• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2023 at 12:51 AM, BoomCity said:

My favourite lb cole cover. Have always liked his sci fi covers most. Have another classic cover en route to me too. 

DC2590B4-91BC-4C3E-83FF-1C014FD735D3.jpeg

My favorite and his best! This would be my cover to Wells’ “Things to Come.”

On 4/11/2023 at 12:51 AM, BoomCity said:

My favourite lb cole cover. Have always liked his sci fi covers most. Have another classic cover en route to me too. 

DC2590B4-91BC-4C3E-83FF-1C014FD735D3.jpeg

Has that old time Buck Rogers feel to it and one of my favs also(thumbsu

On 4/15/2023 at 8:04 PM, Microbia said:

Recent CLink win and first time owning this issue. 

If there's a better double-baboon cover in comics, I have yet to see it!  :sumo:

On 5/3/2023 at 2:39 PM, Professor K said:

Let me check the couch cushions....  

Man, that is a huge price.  I realize this is a relatively high grade, but a copy sold in 6.0 on HA in 2021 for 10K.

When I was actively seeking out Cole books, this was one that I wanted, but I never crossed paths with one for the right price.  Maybe I just didn't want it as badly as some of the other covers... in particular his black covers with what he termed "poster colors".  I just don't think the Catman covers are his top covers.  I'm really surprised by that Comiclink price.

A book with a similar composition, but in my opinion, a better cover, is Power Comics 3.  This book matches nicely with Captain Flight 11, Contact 12, and Mask 1 and 2.  Give me this any day over Catman 28.

IMG_6036.jpg

Edited by *paull*

That same copy has been listed on Clink for a while now with an ask of $54k... and that original listing is still up. There are now 3 copies up for sale: the 7.5, a 5.0, and a 2.5.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:12 PM, *paull* said:

Man, that is a huge price.  I realize this is a relatively high grade, but a copy sold in 6.0 on HA in 2021 for 10K.

When I was actively seeking out Cole books, this was one that I wanted, but I never crossed paths with one for the right price.  Maybe I just didn't want it as badly as some of the other covers... in particular his black covers with what he termed "poster colors".  I just don't think the Catman covers are his top covers.  I'm really surprised by that Comiclink price.

A book with a similar composition, but in my opinion, a better cover, is Power Comics 3.  This book matches nicely with Captain Flight 11, Contact 12, and Mask 1 and 2.  Give me this any day over Catman 28.

IMG_6036.jpg

Yeah I've pondered that age old question many a'time. What's better, Power 3 or Catman 28? Power is the most similar cover to Mask 2 so there's that, and it came out before. The colors on Power seem to tend to be more vivid than Catman at least in low to mid grades. Dr Mempisto looks a little cooler on Power and I believe it's his 1st appearance. 

Catman has a Skull with a candle. Tough call. 

On 5/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, thewritestuff said:

That same copy has been listed on Clink for a while now with an ask of $54k... and that original listing is still up. There are now 3 copies up for sale: the 7.5, a 5.0, and a 2.5.

I'm seeing 37,500. Who knows what they'll take. On Clink you can offer any amount as we all know. I mostly just posted it because it's a real nice copy. I hadn't seen it before buried back in the exchange. I wish they'd divide it into different era's. Or have a pre 1960 filter or something. So much new stuff to sift through. 

On 5/3/2023 at 7:16 PM, Ryan. said:

RE-PRCD_W1_Ben-Woodruff_card_2048-comp.jpg

Oh-My-Groin. Is that real? 

Edit: Holy cow it is.

https://toynewsi.com/345-47336

Harvey-Horrors-01__scaled_800.jpg

Edited by Professor K

On 5/3/2023 at 11:04 PM, Professor K said:

Yeah I've pondered that age old question many a'time. What's better, Power 3 or Catman 28? Power is the most similar cover to Mask 2 so there's that, and it came out before. The colors on Power seem to tend to be more vivid than Catman at least in low to mid grades. Dr Mempisto looks a little cooler on Power and I believe it's his 1st appearance. 

That's similar to my take.  Like you, I prefer the face on Power over the one on Catman.  The Catman cover isn't as readable. It's kind of a cluttered composition.The candle's great... similar to Mask 1, but the color palette and inking style on Power 3 looks more like Mask 1 and 2, Contact 12, and Captain Flight 11.   Power 3 just pops out at you... and nothing beats Cole's black covers.

On 5/3/2023 at 1:12 PM, *paull* said:

IMG_6036.jpg

I gotta go Catman here. Nice skull. The magician guy is super cool on the Power. But I just can’t look past the buck tooth china man.  Those old timey racial characters are impossible to ignore.  

On 5/3/2023 at 8:04 PM, Professor K said:

I'm seeing 37,500. Who knows what they'll take. On Clink you can offer any amount as we all know. I mostly just posted it because it's a real nice copy. I hadn't seen it before buried back in the exchange. I wish they'd divide it into different era's. Or have a pre 1960 filter or something. So much new stuff to sift through. 

Oh-My-Groin. Is that real? 

Edit: Holy cow it is.

https://toynewsi.com/345-47336

Harvey-Horrors-01__scaled_800.jpg

I ordered a set- might have to get another to open and play with…

On 5/4/2023 at 2:13 AM, Black Bat said:

I gotta go Catman here. Nice skull. The magician guy is super cool on the Power. But I just can’t look past the buck tooth china man.  Those old timey racial characters are impossible to ignore.  

You mean Chin Chop? I was going to say that, he is a distraction. Also Black Bat, China Man is not the preferred nomenclature, Asian American please :roflmao: