• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE HULK #181 CLUB

428 posts in this topic

A few years ago I was buying some graded keys from a guy on ebay. We corresponded a fair bit and got to know each other pretty well.

One day he told me he had a Hulk 181 CGC 8.0 that I could have for $500. This was a good price at the time, but not the charity-price it seems like today (8.0's were ending at about $660 at the time).

I was stretched thin because I had bought several keys by that stage and I asked if he could hold on to it for me. He said yes but, unfortunately, he sold it like a week later to someone else! It was a shame, but no hard feelings as I thought I'd pick it up at a later stage.

Little did I know the book was going to really take off and 8.0's are like, what, $1300 now? Too much for me. So I had completely written off ever owning a copy.

That's when fellow boardie 'woregul' stepped in. I had bought an X-Men #94 from him last year, and in the course of our conversations he told me he had a Hulk 181. He wasn't ready to sell, but said if he ever did, he'd contact me first and offer it to me.

6 months passed and a couple of weeks ago I get a little blinking message icon. It was woregul and he was offering me the Hulk 181!

So 20 years after I knew what Hulk 181 was, and 3 years after I had turned down that 8.0, I finally have one :whee:

28vpnpx.jpg

The reds really pop out on this copy.