• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would it violate copyright laws...

26 posts in this topic

Would I run afoul of some kind of copyright law if I made a Youtube video showing select comicbook panels as the text on them was read out loud for the video? Like perhaps the key moment that Spiderman was bitten by the radioactive spider?

Last night, me and my two young daughters were reading the 1st appearance of Supergirl together, like it was a play. It was sooo funny! My kids were making ridiculous voices for the characters, and I was doing the narrator portion in an over-the-top manner.

I was thinking it would be fun do make a few of these videos and share them with the world.

Would I run afoul of some kind of copyright law if I made a Youtube video showing select comicbook panels as the text on them was read out loud for the video? Like perhaps the key moment that Spiderman was bitten by the radioactive spider?

Last night, me and my two young daughters were reading the 1st appearance of Supergirl together, like it was a play. It was sooo funny! My kids were making ridiculous voices for the characters, and I was doing the narrator portion in an over-the-top manner.

I was thinking it would be fun do make a few of these videos and share them with the world.

Seeing how vicious Disney has been in the past going after people putting any of their material online, you might want to stick with DCs. :eek:

I generally think any question starting with "Would it violate copyright laws" is probably a yes. Your idea sounds like a lot of fun and articles often show select panels or clips so I'm guessing there is a sweet spot that would work just fine. 2c

I generally think any question starting with "Would it violate copyright laws" is probably a yes. Your idea sounds like a lot of fun and articles often show select panels or clips so I'm guessing there is a sweet spot that would work just fine. 2c

+1

I think this constitutes as the gray "acceptable" area that the comics industry lets slide.

If you do the reading... yes.

If Morgan Freeman does it... no.

Why?

Because Morgan Freeman narrating Amazing Fantasy 15 while the images of the book scroll across the screen would be awesome.

Seeing how vicious Disney has been in the past going after people putting any of their material online, you might want to stick with DCs. :eek:

I remember 30 or so years ago that Disney sued a California (I think) pre-school because they had Disney characters painted on the walls. It's not like the school was making money from them- if anything, it was free advertisement for Disney.

Ugly greed.

I remember 30 or so years ago that Disney sued a California (I think) pre-school because they had Disney characters painted on the walls. It's not like the school was making money from them- if anything, it was free advertisement for Disney.

Ugly greed.

But that was a matter of trademark protection, and as ugly as it sounds, if you don't protect your trademark vigorously, you can lose it - that's why Xerox and Kleenix have lawyers sending out letters every time someone uses their trademark as the same as "copy" or "tissue".

Why?

Because Morgan Freeman narrating Amazing Fantasy 15 while the images of the book scroll across the screen would be awesome.

It is incredible how many things Morgan Freeman narrates. I've looked around for select speeches and find the oddest videos with Morgan Freeman narrating them. It is simply incredible.

Why?

It is incredible how many things Morgan Freeman narrates. I've looked around for select speeches and find the oddest videos with Morgan Freeman narrating them. It is simply incredible.

Wait until the LEGO movie comes out.

Ugly greed.

The rest of the story. It was 1989 and the three daycare centers were in Florida. Disney threatened to sue if the five foot high characters were not removed from the daycare walls. Universal Studios - seeing an opportunity - gave the daycare center permission to use their characters. Once done, a special ceremony complete with Universal execs and costumed characters was held

Link:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

Filling up the forms, send them off tonight

And you'll be the owner of the copyright

Of the copyright, of the copyright

Disclaimer: The following should not be viewed as the giving of legal advice by me or in any way implying an attorney/client relationship and should not be relied upon in any way whatsoever by anyone reading it. Moreover, I am likely not admitted to practice law in your jurisdiction and thus anything I have written should be further ignored and not relied upon:

1) Yes. Youtube is public distribution, you don't need to sell anything to violate the copyright laws. As these are all registered images they don't need to show lost profits or sales on your part, they can be entitled to statutory damages AND attorneys fees. I once won a case and got an $850,000 judgment where my client's lost profits from pirated versions of their books were only $1500 or so. Likewise, I had a client who paid out $15K to settle a case where the lost profits to the plaintiff were also less than $1500.

2) Fair use is generally an academic/press defense, and even then, permission is usually received. If you see articles incorporating panels from a comic I'd venture to guess they got permission first.

3) You might have a parody defense if you're being goofy about it. After you've spent $50K itigating that issue, please let us know how it turns out.

4) I can't imagine Stan Lee would allow them to harass you! Stan is the Man!

5) Generally, where infringing sales aren't involved (and even sometimes where they are when it's a dicey issue) these things are done via cease and desist letters before litigation is commenced, so you'd be able to take them off youtube I suppose if they had a problem. You, of course, can't assume they would do this, but I can see a judge being pretty irritated with them if they didn't give you an opportunity to fix the problem given that this is just for fun and not for money.