• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,931 posts in this topic

Well, this blew the doors off my last "highest money" purchase...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEBI:IT

The seller had it up for a $250 BIN in his store and I foolishly thought I would get it for under $200. Ended up paying $16 OVER the BIN (which was pulled yesterday) as a result. I REALLY REALLY wanted it though.

Hope it turns out ok (and unrestored)! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Cool book 893applaud-thumb.gif, sucks about that private bidder.

The seller seems to have good feedback. Are you going to get it slabbed (for a resto check)?

Hopefully it will. I was watching that auction closely and kept on seeing the price going up. Congrats on the pick-up. I nominated that cover in the GA Contest. Didn't get much votes though. Still a cool cover. thumbsup2.gif

Well, this blew the doors off my last "highest money" purchase...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEBI:IT

The seller had it up for a $250 BIN in his store and I foolishly thought I would get it for under $200. Ended up paying $16 OVER the BIN (which was pulled yesterday) as a result. I REALLY REALLY wanted it though.

Cool book 893applaud-thumb.gif, sucks about that private bidder.

The seller seems to have good feedback. Are you going to get it slabbed (for a resto check)?

I am considering it. The edges look really sharp for such an old book. I know production quality was not the best back then, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Do you know if I can send it to a restorer to do a resto check for less? I wonder how much cheaper it would be than slabbing...

I am considering it. The edges look really sharp for such an old book. I know production quality was not the best back then, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Do you know if I can send it to a restorer to do a resto check for less? I wonder how much cheaper it would be than slabbing...

Funny you say that about the sharp corners as that is the first thing that struck me about the book. Sorry I have no info on who would be better to do a resto check, but if you go CGC you get the grade also (if that's important to you).

Funny you say that about the sharp corners as that is the first thing that struck me about the book. Sorry I have no info on who would be better to do a resto check, but if you go CGC you get the grade also (if that's important to you).

I can grade the book myself, but the resto check would be worth the money as I am not the most experienced at that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I have any questions at all about the books "virgin" status, I will be sending it away. That's way too much money for me to screw around with.

Hopefully it will. I was watching that auction closely and kept on seeing the price going up. Congrats on the pick-up. I nominated that cover in the GA Contest. Didn't get much votes though. Still a cool cover. thumbsup2.gif

I voted for it (#3 of my Super-hero list IIRC)! Catman #31 and #32 are two of my all time favorite GA covers. October, seems like a decent price, if the grade is even close. There was a day when a VG copy would have run that much or more.

Congrats, Andy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The seller runs a tiny shop here in NYC and I've bought a GA book from him before...nice fellow to deal with. If something turns out to be wrong with this book, I wouldn't anticipate a hassle over a return, though obviously I hope it doesn't come to that. Awesome book!

My second GA purchase off eBay. The blurry scan made for a cheap price and I was really happy when I saw the book! Great copy......except for the amateur color touch on the 893censored-thumb.gif spine.

893censored-thumb.gif

Seller seems like a nice guy and I am sure he didn't know about the resto. I paid $37 shipped, and I figure the book is an (A) 6.0. Can you guys help me out, by PM or posting, on the value? How much of a refund should I ask for? I want to keep it, as it presents VERY nicely with vivid colors, but not at the price paid. Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

totj5.jpg

1238948-totj5.JPG.11476b93fa3f5766878882f624a64e58.JPG

Edited by october

confused-smiley-013.gif Ask him to make it $30 so ask for $7 back. I'm actually curious to see what others have to say. I don't have guide on this book here but even with the color touch, that's still a $25 to $30 book if not more, no?

confused-smiley-013.gif Ask him to make it $30 so ask for $7 back. I'm actually curious to see what others have to say. I don't have guide on this book here but even with the color touch, that's still a $25 to $30 book if not more, no?

6.0 guide is $117. thumbsup2.gif

Sorry to hear it Andy. Agree with Scrooge entirely...$7 or so partial refund seems about right unless you're too disappointed with the book to enjoy it. These aren't like BA books where a mid-grade with amateur resto is worthless. There will always be some demand for it, the book looks great, & I'd have no problem paying $25-30 as is.

6.0 guide is $117. thumbsup2.gif

At that price in Guide, I'd pay $30 all day every day for that copy with the CT.

Thanks for your work on the LB Cole "library", ckb! No big deal, but a few of the scans I posted here last week weren't added...Power 4, upgrades for Terrors 21 & Startling 14 I believe. Other than that, looking great!

At that price I'd keep it and not worry about asking for a token partial refund, though I would e-mail the seller and let him know that you found it, and politely suggest he be more observent in the future. if he offers a little back, great, but I'm willing to bet that with a decent scan, you could always sell it on ebay for what you paid, hell, I'll give you $37 for it right now.