• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

I've always thought of Nathaniel Essex as an older British gent, but Cranston could work.

Will we finally get the proper Sabertooth/Wolverine match up everyone has been dying for?

How about Timothy Dalton?

MV5BMTQ2OTkyNjk3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk4MDM1ODE@._V1__SX1857_SY894_.jpg

lol No freaking way. You know who would have been good? Christopher Lee

Actually Jeff Goldblum might be considerable IF he can wrap his mind around just how evil Sinister is. He has dominating presence and is capable of really delivering. It could be out of his range though

Well, I've been watching previews and I'll definitely be there to see it.

Other than WAAYYYYYY more jennifer lawrence than I care for (1 minute is to much) I think it looks good.

What's your issue with Jennifer Lawrence?

It's been talked about before that Jennifer Lawrence - though pretty - doesn't have that seasoned warrior feel with her portrayal of Mystique. Even in The Last Stand, when she is locked up in a secure cell playing psychological warfare with her security guard, just looking out you can tell what she threatens WILL happen.

Actually Jeff Goldblum might be considerable IF he can wrap his mind around just how evil Sinister is. He has dominating presence and is capable of really delivering. It could be out of his range though

Did you seriously just type that? lol

I have to say that apart from 'Winter's Bone' I find Jennifer Lawrence to be only an adequate actress at best. She's "fine" to me, but nothing special. (But in a superhero film, fine is fine!)

Dan

She's had too many great roles since Winter's Bone to just be called an adequate actress. Take Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle and Joy for instance. She even dominated nothing roles in House at the End of the Street, The Beaver and Serena. Even after Room, you can't say that for Brie Larson in 22 Jump Street. If anything these franchise paycheck roles are dimming her star as she shows more range than some of these productions actually deserve.

Her performance in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle were FAR above "adequate." Both movies had huge names in them, yet she outshined everyone else in both movies.

Other than WAAYYYYYY more jennifer lawrence than I care for (1 minute is to much) I think it looks good.

It's been talked about before that Jennifer Lawrence - though pretty - doesn't have that seasoned warrior feel with her portrayal of Mystique. Even in The Last Stand, when she is locked up in a secure cell playing psychological warfare with her security guard, just looking out you can tell what she threatens WILL happen.

They were doing some kind of audio processing on her voice in those films that added to her gravitas to make it sound otherworldly that they're not doing with Lawrence for whatever reason. In the scene you just linked, Romijn wasn't at all responsible for her threateningness, the screenwriter and director were...in the few seconds they showed her she had no lines and just stood there.

They were doing some kind of audio processing on her voice in those films that added to her gravitas to make it sound otherworldly that they're not doing with Lawrence for whatever reason. In the scene you just linked, Romijn wasn't at all responsible for her threateningness, the screenwriter and director were...in the few seconds they showed her she had no lines and just stood there.

Sorry. You missed the point of the example.

Even in The Last Stand, when she is locked up in a secure cell playing psychological warfare with her security guard, just looking out you can tell what she threatens WILL happen.

But even during her interrogation, you can tell they had done a masterful job of capturing the spirit of Mystique in addition to fantastic demonstrations how deadly the character truly is to anyone that gets in her way.

That's not to say Jennifer Lawrence hasn't done a good job with the role. There were scenes in Days of Future Past I really enjoyed seeing her in action. It's just not the same feel with the character.

Far and away the most over-rated actress in the last 20 years.

Terrible physical presence for Mystique

Mystique is ultra athletic, with hyper reflexes, and moves with a fluid gracefulness

Jennifer is wide hipped, horsey, and moves with a plodding clumsiness (in her scenes when it's really her, and not the stunt double)

Rebecca Romijn was ten times better, and the perfect physical presence for the part.

Heck, anybody else would be better.

Jennifer IS NOT superhero material

Let her stick to girl next door type roles

Even in The Last Stand, when she is locked up in a secure cell playing psychological warfare with her security guard, just looking out you can tell what she threatens WILL happen.

But even during her interrogation, you can tell they had done a masterful job of capturing the spirit of Mystique in addition to fantastic demonstrations how deadly the character truly is to anyone that gets in her way.

That's not to say Jennifer Lawrence hasn't done a good job with the role. There were scenes in Days of Future Past I really enjoyed seeing her in action. It's just not the same feel with the character.

Look at Rebecca's face and eyes, perfect for the part, Jennifer's girl next door look and eyes are about as non-threatening as they come.

Look at Rebecca's face and eyes, perfect for the part, Jennifer's girl next door look and eyes are about as non-threatening as they come.

That definitely helped with her killer look and feel. Like at any moment she will snap your neck just for saying the wrong thing.

I believe the problem with Jennifer Lawrence is the fact that they casted her as Mystique.

JL is now an A-list actress while Mystique is generally a B character. Now that JL is playing her, we have to give her as much screen time as possible, which doesn't work for Mystique.

Kinda the opposite happened with Hugh Jackman. Wolverine was an A character while Jackman, at the time, was a nobody. They had to make Wolverine front and center since he is the most popular character. Now Jackman is an A-list actor.

The issues with Mystique and JL are not really JL's fault because there is a lack of a female "Wolverine type of popular" character in the X-Men. They had to force Mystique into that position.

I believe the problem with Jennifer Lawrence is the fact that they casted her as Mystique.

JL is now an A-list actress while Mystique is generally a B character. Now that JL is playing her, we have to give her as much screen time as possible, which doesn't work for Mystique.

Kinda the opposite happened with Hugh Jackman. Wolverine was an A character while Jackman, at the time, was a nobody. They had to make Wolverine front and center since he is the most popular character. Now Jackman is an A-list actor.

The issues with Mystique and JL are not really JL's fault because there is a lack of a female "Wolverine type of popular" character in the X-Men. They had to force Mystique into that position.

Mystique in the comics wasn't a "B" character, was she? In the 80s she was the leader of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and talked a hell of a lot. I always assumed they had Romijn be mostly silent because at the point she was in X-Men, she was a model who had barely ever acted so they didn't write her many lines. Bryan Singer did the exact same thing for Sabretooth in the first X-Men film--in the comics he's a constant chatterbox, but Singer realized Tyler Mane couldn't act, so he killed almost all of his lines.

She's annoying. I prefer Rebecca Romijn Mystique.

b0b19c1a75c85eae_tumblr_mnjrzfcROd1sstxpso1_500.xxxlarge.gif

I prefer Rebecca Romijn as Mystique too.

She's annoying. I prefer Rebecca Romijn Mystique.

b0b19c1a75c85eae_tumblr_mnjrzfcROd1sstxpso1_500.xxxlarge.gif

I prefer Rebecca Romijn as Mystique too.

+1

Mystique should have never had such a prominent role in these X-Men films.

I hope after this movie flops Fox can finally replace Singer with a decent director.

I agree with you on Mystique, but I don't wish the film to flop. I know it's not going to be all that good, but actually wishing for it to do bad isn't going to help the franchise any.

Far and away the most over-rated actress in the last 20 years.

Terrible physical presence for Mystique

Mystique is ultra athletic, with hyper reflexes, and moves with a fluid gracefulness

Jennifer is wide hipped, horsey, and moves with a plodding clumsiness (in her scenes when it's really her, and not the stunt double)

Rebecca Romijn was ten times better, and the perfect physical presence for the part.

Heck, anybody else would be better.

Jennifer IS NOT superhero material

Let her stick to girl next door type roles

+1 - My thoughts exactly

You know what? I'll give Jennifer Lawernce credit for being a personality that is just there. Even if she is a bit dumb.

Like I'm one to talk, I can't spell her last name right