• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'm thinking we've got entirely different tastes & are just going to keep disagreeing.

I don't dress like it's any era. Most eras have some redeeming things that still look as good today as they did then & some of those I'll bite from when it compliments something else. But the 80's is the one era that I can't find anything that has a style that aged even slightly well or that I could find appealing at all (on me or anyone else).

And I won't even get into overall style/design of the era. Cars, paint colors, architecture, design... everything. That doesn't mean they can't be kinda cool either in spite or because of their ugliness, but that doesn't make the overall aesthetic of the 80's any less ugly.

But the 80's is the one era that I can't find anything that has a style that aged even slightly well or that I could find appealing at all (on me or anyone else).

Forget you and your lack of appealing 80's looks. :sumo:

:headbang:

4a1a0f00-e31e-4c6e-916a-9342826fb724.jpg

Wait a second. That's pretty metal. Metal is timeless & not intrinsically tied to the 80's. I don't consider that an 80's style anymore than I would consider or tie punk to a late-70's style.

But the 80's is the one era that I can't find anything that has a style that aged even slightly well or that I could find appealing at all (on me or anyone else).

Forget you and your lack of appealing 80's looks. :sumo:

:headbang:

4a1a0f00-e31e-4c6e-916a-9342826fb724.jpg

Wait a second. That's pretty metal. Metal is timeless & not intrinsically tied to the 80's. I don't consider that an 80's style anymore than I would consider or tie punk to a late-70's style.

I'd agree that it had it's start in the late 1970's but it's definitely an 80's look to me. Priest, Metallica, Maiden, Slash are perpetuated that look in the early 80's.

Anyhow, I'm just having fun. I think every era has it's positives and negatives.

And I love the high waisted look on the ladies. lol

:sick: nooooooooo

so sad that some of that stuff has come back in.... bad the first time, worse the second :pullhair:

+1

The high-waisted jeans are awful. :sick: I also don't see evidence that they're back in vogue...the waist lines have been plunging for years on women's jeans. Where are you guys seeing evidence the high-waist look is coming back?

I've actually seen it a lot recently. My girlfriend is 23, so I see a lot of the stuff she & her friends wear/like and I roll my eyes thinking of how awful it was when it was the "style" the first time around & I was like 12.

And now I feel like a dirty old man. Great.

Where are you guys seeing evidence the high-waist look is coming back?

It's been massively popular for the last 2 or possibly 3 years. It's fading a bit out of popularity but women still wear them a lot. I don't see waistlines plunging, I see the opposite. Suit pants, jeans, shorts with higher waists...I see them everywhere. You mostly see them on the nightclub scene or around downtown cores were people care about how they look but they also incorporate them into business suits.

You guys don't like this look? (shrug)

Kim%20Kardashian%20high%20wasited%20jeans.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinking we've got entirely different tastes & are just going to keep disagreeing.

I don't dress like it's any era. Most eras have some redeeming things that still look as good today as they did then & some of those I'll bite from when it compliments something else. But the 80's is the one era that I can't find anything that has a style that aged even slightly well or that I could find appealing at all (on me or anyone else).

And I won't even get into overall style/design of the era. Cars, paint colors, architecture, design... everything. That doesn't mean they can't be kinda cool either in spite or because of their ugliness, but that doesn't make the overall aesthetic of the 80's any less ugly.

Cars?! :o

You're killing me Joe!

85_Ferrari_308_GTS_QV_DV_09_Cb_S_05.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

delorean_ev_main.jpg

:sick: nooooooooo

so sad that some of that stuff has come back in.... bad the first time, worse the second :pullhair:

+1

The high-waisted jeans are awful. :sick: I also don't see evidence that they're back in vogue...the waist lines have been plunging for years on women's jeans. Where are you guys seeing evidence the high-waist look is coming back?

They look awful, but they are making a comeback (see Roy's post). A lot of the big "stars" are wearing them now. I know it's a look that Taylor Swift (probably the biggest pop star on the planet right now) is wearing.

Not feeling it, sorry man. Much more of a fan of the low waist-lines on girls jeans/skirts. And low necklines as well.

You're young. You'll learn. :devil:

You're killing me Joe!

1984 Ferrari 248 GTO is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced.

As is the Porsche 911 Turbo.

As is the Lotus Turbo Esprit from the mid 1980's.

FerrariGTO.jpg

930rearquarter.jpg

lotus-esprit-turbo-1983-1g.jpg

:applause:

Word has it that Lotus teamed up with Toyota to make the AW11.

You just don't see automotive style like that anymore because back then aerodynamic technology was still in it's infancy so automakers could still style their cars without worrying about fuel mileage too much.

Fast forward 20-30 years and everything starts to look generic because the perfect aerodynamic shape is what takes precedent.

New cars look cool but often it's hard to tell them apart.

I would argue the same for fashion. Up to the early 1990's you could still be daring and different - and the 80's were a crazy time for fashion with outrageous outfits (men looking like women, women looking like men, etc).

Today everything is much more homogenized. And everyone has a beard. lol

:applause:

Word has it that Lotus teamed up with Toyota to make the AW11.

You just don't see automotive style like that anymore because back then aerodynamic technology was still in it's infancy so automakers could still style their cars without worrying about fuel mileage too much.

Fast forward 20-30 years and everything starts to look generic because the perfect aerodynamic shape is what takes precedent.

New cars look cool but often it's hard to tell them apart.

I would argue the same for fashion. Up to the early 1990's you could still be daring and different - and the 80's were a crazy time for fashion with outrageous outfits (men looking like women, women looking like men, etc).

Today everything is much more homogenized. And everyone has a beard. lol

Yep. It's modern sports cars like these that make me miss the sports cars of the 80's...

2015_subaru_wrx_100457364_l.jpg

mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_x_04.jpg

zzz

You're killing me Joe!

85_Ferrari_308_GTS_QV_DV_09_Cb_S_05.jpg

IMG_6879.jpg

delorean_ev_main.jpg

No no, I get you... And maybe I was hasty in my "every car of the 80's"-ness of that statement.

The 911 is still gorgeous. But it's just a typical Porsche design. I'll grant you that & the Ferrari. The Lambo was a teenage wall poster that ran about as effectively as a wall poster, but it was still a matchbox car wet dream.

But the Delorean is ugly. Sorry. It's awesome in its ugliness, but it's ugly. Classic and ridiculous and nostalgic and ugly.

But you're really stretching brother! Exotics of almost any era are great. I love them no matter what era they're from. But I'm talking about the other 99.5% of cars on the road in the 80's. Try the production cars. The K-car platform, everything was a box, the trucks were pretty solid, if boring, muscle cars of years past looking like someone wanted to beat every curve they ever had off them into straight lines... the station wagon?!?!? The overall design of cars in the 80's was a snore-fest outside of the exotics. They're ugly, amorphous blobs.

But for the record, I'm a tuning guy & even I don't call an EVO or an STI or one of the rally-platform cars "sports cars". Not even close. Compare a Countach to an Aventador? Dear god, I'd take the Avent every day of the week and twice on Sunday. No really, can I have it twice on a Sunday?

Not feeling it, sorry man. Much more of a fan of the low waist-lines on girls jeans/skirts. And low necklines as well.

High waisted things can hide & compress bits that I don't want to see when those same high waisted pants are on the floor later. I don't like surprises. :grin:

High waisted things can hide & compress bits that I don't want to see when those same high waisted pants are on the floor later. I don't like surprises. :grin:

lol