• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GODZILLA!!!

387 posts in this topic

Looks like I am in the minority here...

Godzilla himself was badass. No doubt.

The first hour and a half made me want to cry, it so boring.

Last half hour redeemed the film in my eyes, but I won't go see it again or buy it on Blu.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I felt bored most of the time while they

developed the plot, and mad when they just kept cutting away from the fight scenes.

I am glad others enjoyed it much more than me, because I think a sequel could have some promise.

I agree, it hurts me to say this but I really didn't like it. I feel like Godzilla only had a cameo appearance in his own movie. But when he did show up.... BAD

There is also a lack of fight scenes between Godzilla and MOTU...

I just got back from seeing it, and nowhere in the film does Godzilla fight He-Man and Skeletor...

All joking aside, it was freakin' AWESOME. I did the same thing others have said...when his tail started lighting up a HUGE smile crossed my face, I squeezed my girlfriend's leg (she said later, "REALLY hard.") and I said to her, "YES! Here we go!"

I was like a little kid on Saturday afternoon watching the old films...it really was great.

Peace,

Chip

Ahh, but did you catch Mothra's cameo in the film?

As a longtime fan of Godzilla I have come to the conclusion that for many, the suspension of disbelief required to enjoy a Godzilla film is beyond them. For many, the size and scope of the character exceeds their imagination capabilities and no matter what the plot, actors or special effects, Godzilla will always remain, in their minds, a child's character out of their grasp.

That said, after viewing this latest incarnation of Godzilla I found the movie contained many elements and overtones not seen since the original. Unlike other reviews I've read, the slow reveal of Godzilla was appreciated and his screen time only reflects what the original emphasized, the impact on a nation and in particular a handful of characters. I think some have forgotten the time frame in which Godzilla is fully revealed in the original with many ships sunk and a few days spent on Odo Island before a quick head shot reveal.

It is unfortunate that Aaron Taylor Johnson seemed to lack emotion with so much screen time. His anxiety and anguish should have been on full display yet he remains calm, too calm in fact, at critical moments.

The special effects were excellent, the MOTU did have me thinking a liberal swipe of Megaguirus took place during -script writing though. A couple plot holes, nothing terrible. A far too handy flammable available at a key moment was a stretch. Would have preferred the ending that occurred immediately after the struggle, not drawn out.

The reimage of Dr. Serizawa was a nice touch. An eye patch would have been cool. Was hoping to see at least a reworking of the stormy night on Odo Island, its a classic scene filled with dread and no reveal and would have worked well at the Hawaiian islands.

I'd give the movie 4 out of 5 stars and will keep my fingers crossed for a second installment with a more talented lead actor and a better supporting cast. I was more than satisfied with Godzilla's screen time, appreciated the ominous tone throughout, and thought Cranston delivered completely on his character.

Saw it today. I thought it was well done. Glad he used his fire to torch the monsters. I was waiting for his flame breathing action. His scream is still classic. Only a rodan appearance would have made this better.

Could 'Godzilla' break $98 MM this weekend? Forecasts say so.

Compared to recent releases, Godzilla actually performed better than The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ($8.7 million), and was only a bit behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($10.2 million). It also did over twice as much business as World War Z ($3.6 million), which had the advantage of opening when school was out.

This debut guarantees at least $70 million for Godzilla. If it plays like Spider-Man 2, it will have the biggest opening of the year with around $98 million. It could go even higher, though: using Thor: The Dark World or 300: Rise of An Empire as comparable titles puts the movie above $110 million for the weekend.

Of course, those are all sequels, which should theoretically be more front-loaded. At this point, the sky is the limit for Godzilla.

Saw it today. I thought it was well done. Glad he used his fire to torch the monsters. I was waiting for his flame breathing action. His scream is still classic. Only a rodan appearance would have made this better.

RODAN...

:cloud9:

Watched it last night.

The bad: Not enough Godzilla.

The good: Everything else. Modern effects and faithful to the source material. The storyline was fantastic. I can't wait until part 2!

In conclusion: If you had a problem with Superman destroying a couple of buildings, this movie is NOT going to be for you. Otherwise, grab some popcorn and enjoy monster destruction at it's finest.

Last half hour redeemed the film in my eyes, but I won't go see it again or buy it on Blu.

