• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance of Batman Beyond/Terry McGinnis? Could get hot?

46 posts in this topic

As a kid, Batman Beyond was THEE show to watch. Pure epicness and the Return of the Joker movie is one of the best Bat-movies out there period.

I'm trying to get a little clarification as to the first appearance of the character. If I understand this correctly, the situation is similar to Harley Quinn right?

Beyond premiered in his own Batman Beyond #1 comic in 1999, which lines up with the show's debut. This would be the Batman Adventures #12 equivalent.

Batman_Beyond_V1_01_Cover.jpg

Now apparently his introduction into the DCU first happens in Batman #700 in 2010. The HQ comparison still holds validity, as this would parallel her appearance in Batman: Harley Quinn.

This is when it gets weird.. I also hear that his intro happens in the Batman/Superman Annual #4? Then the 3rd Batman Beyond Series in 2010 ALSO is his introduction into the DCU somehow, b/c the Bat #700 was with a different origin? Totally confused.

Regardless, I was hoping someone here could make sense of this. I picked up the 1999 first issue, along with the 2010 first issue and Batman #700. All I need now is the Superman/Batman Annual #4 :banana:

Do you guys see this character becoming the same as Quinn in the future? Both started in the DCAU, became wildly popular, and all fans are hoping to see them in a live-action movie! There's a HUGE generation of Beyond fans like myself that are getting older. It seems inevitable, so why does Batman Beyond #1 get the shaft and BA #12 is the $200 book? I very much doubt the print run for the Beyond series was very high either!

More confusion: Link

The Batman Beyond concept became DC Comics canon in the pages of Superman/Batman issues 22 and 23, wherein Bizarro is transported to an alternate reality somewhere in Hypertime which resembled the Batman Beyond-era Gotham City, with Batman Beyond in action with the 1999 animated black-and-red costume and 1992 Batplane.

This version of the character is in radio contact with Bruce Wayne, but was referred to as "Tim"; at a panel at Wondercon 2007, the DC panel stated that this was an error, and should be "Terry". The Batman Beyond cameo was enough to garner a DC Direct action figure, the character's first in years. However, the name is still misprinted as "Tim Drake". This may have also been an alternate reality, given that Batzarro went into one as well.

Superman-batman22_batmanbeyond.jpg

But Doc's right. Without the T&A factor McGinnis probably won't do Harley numbers. He's more in the vein of Damian Wayne. Maybe if they do a League of Basterd Batmen. hm

If you are talking about regular DC universe/canon then Superman/Batman Annual 4 is the book to get over Batman 700.

1. It was released a week earlier.

2. It has a third, 33k, the print run of Batman 700 (over 100k obviously). The print run for the 2nd printing of Superman/Batman Annual 4 was only around 4k according to comichron.

3. Superman/Batman Annual 4 has consistently sold for a higher price.

Kind of stupid that Harley Quinn wins because of T&A factor. I mean jeez Poison Ivy is hotter than her yet she isn't as popular.

By the way, I'm not speculating. I want these books for enjoyment purposes and to get the first appearances of one of my favorite characters. The question as to whether or not McGinnis would ever get popular is just throwing it out there and an added bonus if he one day gets a movie, which should happen b/c the character rules.

Not so much speculating for me. I have been a fan of the concept since I saw it. I was even impressed when they snuck in the easter egg of the costume back in the current Batman run.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6523116

I would like to get a copy of the first appearance of the character.