takes vision and imagination to turn it into gold. Marvel has proven more than once that they have what it takes to give the fans the best Spider-man movie we all deserve.

Actually, those two are CGI characters voiced by people. Everyone else in that movie had varying jazzy costumes (THE COLLECTOR and NOVA PRIME comes to mind).

I hated the Green Goblin (both versions) as I felt that character was never pulled off properly. Willem DaFoe has a face like a demon. Use that and not some Power Ranger armor nonsense.

Using one of Spidey's villains properly can make a great film. This isn't the horrible Broadway SPIDERMAN: TURN OFF THE DARK we're talking about. This is the legit Marvel brand putting their creative spin on the Wall Crawler. It just takes vision and imagination to turn it into gold. Marvel has proven more than once that they have what it takes to give the fans the best Spider-man movie we all deserve.

I'm not talking about the actors in the movie. I'm talking about the actual characters. Groot and Rocket are not humans, they're aliens. Same thing with the collector and nova prime. The viewer doesn't have to approach that movie accepting that any of those characters are humans from earth. The studio can do whatever they want with those characters because they aren't humans from earth. How they dress and what they can do can be explained by the simple fact that they aren't from our world.

Introducing villains that are humans from earth is an entirely different animal. You have to sell the audience on the idea that here we have a normal guy outfitted with an armored suit who resembles a rhino, or a guy in a harness calling himself the vulture, or a guy in a scorpion suit calling himself scorpion, etc.

It isn't an accident that the most competent execution of a spidey villain put to film was Doc Ock, who essentially is the mad scientist archetype with state of the art technology that goes crazy. That is something the audience can swallow. You start introducing guys that become the lving embodiment of electricity, or wear a mechanized rhino suit, and its easy to see why the audiences don't show up.