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I felt bored most of the time while they

developed the plot, and mad when they just kept cutting away from the fight scenes.

I am glad others enjoyed it much more than me, because I think a sequel could have some promise.

I agree, it hurts me to say this but I really didn't like it. I feel like Godzilla only had a cameo appearance in his own movie. But when he did show up.... BAD

Same.

I also felt like many of the scenes were unintentionally funny and while I was watching the audience laughed many times.

ummmm,

I just took over this...

It was red hook's until he went barn yard ridiculous!

Anyway, I don't want to derail here - like the bungholes did to my legitimate complaint against Metro thread.

:P

Almost no action in the first hour of the movie. Half the time you see Godzilla he was swimming in the ocean. When he FINALLY appeared on land, most of the time it was dark, cloudy or they were shaking the camera... again, they were cheating us. Only a few clean shots of Godzilla here and there. The CGI on the destruction parts was awesome, but I came to see Godzilla, not half destroyed buildings. Bryan Cranston was AWESOME in the movie, only decent actor in it... and he wasn't around for long. I give the movie a C+

o.k. since i am the OP I feel it is time for me to write my review.

Over all I give it a 7 out of 10, which is great for a monster movie.

There are obvious reasons why I pulled this back (most of what was already stated, but forgivable for a monster flick)...

One thing that I must agree with a good bit of the critics issue was that this movie could've been edited down a lot more. There was too much character fluff that could've been cut away to allow more monster time.

This was a great monster flick and I got my money's worth, I just feel that if they if they edited this more it could've gotten higher. It just felt sluggish in areas.

It's tough to be a movie critic and give a honest opinion. The fanboy in me wants to give this 10 out of 10, but that wouldn't be fair to the films that worked their arses off to earn that status.

Still though, my fam and I loved it!

(worship)

This flick motivated me to look through the attic and find old trusty...

He's seen a lot of love: his fire switch is broke and he's missing a his fist, but he's still GODZILLA!!!

147318.jpg

:cloud9:

Almost no action in the first hour of the movie. Half the time you say Godzilla he was swimming in the ocean. When he FINALLY appeared on land, most of the time it was dark, cloudy or they were shaking the camera... again, they were cheating us. Only a few clean shots of Godzilla here and there. The CGI on the destruction parts was awesome, but I came to see Godzilla, not half destroyed buildings. Bryan Cranston was AWESOME in the movie, only decent actor in it... and he wasn't around for long. I give the movie a C+

It definitely needed a lot more Godzilla in this Godzilla movie. That's a fact.

Almost no action in the first hour of the movie. Half the time you say Godzilla he was swimming in the ocean. When he FINALLY appeared on land, most of the time it was dark, cloudy or they were shaking the camera... again, they were cheating us. Only a few clean shots of Godzilla here and there. The CGI on the destruction parts was awesome, but I came to see Godzilla, not half destroyed buildings. Bryan Cranston was AWESOME in the movie, only decent actor in it... and he wasn't around for long. I give the movie a C+

It definitely needed a lot more Godzilla in this Godzilla movie. That's a fact.

:(

Same.

I also felt like many of the scenes were unintentionally funny and while I was watching the audience laughed many times.

Glad I wasn't the only one. I'm sad to report that this is only the second movie in my entire life that I fell asleep in. Painfully slow, didn't care for the characters, which is a shame considering it was Walter White, Kick-, and Scarlet Witch, who btw :cloud9:

Terrible movie, I'm sorry to say. Had such potential. The director did a bad job with the -script or the writer was just bad. Maybe both. Onward to Neighbors and X-Men.

Saw it last night with my brother in Imax 3D. My review with some spoilers (contained) is below:

The movie follows the Brody family ...

First this family was troubled by a shark and now this. Man, they can't get a brake...

:grin:

I actually thought the first hour of the movie was awesome with how they dealt with the warning of future dangers of nuclear reactors. That humans should not play with and try to control nature. I don`t want to give away much, but the first hour is what brings us in to care about the characters, then we have the bridge, then the final hour of Godzilla vs. monsters. I was impressed with the whole movie, and I can`t wait until Godzilla 2. (thumbs u

Great movie. I just wish Bryan Cranston was the lead. His performance is close to what I expected, just needed a little more bad ery and a little less whining. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was not my cup of tea. I echo a previous boardies comment that he was way to calm during critical moments.