• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 2:13 AM, Black Bat said:

I gotta go Catman here. Nice skull. The magician guy is super cool on the Power. But I just can’t look past the buck tooth china man.  Those old timey racial characters are impossible to ignore.  

Let's put it this way... our household would have a reason to be sensitive to these portrayals, and I still think Power 3 is the better cover!

I don't like the cluttered composition of Catman 28.  Strange to have Kitten facing away from the viewer and blending into the chair that is the same color.  I never understood what was behind the skull, a treasure chest?  Eliminating that and the chair would have made this cover better.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, *paull* said:

I just want to mention that if any serious fans of L.B. Cole here do not have the book BLACK LIGHT: THE WORLD OF L.B. COLE by Bill Schelly, you have to get it.  The printing quality of this book is spectacular.  It's a wealth of information about Cole and his career.

9781606997628__98527.jpg

Great plug!  I have 2 copies.  Got one for helping contribute!  :headbang:

I think the Power #3 and the Catman #28 are vastly different covers.  A lot of the value around the Catman seems to have been because it was considered sooooooo scarce for such a long time (and it's pretty cool!).  With Cole books now getting the $ that they are, a lot seem to have come out of the woodwork.  I was one of the last who vastly overpaid for my CM #28 before there were 2-3 copies up for grabs at a time.  doh!  However I was able to got a sweet Power #3 in 5.5 for a steal compared to what it would go for today, so you win some / lose some.  

On 5/4/2023 at 4:13 PM, pmpknface said:

Great plug!  I have 2 copies.  Got one for helping contribute!  :headbang:

I think the Power #3 and the Catman #28 are vastly different covers.  A lot of the value around the Catman seems to have been because it was considered sooooooo scarce for such a long time (and it's pretty cool!).  With Cole books now getting the $ that they are, a lot seem to have come out of the woodwork.  I was one of the last who vastly overpaid for my CM #28 before there were 2-3 copies up for grabs at a time.  doh!  However I was able to got a sweet Power #3 in 5.5 for a steal compared to what it would go for today, so you win some / lose some.  

I also received a copy as a contributor.  It's a fantastic book!   Fans need to grab it before the prices get insane.

I agree that Catman 28 seemed to be scarcer around 10-15 years ago, but you're right, more copies have surfaced.  I really like both covers, and I'm not knocking the Catman 28... having wanted one for a long time after first seeing it in Gerber and the CBG auctions of the 90s (I have to make a thread about those).  I just prefer the Power 3.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:13 AM, Black Bat said:

I gotta go Catman here. Nice skull. The magician guy is super cool on the Power. But I just can’t look past the buck tooth china man.  Those old timey racial characters are impossible to ignore.  

On 5/4/2023 at 6:57 AM, Professor K said:

You mean Chin Chop? I was going to say that, he is a distraction. Also Black Bat, China Man is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian American please :roflmao:

On 5/4/2023 at 7:12 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

4A6BE337-8A2A-49FA-BA08-1E68D97E84DF.jpeg

(thumbsu

On 5/4/2023 at 10:46 AM, *paull* said:

Let's put it this way... our household would have a reason to be sensitive to these portrayals, and I still think Power 3 is the better cover!

I don't like the cluttered composition of Catman 28.  Strange to have Kitten facing away from the viewer and blending into the chair that is the same color.  I never understood what was behind the skull, a treasure chest?  Eliminating that and the chair would have made this cover better.

Good critique of Cat 28. I have no problem with the stereotypical portrayals in pretty much any media of that time. The way I see it they made most everyone look extreme back then. Lots of wacky stuff going on back then.  Chin Chop (I believe that's the name of the character) just doesn't fit well artistically with the rest of the cover. Stands out like a buck toothed sore thumb. I still like the cover just a little better than Catman. I'm just glad he wasn't one of the floaters on Mask 2.

Edited by Professor K
grammar correction

On 5/5/2023 at 8:41 AM, Professor K said:

(thumbsu

Good critique of Cat 28. I have no problem with the stereotypical portrayals in pretty much any media of that time. The way I see it they made most everyone look extreme back then. Lots of wacky stuff going on back then.  Chin Chop (I believe that's the name of the character) just doesn't fit well artistically with the rest of the cover. Stands out like a buck toothed sore thumb. I still like the cover just a little better than Catman. I'm just glad he wasn't one of the floaters on Mask 2.

I agree with you... the cover would have been better off not having the cartoony Chin Chop.  He does drag it down.

"buck toothed sore thumb"  LOL!!

Edited by *paull*

On 6/6/2023 at 11:19 AM, pmpknface said:

I am, and I’m truly surprised. It hammered at Heritage for the insane amount of $132k, and I was no way it’ll get anywhere near that this go around. But it’s at $92k now and there will be a flurry in the extended bidding, so it’s a head scratcher.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost