• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2023 at 11:17 PM, Point Five said:

Finally landed a copy of this book... this is an odd one for sure. Honestly, if I were starting a kids' humor magazine in the 1950s I don't think Jay Disbrow is the first guy I'd call. But an LB Cole cover showing a chunky guy in a fez chasing a bare-breasted mermaid? Why the hell not? Sign me up.

unsane15.thumb.jpg.a189f76dc96158ec8227dc951e8b56bf.jpg

Congrats. I have 2 copies myself, both in about the same grade. It's a tough one to track down. Enjoy!

On 6/13/2023 at 8:08 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Love Romance Series Digests #1, 2 & 3. It took years but I finally assembled a set I never thought I'd complete. I had two of them stored away but they're free now in the library :cloud9:

20230613_194152.thumb.jpg.db7876fc9d377de45e19e94692e3ca87.jpg

I've got 2 out of 3 of these.  Great looking set you have there!  

On 6/10/2023 at 8:17 PM, Point Five said:

Finally landed a copy of this book... this is an odd one for sure. Honestly, if I were starting a kids' humor magazine in the 1950s I don't think Jay Disbrow is the first guy I'd call. But an LB Cole cover showing a chunky guy in a fez chasing a bare-breasted mermaid? Why the hell not? Sign me up.

unsane15.thumb.jpg.a189f76dc96158ec8227dc951e8b56bf.jpg

I collect MAD and MAD immitator comics. I think I have all of them except for any issues of Unsane. I don't know why. Maybe anytime I ran into it I didn't want to pay up. Maybe the only thing cool about it is the LB Cole cover. Not sure, but really ought to finish off my runs of the imitator books...

On 6/14/2023 at 8:43 PM, Robot Man said:

I collect MAD and MAD immitator comics. I think I have all of them except for any issues of Unsane. I don't know why. Maybe anytime I ran into it I didn't want to pay up. Maybe the only thing cool about it is the LB Cole cover. Not sure, but really ought to finish off my runs of the imitator books...

Well, its the only issue.  GET ON THAT!  ;) 

On 6/14/2023 at 7:43 PM, Robot Man said:

Not to shoehorn in, but I just got a second copy in.

Unfortunately the cover is detached, if that matters.

I just grabbed this little book tonight. Heritage describes it as such:

KrazyLife #1 (Fox, 1945) CGC VF- 7.5 Cream to off-white pages. Funny animal stories. L. B. Cole-esque cover. Only issue of the title. Overstreet 2022 VF 8.0 value = $170. CGC census 5/23: 1 in 7.5, 4 higher.

Black Light the World of L.B. Cole says it's his cover. I think it is. What do yo all think (or know)? 

1945 Krazy Life 1.jpg

Edited by Professor K
grammar correction

On 6/18/2023 at 8:40 PM, Professor K said:

I just grabbed this little book tonight. Heritage describes it as such:

KrazyLife #1 (Fox, 1945) CGC VF- 7.5 Cream to off-white pages. Funny animal stories. L. B. Cole-esque cover. Only issue of the title. Overstreet 2022 VF 8.0 value = $170. CGC census 5/23: 1 in 7.5, 4 higher.

Black Light the World of L.B. Cole says it's his cover. I think it is. What do yo all think (or know)? 

1945 Krazy Life 1.jpg

Colors are right for Cole

If I'm honest, I don't see anything that's super-distinctively LB Cole in that cover. The kids' faces definitely don't look like his. There's a looseness and sloppiness to the rabbit and wolf that feel off for Cole. The lines and forms don't seem to have the crispness of his inks... compared to e.g. the Taffy #1 cover from the same year. Inking over someone else's pencils and in an extreme rush to make a deadline? I guess it's conceivable.  (shrug) 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, Point Five said:

If I'm honest, I don't see anything that's super-distinctively LB Cole in that cover. The kids' faces definitely don't look like his. There's a looseness and sloppiness to the rabbit and wolf that feel off for Cole. The lines and forms don't seem to have the crispness of his inks... compared to e.g. the Taffy #1 cover from the same year. Inking over someone else's pencils and in an extreme rush to make a deadline? I guess it's conceivable.  (shrug) 

Buzzkill.