• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Science

248 posts in this topic

This might be our hot one. I turned into a huge Remender fan after I read his X-Force run.

Isnt there like 5 covers to this?

While it looks to be a wild ride and I am in for the long haul, I don't see this book doing a thing aftermarket wise. Another good book that will be $3-4 15 months from now

That's a pretty safe bet since the vast majority of books released are worth cover or less 15 months later. Doesn't stop people from speculating though and this is a better bet than most imo. I'd be extremely surprised if this book doesn't get some awards, especially for the art.

hi, i just bought page 24. there still some listed. jp

Awesome! That was the page my OH liked. I went with p11.

I was in my LCS today and they were already out of stock of this, which is the first time in a longggg time they've sold out of an image book so fast. They're a pretty big chainstore and they order loads of copies of even smaller books. They still had copies of Sex Criminals #1, Umbral, A Voice In The Dark etc but no Black Science left.

I thought it was just OK. It did remind me of Lost In Space a bit. Also it reminded me of some of the zones in EverQuest. Particularly the frog people.

I think the thing for me that killed it was that I didn't care about the characters. The issue was all about saving the lives of these characters that I'm not at all invested in.

Opinion seems to be mostly falling into "omg it was awesome" and "meh, it was ok".

I think the criticism that you didn't care about the characters is a bit unfair for a first issue.

I agree that there's no way anyone could care for the characters after just one issue. That's why I thought it was a poor choice for the plot to center around a race against the clock to save this guys kids. And I also wasn't really affected by the death in the issue

I was affected by the death because it was typical refrigeration. That was really disappointing.

In saying that, I'm not sure if you were meant to be affected by it much. I think it was more to demonstrate the danger of where they were, to give the book a feeling of anything can happen, and of course just using it as an emotional plot device for the main character.

I wasn't bothered really whether he got back in time or not. That wasn't a driving factor for my enjoyment. There wasn't really any way I feel anyone could be particularly invested in that. It was more the style of writing, the incredible world it was taking place in, the general concept (parallel dimensions, an anarchist scientist!) and the amazing art that made me love it.

So, I finished the first issue and decided to take the plunge and add this comic to my pull list. If you like Fear Agent, I think you'll like this comic. Rick Remender never fails to disappoint.

Even though I'm still opposed to variants (you can read my rants elsewhere if you like), I went ahead and purchased all the variants for this issue from the "source" today: Hastings variant from Hastings, Midtown and Blank variants from Midtown, DCBS variant from DCBS, and Ghost variant from Brave New World. My monthly pull list is down to 17 comics this month (I just completed my December order with DCBS), so I thought it was okay to splurge for a change. It is my Christmas gift to myself. :grin: I felt okay with this since it looks like the variant craze on this title is going to be limited to just a few issues (fingers crossed.)

I just finished reading the first issue. There was some great imagery but the prose read like unmetered high school poetry. My mind started wandering about halfway through. I'll likely pass on the second issue.