• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

Am I the only one that doesn't like most of Cole's Star Publications covers or anything he did past the late 40s? There are some amazing ones, but I just think most of his Star covers are dull and uninspired. I am sure the reason is that he was concentrating more on the business side of it since he started Star Publications and ran it himself so he didn't have time to spend like he used to. He was pretty famous for spending a long time drawing anything, which is why he almost never did anything but covers. You can just tell most of his Star covers were hacked out fast with little care.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:50 PM, catman76 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like most of Cole's Star Publications covers or anything he did past the late 40s? There are some amazing ones, but I just think most of his Star covers are dull and uninspired. I am sure the reason is that he was concentrating more on the business side of it since he started Star Publications and ran it himself so he didn't have time to spend like he used to. He was pretty famous for spending a long time drawing anything, which is why he almost never did anything but covers. You can just tell most of his Star covers were hacked out fast with little care.

That's an interesting take for sure. Maaaaybe I can agree that "on average" LB Cole's 1940s covers have a bit more polish than his 1950s covers. But the '50s covers are rich with imagery and color, and in some cases so dense with detail and pattern that they even feel a bit cramped. (Even his funny animal covers are that way!) They're the furthest thing from "hacked out" I can imagine.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, catman76 said:

I tend to think that the Continental Coles were much more crudely drawn than the Star Coles, but that's just me. A good point of reference for my opinion would be my favorite 40's Cole cover (Suspense 8) vs. my favorite 50's Cole cover (Blue Bolt 105). The Star is much more detailed and complex. Just my opinion. I tend to agree that there are many average Cole covers, but I don't think it's because o decade and publisher.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:59 AM, Inaflash said:

I’m a big fan of his Star covers. What draws me to them is that so many of them look like they could be just as easily used for a movie poster.

7AA53799-AAA6-4DB4-8F62-68D25BC0F5B2.jpeg

...especially in that condition. Wow!

On 10/25/2021 at 4:26 PM, manetteska said:

My bid was blown out of the water on this Startling Terror Tales #5.

Yikes.

Yikes indeed. Wonder if a boardie won it? The structure is lovely for sure, though that printing glitch in the green (or fade or whatever it is) would bug me for $3K+.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, Point Five said:
On 10/25/2021 at 3:26 PM, manetteska said:

My bid was blown out of the water on this Startling Terror Tales #5.

Yikes.

Yikes indeed. Wonder if a boardie won it? The structure is lovely for sure, though that printing glitch in the green (or fade or whatever it is) would bug me for $3K+

lol I was looking at other stuff and completely missed the different colors.

I noticed and asked (although quite late in the game) about the black "dot" on the 5th picture -- inside back cover. That hindered my bidding cap, but even if that wasn't there I was never going near $3k.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, manetteska said:

lol I was looking at other stuff and completely missed the different colors.

I noticed and asked (although quite late in the game) about the black "dot" on the 5th picture -- inside back cover. That hindered my bidding cap, but even if that wasn't there I was never going near $3k.

Huh, good eye. I'm not sure what that is. It looks like c/t but it's on the back cover, not the front, which is odd. Ah well!