• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GODZILLA!!!

387 posts in this topic

This movie did exactly what it was aimed to do.

Take your cash while giving you enough to want more to set up massive sequels...

I admit, it was not a classic but as long it kept dollars from going to ASM2 I'm happy.

Godzilla scored a whopping $93.2 million on its opening weekend, far outpacing tracking guestimates that presumed around $70m. That includes $9.3m in Thursday showings (9.9% of its weekend take) and a $38.5m opening day, giving the film a somewhat bleh 2.42x weekend multiplier Still, as a box office pundit, there are few things more enjoyable than a happy box office surprise, when a film vastly over-performs its tracking and expectations. Such is the case with Godzilla. The Gareth Edwards monster revamp has the second-biggest opening weekend of the year, behind the $95m opening weekend of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It is ahead of the $91m debut for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and currently the 6th-biggest debut weekend for a non-sequel. It is beyond cliche to refer to a Godzilla film as a “box office monster”, but if the shoe fits…

:applause:

Box Office: 'Godzilla' Opens to Monstrous $93.2 Million in North America ($196 MM worldwide)

Overseas, the $160 million movie debuted to $103 million from 64 markets for a global total of $196.2 million for Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.

Marking the summer's second tentpole, Godzilla delivered the second-best opening of the year so far after Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million) and bested the $91.6 million opening of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 two weeks ago.

The $160 million movie did especially strong business in fanboy friendly Imax theaters, which turned in 15 percent of the overall gross with $13.5 million from 352 locations, putting the theater average at a stellar $40,057. And more than half of the movie's earnings came from 3D locations, an especially strong showing.

Godzilla, finally launching a Hollywood studio franchise headlined by the giant lizard, is a defining moment for Legendary Pictures, which spearheaded the reboot. Thomas Tull's Legendary financed 75 percent of Godzilla, with Warner Bros. putting up the rest of the money.

:applause:

So Godzilla had a budget of $160 million and it's already expected to make its money back. If the budget was $200 million I wonder if we would have gotten that whole airport scene.

Big G looked pretty tubby, not surprised he had to have a lie down after his big fight :D

Just saw the movie and the symbolism was very high. When the main character used fire on the nest, big G started using his fire breath on the MUTOs. When the main character fell down in the boat, so did big G in the city. I'm not 100% sure what the tie is between big G and this character though. (shrug)

USA TODAY: Why we still love Godzilla

William Tsutsui, author of Godzilla on My Mind: Fifty Years of the King of Monsters, grew up watching Godzilla movies in the '50s and '60s in central Texas and says the character evokes a feeling of nostalgia for those of his generation. Plus, he's simply fun to watch.

"He defends Japan, and yet he's always somewhat surly toward Japan,'' says Tsutsui. "Even after he's vanquished a space alien, he still has enough energy to drag his feet through a Japanese city on the way back, which is hilarious.''

Saw it today, really enjoyed it! I know most people are annoyed with the lack of Godzilla screen time, but from the trailers I saw I was afraid they were going to show him like they showed the monster in Cloverfield. So I was happily surprised when they fully showed him fighting.

Also the radiation beam was awesome!

Deadline is reporting a Godzilla sequel in the works already.
:whee:

Looking forward to Godzilla vs Gamera (the flying turtle!) or vs. Mechagodzilla with a Chinese game show actor co-starring playing a Japanese scientist. Somehow it all made sense back in 2002 by Toho Productions. doh!

It's a flick about monsters punching each other and knocking over buildings. I didn't expect much, and didn't get much in return.

Its actually about a soldier trying to disarm a nuke and get home to his family. Godzilla wasn't in this movie.

the movie was a bit slow at times, admittedly, but I chalked it up to them creating the big build up by making you anticipate.

I agree that there could have been more Godzilla but would it have been half as good a movie if it was just some big monster trashing things? There's only so much of that you can watch in one sitting.

I think they did a terrific job with the build up, by showing little whisps of the monsters at a time and really making you want to see more. Loved all the little Easter eggs they had in there

(like the moth collection).

When they finally broke out the big bad monster (Mutu? sp?) it seemed larger than life. Ver well done. I didn't expect that. I thought we were watching big G hatch. And when they broke out an even larger one? Holy cow, I didn't expect that to satisfy to so much.

And then when they finally showed how big Godzilla was? It was like Ice Cream on a Sunday afternoon for me.

I don't know, I went in not expecting much (but feeling in my gut it was going to be good) and to me it was.

I agree that a little more Godzilla would have been better.

Hopefully they have a bigger budget for the sequel but don't get their heads inflated and they put out a good one next time round.

Just saw this yesterday in IMAX 3-D.

Loved it !

The lack of Godzilla screen time made me anticipate his arrival even more... and when we finally hear his "roar"... it shakes your guts to the core.

Sequel please ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp