• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black Science

248 posts in this topic

Like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person last week, I sent email to DCBS asking for a Black Science 2 to be added to my pull when I saw how much they were fetching on E-Bay. They said no more were available, but a second print was coming, so I added it to my order. I start looking and ordered a 1st print copy from another online dealer only to get email the day after Christmas saying they were out and could not fulfill the order. Now I'm thinking I'm either going without or I'm going to spend more than I want on a modern comic. I get my DCBS shipment today and Black Science 2 is included. It turns out I ordered a copy back when it was solicited.

:facepalm:

I honestly don't know why I started panicking. I also cannot believe I forgot that I ordered a copy. At least it was a pleasant surprise this time. :) I do wish I had ordered the 2B, but if I recall, DCBS was asking for more for that one.

I will say this, I'm disappointed with Midtown Comics. I ordered their Black Science 1 exclusive and a blank cover. They were shipped in an envelop with only the backing boards, bag, and a flimsy cardboard for protection. The package was damaged. Luckily the exclusive was mostly unscathed, but the blank cover was mangled in shipping. This is only the second time I've ordered from them. Is this normal? (I cannot remember how my order from earlier this year was packaged.) Makes me very glad I get my books from DCBS, where I've never had to worry about how they packaged the comics.

Is this a printing defect?

IMG_20131228_154540.jpg

Several of the #2s at my LCS had that hole in the spine. Several of the 2Bs also has a very thin slice on the spine about 2 inches up from the bottom. Luckily I was able to get three sets without either. He still had a nice, but dwindling, stack.

IMG_20131228_154540.jpg

Several of the #2s at my LCS had that hole in the spine. Several of the 2Bs also has a very thin slice on the spine about 2 inches up from the bottom. Luckily I was able to get three sets without either. He still had a nice, but dwindling, stack.

Your location says Texas so I'm assuming your lcs is located there. I didn't get these books from Texas which would indicate the defect is not unique to one store or area and thus it could end up affecting a significant portion of the print run.

IMG_20131228_154540.jpg

Your location says Texas so I'm assuming your lcs is located there. I didn't get these books from Texas which would indicate the defect is not unique to one store or area and thus it could end up affecting a significant portion of the print run.

I am in Texas, and that would be my thought too. Some percentage of the print run is affected by these printing/binding defects.

IMG_20131228_154540.jpg

I am in Texas, and that would be my thought too. Some percentage of the print run is affected by these printing/binding defects.

IMG_20131228_154540.jpg

My LCS in GA had all his issues come in damaged, he sent them all back, not sure if it was the same problem.

Order 8 books from Midtown at a time to get them sent in a sturdy box.

+1

Yup I learned this the hard way always 8 or more books so they are sent in a box from midtown.

Well, that is good to know. Wish I had that information when I made the order. (The only reason I even considered Midtown for the blank cover was because people on these boards mention them.) I would think a large retailer would understand when people are buying "variants" (in my case the Midtown exclusive and the blank cover) of comics, they are going to want those comics in nice condition. The Midtown exclusive wasn't a cover price $3.99 issue, but $10.00. Shipping in an envelop with adequate protection isn't that hard or costly.

Again, I appreciate the information. Midtown won't get my business again. Anecdotal information that they will protect 8 comics, but not 1-7 isn't sufficient for me. They should have a policy which says this. "We won't protect comics if you order less than 8" or some such. I'm not upset about the lack of a box, I'm upset about the flimsy packaging.

When you have a large retailer that ships like this, its hard to get mad at small time E-Bay sellers who don't know any better when they do the same.

Again, I appreciate the information. Midtown won't get my business again. Anecdotal information that they will protect 8 comics, but not 1-7 isn't sufficient for me. They should have a policy which says this. "We won't protect comics if you order less than 8" or some such. I'm not upset about the lack of a box, I'm upset about the flimsy packaging.

When you have a large retailer that ships like this, its hard to get mad at small time E-Bay sellers who don't know any better when they do the same.

Just complain to their live chat support and they'll take care of it for you. There is also a note text box that you can fill out when making an order where you can request that the books be shipped in a box.

speaking of midtown...

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Batman+The+Dark+Knight+Vo_1281046

Where did these all come from...

Catwoman 23 is also pretty cheap there...i dunno...

figure they recently uncovered a part of their store lost in the great 3d debacle of Sept 2013....

Thanks for the heads up on those... Joker's Daughter could still be hot if they get a decent writer for her.

I won't order from Midtown anymore I don't think. Even when you have more than 8 books in a box, they don't seal the bags, thus causing the books to be able to fly around inside the bags and damage themselves that way.

Comics have to be secure in the bag first of all, then placed inside another bag or something which is sealed around them to prevent this type of damage. Not to mention the last time I ordered from them, I got quite a few books that had finger denting on them-not shipping damage. They looked like the reader copy for the employees or something. When I tried to send them back for replacement, they were miraculously all out-yep, the store reader gets thrown in as a NM and that is okay for them I guess.

I just got 3 copies of BS #2 cover A today, and they were free from any type of damage I saw in those pics. Those are the breaks sometimes.

By the way, get your books from TFAW right now and in the future for recent back issues. They are having a 50-70% off sale as we speak for recent BI's. Can't go wrong with that, and BS #1 is still there.

Do you have to have a codeword for this sale? I see Black Science listed, not issue 1, and none of the issues are cheaper than $2.80.

By the way, get your books from TFAW right now and in the future for recent back issues. They are having a 50-70% off sale as we speak for recent BI's. Can't go wrong with that, and BS #1 is still there.

Do you have to have a codeword for this sale? I see Black Science listed, not issue 1, and none of the issues are cheaper than $2.80.

Looks like maybe they are gone now. There is no codeword. They are just having a sale until 1/17, but only for books over 2 months old it seems. Anything newer and preorder is like 20% off. Just look up any title and you'll see what I mean.

Now I just got an email saying they can't fulfill my 2 copy order for BS #1-they were in un-sellable condition. Yeah right. Now TFAW is getting into the game of pulling books from orders because they realize they are kind of getting hot. (tsk)

Now I just got an email saying they can't fulfill my 2 copy order for BS #1-they were in un-sellable condition. Yeah right. Now TFAW is getting into the game of pulling books from orders because they realize they are kind of getting hot. (tsk)

TFAW does far too much business to care about keeping your 2 copies of Black Science to hold for a later date in the hopes that they can make a few extra dollars off of them.