• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE HULK #181 CLUB

428 posts in this topic

This is my first comic book purchase from way back in 1998. I bought it at a local comic book shop for ~$300 once I caught the fever again after seeing Blade at the movies.

It was a raw 9.0 and was originally slabbed at a CGC 8.0 in ~2001. Checkout the magic & splendor that is Joey from CFP! :headbang::acclaim:

Great book. You might have posted this before but what were the defects that Joey pressed/cleaned out?

This is my first go round for this book. It was actually a sharp copy all-around when I first bought it back in 1998, but I always felt it was under-graded when it was an old label 8.0 in 2001. :mad:

I recently I decided to let Joey tackle it before I re-subbed it. He didn't provide me with specifics about what he pressed/cleaned out, I just gave him a lot of 9 books and told him to service 5 of them regardless of what he saw. (thumbs u

Joey rocks. What else can you say!!! What a beauty of a book.congrats. I have to post mine soon. 181 will always be my fav, as it was my first big Dawg book!!

That's for sure awesome!!! 181 was my 1st BIG book as well and the first book I bought when I got back into comics in 2006 from when I used to read them as a youngster!! bought a slabbed 7.5!! my 1st CGC'd book as well I guess!! insert some quote about great minds thinking alike my friend!! (thumbs u

lol. You know it man!!! I guess when you think of first collecting (or getting back into collecting), 181 is the big grail. Besides buying it outright, you never think you'll find one. I was looking for G1 Transformers moc, the guy had sold them, and because I had driven a half hour, I asked if he had comics for the hec of it. He brings out long box after long box, until he brings out two short boxes. I look and good ol Wolvie, sitting there, looking pretty (and brutal) is smiling at me. I told the guy ,"you know the first Wolverine is in there, right." He says yeah. He says all the boxes for $275. I say $225, he does it. I actually hadn't spent that much at once on comics ever.

It was my first comic I ever graded too- an 8.0 White pager. Good ol times. I remember feeling on top of the world. I went to the library and rented a current Overstreet and was flabbergasted! It had been almost 15 years since the books had me, and with Wolvie by my side, I was ready.

This is my first comic book purchase from way back in 1998. I bought it at a local comic book shop for ~$300 once I caught the fever again after seeing Blade at the movies.

It was a raw 9.0 and was originally slabbed at a CGC 8.0 in ~2001. Checkout the magic & splendor that is Joey from CFP! :headbang::acclaim:

Great book. You might have posted this before but what were the defects that Joey pressed/cleaned out?

This is my first go round for this book. It was actually a sharp copy all-around when I first bought it back in 1998, but I always felt it was under-graded when it was an old label 8.0 in 2001. :mad:

I recently I decided to let Joey tackle it before I re-subbed it. He didn't provide me with specifics about what he pressed/cleaned out, I just gave him a lot of 9 books and told him to service 5 of them regardless of what he saw. (thumbs u

Joey rocks. What else can you say!!! What a beauty of a book.congrats. I have to post mine soon. 181 will always be my fav, as it was my first big Dawg book!!

Thanks bro! This actually my 2nd copy of an IH #181. I had the original back in the 1970's when I was a youngster first exploring my love for comic books. :headbang:

That copy however got destroy boy water & mice nibbling on it. :facepalm: Thanks to the first Blade movie I caught the fever again in 1998 and have been collecting hardcore eve since! (thumbs u

Yes!! Wolvie gave me and so many others the fever too. Since then as well, I've been a beast with collecting. I stopped collecting figures (I have almost every turtle moc) and starting looking for books. When you're really hungry and spend a lot of time looking, you can surely find winners. You have to be on the grind though lol

Cool story. My first big key was my Asm 129 I later upgraded it though. 181 is a great books and wolverine is an awesome character bro.

Not here to post a pic or anything. Just can't get over the strong push this book has been making in the last year or so. A 7.0 sold for $1000 bucks in the sales forum. That price a couple years ago would have bought you at least a strong 8.5, low 9.0. Now I see 9.2's selling for $2000. Seems like this is the book to grab in any grade because the demand never lets up. The AF 15 of the bronze age.

