• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,907 posts in this topic

If you only have 5 of them, that's an outstanding set to have. They are all at or near the top of my list of favorites of his from the 50s. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's my newest LB Cole cover.... Spook (Detective Cases) #22 with a terrific headless horseman cover. I bought this particular issue for a song and am really thrilled with it. Very solid and glossy copy... at least a VG+, possibly a Fine-., which is not bad for a Star book. The pages are especially nice, and anyone who collects Star books knows that Off-White pages are tough to find for some reason.

793713-Spook22.jpg

793713-Spook22.jpg.afefc5b824f2ec57c93b18c6fc5dc40e.jpg

Edited by paull

Nice! - One of the great things about seeing these scans is finding detail that one had missed when thumbing through the Gerber - like that guy hanging in the background!

Good point... I have enjoyed seeing scans here on the Boards because the Gerber shots are so small. And it's easy to overlook books because of some stellar covers in the same run. Nothing beats going to a show and seeing books up close.

Nice! - One of the great things about seeing these scans is finding detail that one had missed when thumbing through the Gerber - like that guy hanging in the background!

Or the blood showing where the neck was cut off on the headless horseman.

Hotlinking is not a good thing. Ahhh....

"If you are seeing this page, you've tried to access Comic Book Bondage Cover of the Day's cover archive incorrectly.

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble with people hotlinking to my archived covers in related (and unrelated) forums. The result is that every time someone views one of those forums, a copy of the linked cover has to be provided by my server, consuming a chunk of my monthly bandwidth allowance. It has gotten to the point that hotlinks are using about half of my bandwidth. I don't like having my archives shut down for several days at the end of each month because I am out of bandwidth."

I showed a friend my copy of Mask Comics #1 the other day and was surprised at how bright the colors were.... I was so used to seeing my lame digital photo (pre-scanner) in the initial post in this thread. I thought I'd post a scan here to give you a real representation of the bright colors on the cover...

801743-MaskComics1.jpg

801743-MaskComics1.jpg.84deaa516b9901cf047c710dda957345.jpg

Edited by paull

I used to think the cover to Mask #1 was overrated - interesting, but not worthy of the status it is often accorded, but the more I see it, the more I like it - it is just too surreal to to ignore - damn you for posting it - I'm trying to shorten my want list, not expand it!

There's no bigger fan of that cover than I am (and I was salivating over Jon's Cole recreation of it), but I have to admit that a lot of Cole's "poster color" covers (Mask 1 and 2, Contact 12, Capt. Flight 11, etc.) need to be seen in person to get a full appreciation. Bright, flat copies look truly amazing.... and the colors are a big part of it. Cole used a lot of flat color without shading (a good example is Contact 12), and some people may consider them to be somewhat plain. However, I think that the simplicity is what makes it so eye-catching. When I pulled that Mask 1 out of the box, I imagined what it would look like on a newsstand. Put that up against other run-of-the-mill Fawcetts and DCs of the time period (1945) and tell me which one gets your attention! smile.gif

I'm a real cover hound (as evident by my pre-code horror collecting habits and love of Jim Steranko's 60's Marvel covers) and this cover is possibly my all-time favorite. Even if I had to sell off big chunks of my (small) collection, I don't think I would ever part with this one.

Edited by paull

Nice...I'm sad that I haven't acquired anything new to add to this thread, but I'll see if I have something in the boxes that hasn't been posted yet!

paull - I agree with you that Cole's 1940s poster covers are among the highlights of the GA - and that density of color is key to appreciating an individual copy - Contact #12 is my all -time favorite GA cover, and I have an enlargement of it framed and hanging on my dining room wall - the only comic related image I have displayed. Like you, I would part with alot of other books before selling my Cole covers.

I support the idea that Steranko's Marvel covers are the SA equivelent of Cole's GA covers

Being primarily a Silver, Bronze, and EC collector, this is my very first Cole cover, acquired at this weekends' Wizard Philly show. The amazing composition really struck me. Thanks to all on this thread, for exposing me to this master:

Terrors10.jpg

This isn't my book for sale on eBay, but I noticed it and think that someone may walk away with a steal. It's a Suspense Comics #8 in poor condition (tape on spine) with a minimum bid of $99, no reserve. Based on how tough this book is to find, this isn't a bad deal at all, and the cover image is in good shape. What do you guys think? I have a copy, but if I didn't, I'd consider pulling the trigger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Edited by paull