• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,931 posts in this topic

The model for the girl on the 21 is LB Cole's daughter.

If you like these by Cole, I suspect you'll find about 100 others by him to be just as entertaining. Don't say you weren't warned. poke2.gif

Interesting. I didn't know that. thumbsup2.gif

I have a list of about 30-40 that I am looking for, they are posted in the marketplace. Care to help out? I know you probably have a ton of killer copies. hail.gif

I don't really have a "ton" of anything, just a select few of a number of things. Besides, you're cheap. poke2.gif

Seriously, I think you'll have fun looking for LB Coles. My first exposure to him was through the adverstisement for the Gerber Guide that came out a few months before Vol 1. It was the Blue Bolt Weird Tales page on one side, with the general information about the books on the other side. I was absolutely floored, and it helped get me into collecting esoteric GA.

One recommendation for you is to look for LB Coles at SD so that you get a chance to see them in person, if even if you aren't going to buy them. Some of his stuff looks good in Gerber, but rough in person. The reverse is also true, as some have a lot of interesting detail that you can't appreciate until see the full-size image.

27_laughing.gif I am cheap, but not with these. I have to pay guide or I won't own them.

I have already noticed what you mentioned. The Terrors of the Jungles 20 wasn't terribly impressive in the guide, but in-hand it's quite a cover.

I was almost going to use that as an example as I LOVE that cover -- both for color and design. I think the fact that it doesn't catch your eye in the Gerber is what makes it relatively affordable. There are some covers that I purchased and then went "Huh". Cole did some great work, but there are a few average covers scattered here and there. His premier run of any lenght is probably the Blue Bolt Weird run.

And I'd pay guide for 9.2 copies all day long, if I could find them at that price. So far that hasn't been a problem. frown.gif

Edited by adamstrange

BTW, that's a terrific looking copy of the #20. If it has flaws, they don't appear to mar the enjoyment of the art.

The model for the girl on the 21 is LB Cole's daughter.

If you like these by Cole, I suspect you'll find about 100 others by him to be just as entertaining. Don't say you weren't warned. poke2.gif

Interesting. I didn't know that. thumbsup2.gif

I have a list of about 30-40 that I am looking for, they are posted in the marketplace. Care to help out? I know you probably have a ton of killer copies. hail.gif

I don't really have a "ton" of anything, just a select few of a number of things. Besides, you're cheap. poke2.gif

Seriously, I think you'll have fun looking for LB Coles. My first exposure to him was through the adverstisement for the Gerber Guide that came out a few months before Vol 1. It was the Blue Bolt Weird Tales page on one side, with the general information about the books on the other side. I was absolutely floored, and it helped get me into collecting esoteric GA.

One recommendation for you is to look for LB Coles at SD so that you get a chance to see them in person, if even if you aren't going to buy them. Some of his stuff looks good in Gerber, but rough in person. The reverse is also true, as some have a lot of interesting detail that you can't appreciate until see the full-size image.

27_laughing.gif I am cheap, but not with these. I have to pay guide or I won't own them.

I have already noticed what you mentioned. The Terrors of the Jungles 20 wasn't terribly impressive in the guide, but in-hand it's quite a cover.

I was almost going to use that as an example as I LOVE that cover -- both for color and design. I think the fact that it doesn't catch your eye in the Gerber is what makes it relatively affordable. There are some covers that I purchased and then went "Huh". Cole did some great work, but there are a few average covers scattered here and there. His premier run of any lenght is probably the Blue Bolt Weird run.

And I'd pay guide for 9.2 copies all day long, if I could find them at that price. So far that hasn't been a problem. frown.gif

Hell, I would pay guide for nice looking 5.0-7.0 copies. confused-smiley-013.gif $100-200 each is worth it for me personally, no matter what the guide says.

The Blue Bolt run is fantastic. I especially want issue 124, after it turned into Ghostly Weird. Love that cover. Very creepy. Spook 28 and Thrilling Crime 49 are also at the top of my list.

BTW, that's a terrific looking copy of the #20. If it has flaws, they don't appear to mar the enjoyment of the art.

It has enough flaws on the back and the intererior to bring it down into the low fine range, but that's fine with me. The eye appeal is definitely intact and it looks to be a high VF just going by the front. It's exactly the type of book I want to seek out....where the eye appeal and technical grade do not match allowing for a cheap, but good looking, book.

The Blue Bolt run is fantastic. I especially want issue 124, after it turned into Ghostly Weird. Love that cover. Very creepy. Spook 28 and Thrilling Crime 49 are also at the top of my list.

Most folks usually cite the 108, 111 or 115 as their favorite, but tastes do vary.

I didn't feel that Spook 28 was as cool in person as it looked in Gerber.

The Thrilling Crime 49 is phenomenal!

Most folks usually cite the 108, 111 or 115 as their favorite, but tastes do vary.

I actually think the Spook 28 is better in person. I guess I just like the Lovecraftian vibe the cover gives off...."Creeping Death" and all.

I do like Blue Bolt 115, but 108 and 111 don't do much for me. The boar-man on the cover to 111 always looked goofy to my eyes and the 108 space scene (while cool) isn't one of his best. I think Contact 12 and Captain Flight 11 are much stronger covers in that vein.

Outside of Mask 1 and 2, I think Thrilling Crime 49 is his best ever.

I actually think the Spook 28 is better in person. I guess I just like the Lovecraftian vibe the cover gives off...."Creeping Death" and all.

I do like Blue Bolt 115, but 108 and 111 don't do much for me. The boar-man on the cover to 111 always looked goofy to my eyes and the 108 space scene (while cool) isn't one of his best. I think Contact 12 and Captain Flight 11 are much stronger covers in that vein.

Outside of Mask 1 and 2, I think Thrilling Crime 49 is his best ever.

Tastes do vary and as long as you've seen a book a like it, that's all that matters.

I'm a big of fan of Mask 2, myself.

Mask2.jpg

Tastes do vary and as long as you've seen a book a like it, that's all that matters.

I'm a big of fan of Mask 2, myself.

Mask2.jpg

My God. Does that belong to you? 893whatthe.gifmad.gifhail.gifpopcorn.gif

Too bad about the dull colors. yeahok.gif

My God. Does that belong to you?

Nah. It's just another of the scans I've swiped off of the web to fool everyone. wink.gif

Too bad about the dull colors.

Luckily, they're brighter in person than they are in the scan. yay.gif

My God. Does that belong to you?

Nah. It's just another of the scans I've swiped off of the web to fool everyone. wink.gif

Too bad about the dull colors.

Luckily, they're brighter in person than they are in the scan. yay.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Maybe I can sell two of my full bronze and silver shortboxes and afford a copy half as nice. mad.gif

You know, this thread has so many of his covers posted, it would be cool to make a list of what is here and what is missing so we could fill it out with at least one example of each of his covers.

Did I volunteer? shy.gifblush.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifhail.giftakeit.gif

makepoint.gif Much too nice for you.

I, on the hand... devil.gif

P.S. Thanks for posting, cd!

You know, this thread has so many of his covers posted, it would be cool to make a list of what is here and what is missing so we could fill it out with at least one example of each of his covers.

Did I volunteer? shy.gifblush.gif

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but LB Cole drew over 1500 covers.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifhail.giftakeit.gif

makepoint.gif Much too nice for you.

893naughty-thumb.gif

I am a high roller now! acclaim.gif

poke2.gif Winning one night at craps does not a high-roller make!