Finally acknowledging that I'm in the Club.

So I've had many copies of Hulk 181 and I've sold them all, except my lowly OO copy, which is really not even an OO copy, but the first copy of Hulk 181 I had ever come across. Back in 1981 or so, I was in serious comic hunting mode at the ripe age of 14. The reason I can date this pretty well is the fact that this small collection that I came across at a garage sale in a metal trunk contained xmen from 94 up to 138 and there were at least 15 copies of xmen 137. Not only were there a ton of nice new Xmen which were hot at the time, but a full run of Hulk from 102-200 or so, and there it was in all it's glory, right after 180 and before 182, my first chance to own and read Hulk 181. I've kept this copy through the many years of my collecting, and have sold copies that I've come across that reached 8.5, but my lowly mid grade holds a special place and I haven't felt the need to replace it.

Pretty sure I paid $75 for the trunk.

Here it is in all it's glory.

148613.jpg.34c208077613cc58061b843ac4ae6497.jpg

Finally acknowledging that I'm in the Club.

So I've had many copies of Hulk 181 and I've sold them all, except my lowly OO copy, which is really not even an OO copy, but the first copy of Hulk 181 I had ever come across. Back in 1981 or so, I was in serious comic hunting mode at the ripe age of 14. The reason I can date this pretty well is the fact that this small collection that I came across at a garage sale in a metal trunk contained xmen from 94 up to 138 and there were at least 15 copies of xmen 137. Not only were there a ton of nice new Xmen which were hot at the time, but a full run of Hulk from 102-200 or so, and there it was in all it's glory, right after 180 and before 182, my first chance to own and read Hulk 181. I've kept this copy through the many years of my collecting, and have sold copies that I've come across that reached 8.5, but my lowly mid grade holds a special place and I haven't felt the need to replace it.

Pretty sure I paid $75 for the trunk.

Here it is in all it's glory.

Sweet books :applause:

OK, not sure how much it will last but I am in…

I say this because I picked it to save for a possible trade and get a Fantastic Four #2 or #5, which are on the top of my wantlist, but now that Wolvie and the Wendigo settled here, they seem they don’t want to go away… :eek:

Dte9vvwh.jpg

OK, not sure how much it will last but I am in…

I say this because I picked it to save for a possible trade and get a Fantastic Four #2 or #5, which are on the top of my wantlist, but now that Wolvie and the Wendigo settled here, they seem they don’t want to go away… :eek:

Dte9vvwh.jpg

Nice book :applause:

I guess I can join in. I posted the picture of mine in the grading forum, but here it is again:

eEbXru4h.jpg?2

I picked it up 5 or 6 years ago from a friend of mine who had 2 copies, both in about the same condition. It replaced my original copy that I had sold when I owned my comic shop years back.

My friend had gotten both of his copies from a mutual friend who had a huge stash of books -- that guy ended up selling his whole collection after my buddy and I had cherry-picked a couple of books from it (we never could have afforded the whole thing, as nice as his collection was). The news of the guy's collection sale made the boards. Here the story and the collection online:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6582335&fpart=1

http://www.dacardworld.com/blog/buying-cards/dave-and-adams-card-world-makes-145000-purchase-of-rare-comic-books/

I guess I can join in. I posted the picture of mine in the grading forum, but here it is again:

eEbXru4h.jpg?2

I picked it up 5 or 6 years ago from a friend of mine who had 2 copies, both in about the same condition. It replaced my original copy that I had sold when I owned my comic shop years back.

My friend had gotten both of his copies from a mutual friend who had a huge stash of books -- that guy ended up selling his whole collection after my buddy and I had cherry-picked a couple of books from it (we never could have afforded the whole thing, as nice as his collection was). The news of the guy's collection sale made the boards. Here the story and the collection online:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6582335&fpart=1

http://www.dacardworld.com/blog/buying-cards/dave-and-adams-card-world-makes-145000-purchase-of-rare-comic-books/

Nice book :applause: