• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE HULK #181 CLUB

428 posts in this topic

IncredibleHulk1814copy_zpsa74c485c.jpg

Hulk 181 was my first vintage comic.

Beautiful copy ! This is a tough book to find well centered and with "fire engine" red and those are always the ones that sell fastest and strongest.

I wonder why there's such a variance in the red on this cover ? hm

Beautiful copy ! This is a tough book to find well centered and with "fire engine" red and those are always the ones that sell fastest and strongest.

It can be actual printing differences. Perhaps one print run had a deeper red, the next a more orangey red?

I also strongly believe the red used has a tendency to fade.

Combination of the 2?

It can be actual printing differences. Perhaps one print run had a deeper red, the next a more orangey red?

Combination of the 2?

Fading of vibrant colours during print runs happened quite often in that period.

Combination of the 2?

Agreed, as well as the tone of red weakening towards the end of the print run.

But my question is why do we see such a variance on the red on this particular issue, much more so than on other red covers I can think of ?

Combination of the 2?

But my question is why do we see such a variance on the red on this particular issue, much more so than on other red covers I can think of ?

I would honestly say this is because people always look at an IH181 more than more other predominantly red books of say age. If another book of the same age with a predominantly red cover was as frequently 'shown off' by owners, then I am sure you would see the same 'red range'.

^ Agreed. The simple fact is that color fades over time unless it's protected, and red is probably the worst color for this. You see more books from the 1970's that have faded color than don't.

Books like Daredevil which has plenty of red on the cover, or the red in the X-Men logo of the mid 70's... it's almost always faded. I always try to buy books that have newsstand fresh color but it's extremely hard and I often just give up.

NB: if you're going to buy a red car, park it in the shade at all times!

Combination of the 2?

Clearly you've never paid attention to Eagle Comics Judge Dredd #1, full red cover that has a crazy amount of shade differences in the RED backdrop. As someone who has held well over 200 + copies, the differences are pretty staggering.

Combination of the 2?

I think the reason this book goes from "fire engine" red to bright orange is that it sat in comic shop windows for a long time back in the day before owners realized fading would be a problem. I remember seeing a copy listed as NM in my old comic shop window when I was a kid and it had faded to a light orange, and Hulk in light green. This copy came out when modern comic collecting was basically in its infancy.

Personally, I like the "faded" bright orange background better than the fire engine red since that's how I most remember this book. (Plus it matches Wolverine #1 on my wall)