• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2021 at 2:02 AM, waaaghboss said:

Blissard just posted a good 50 mid grade cole books on ebay, if anyone's in the market.  I put tracking bids on a few dozen and expect to win none :)

Yeah, I was looking at those! The timing's not great as I'm a bit MLJ'd/Baker'd out, but very cool to see so many together.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:02 PM, waaaghboss said:

Blissard just posted a good 50 mid grade cole books on ebay, if anyone's in the market.  I put tracking bids on a few dozen and expect to win none :)

Saw those. Nice books! I would agree with you about getting any. But, I figured I’m saving so much dough passing on the Promise books. I plan to take a serious shot at a couple I’ve been after. 

I came across something really tempting recently.  Being a collector of all things SOTI, I was excited to see the a  UK comic with the cover of Killers #1 show up online. 

It's FBI Comics #1 from Streamline.  The interior contains content from Murder Inc. #1 and 7.

FBI_Comics.JPG.0e6ac17aff30ab5e97d4b9ca5e024034.JPG

It's certainly a scarce book.  I don't see it on the census or GCD. I collect things related to SOTI, so I almost jumped on it...

And then I took a closer look.  Wait. That's not Cole.  Here's the original.  The UK version looks to be completely (and poorly) redrawn.  Perhaps they redrew it to better fit different dimensions from the US version?

If it were a better recreation of Cole's work, I'd still be tempted to grab it.  Perhaps one of the Cole completists here will want to pick it up.  In any event, I figured the Cole lovers on this thread would appreciate it.

Killers.JPG.84fc687f8b696d33a3f815bb0527f9ae.JPG

On 9/13/2021 at 11:30 AM, manetteska said:

So many books!

Everyone be sure to read the descriptions and consult the scans.

Always do that no matter who the seller is. So many people just see the picture and hit the button. Often, bad for both buyer and seller. 

I find Adam’s grades and services spot on. 

On 9/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, Robot Man said:
On 9/13/2021 at 1:30 PM, manetteska said:

So many books!

Everyone be sure to read the descriptions and consult the scans.

Always do that no matter who the seller is. So many people just see the picture and hit the button. Often, bad for both buyer and seller. 

Yes, always read everything and look many times at the scans.

I generally agree with blissard's grades; a Cole I bought from him quite a while back was at least a couple grades higher than advertised. I'm just saying, due to his reputation, don't bid based on the grade in the title itself.

A few descriptions note tape, missing pages, etc which are not in the title. I've also seen scans with rust not mentioned in the description. Due diligence and everyone will be happier.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, Robot Man said:

Yeh, can't say enough about Adam.  The only one, and it might be literally true, who not just has a refund policy no questions asked, but will cover the shipping back to him.  That is simply extraordinary.

On the online retail comic end, it's fascinating that the best single proprietorship and corporate comic sales operations, Adam Anderson and Conan Saunders, are next generation comic royalty.  On the convention/private sale side we have Austin and Alex Reece, and to a lesser extent Mikey Halperin and John Verzyl Jr.  

We always talk about where are the next generation collectors coming from, but rarely acknowledge the necessity of torch passing from within our own ranks on the sale side.

Edited by Dr. Love

On 9/16/2021 at 3:41 PM, Dr. Love said:

Yeh, can't say enough about Adam.  The only one, and it might be literally true, who not just has a refund policy no questions asked, but will cover the shipping back to him.  That is simply extraordinary.

On the online retail comic end, it's fascinating that the best single proprietorship and corporate comic sales operations, Adam Anderson and Conan Saunders, are next generation comic royalty.  On the convention/private sale side we have Austin and Alex Reece, and to a lesser extent Mikey Halperin and John Verzyl Jr.  

We always talk about where are the next generation collectors coming from, but rarely acknowledge the necessity of torch passing from within our own ranks on the sale side.

You might also add Tyler Alexander to the list of those picking up the torch from their father. 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:09 PM, Robot Man said:

You might also add Tyler Alexander to the list of those picking up the torch from their father. 

The last three purchases from him have not been good for me, each for a different reason, so I can't recommend DTA Collectables.