• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2021 at 2:13 PM, manetteska said:

Now the dust has settled on Blissard's Cole auctions, how did it go?

What sold too high? What sold too low? Did anyone here win?

I got nothin'. Threw in a halfhearted bid on the Terrifying Tales #13 but was concerned that the spine seemed fragile.

Of the dozen or so I was watching I don't see any huge surprises.

I think this was a great representation of Cole's categories in the low-mid range and a nice marker for FMV.

There were funny animals, romance, crime, western, some sci-fi and horror.

Link

Without looking at all of the notes, just going by price + title grade, the surprises for me would be:

Terrifying Tales #15 - $455 GD

Jungle Thrills #16 - $494 GD+

(both higher than Terrors #17 [girl on the stake issue])

Terrors of the Jungle #20 (octopus) - $665 VG+ has really jumped up recently

Overall, looking at the numbers now, I am surprised at how high some of the jungle titles ended.

I did win one book and came in under my max bid, so I guess that was a surprise on the low side. ;)

On 9/20/2021 at 2:56 PM, manetteska said:

I think this was a great representation of Cole's categories in the low-mid range and a nice marker for FMV.

There were funny animals, romance, crime, western, some sci-fi and horror.

Link

Without looking at all of the notes, just going by price + title grade, the surprises for me would be:

Terrifying Tales #15 - $455 GD

Jungle Thrills #16 - $494 GD+

(both higher than Terrors #17 [girl on the stake issue])

Terrors of the Jungle #20 (octopus) - $665 VG+ has really jumped up recently

Overall, looking at the numbers now, I am surprised at how high some of the jungle titles ended.

I did win one book and came in under my max bid, so I guess that was a surprise on the low side. ;)

You’re right! The jungles did go much higher than average. I do think having that many books auctioning in one go creates the conditions for a feeding frenzy. It was cool to see them all together.

On 9/20/2021 at 2:46 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I didn’t see the Blissard books, nor have I snagged any LB Coles out of the Promise Collection. But I found this in the last Heritage auction. I think it got lost in all the Promise Collection hysteria, so I got it for a decent price. (It’s funny when we get to the point that we feel like we’ve gotten a steal at 9 x Guide!)

52E4BBA6-8CE4-46F3-A66A-06D62C55E521.jpeg

Great pick up. I was watching, but happy with my 6.0. 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:27 PM, Point Five said:

And by chance, I had the foresight/luck/what-have-you to buy this copy at a convention in the late 90s. (Luckily the dealer didn't also have a low-grade copy for a few bucks less...)

I've always loved this cover.

terrorsofthejungle20.jpg.6fab2f98331ea5304356b185aacc3677.jpg

Nice copy! And I like the gal's leg tat!

On 10/6/2021 at 10:46 PM, Point Five said:

Was tempted by the Terrifying Tales #12 in Andy's sales thread... then realized I already had one! Such a weird dizzying cover, chock full of figures and beasties and funky patterns.

terrifyingtales12.jpg.6f36c4b9f763ed2d20604cb30b4f9539.jpg

One of the best covers in the run imho. Congrats!