• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

Thanks man! I just got home and counted all my LB Cole covers. I'm up to 158 covers (after that one arrives) and then I have 6 more cover proofs! Then you can add is a few others like the Overstreet cover and the CB Marketplace issue as well. There are also 1-2 I have that "may" be his but I'm not sure to count them.

I can see myself hitting 200 if I can fill the gaps in my runs too.

:applause:

I nominate pmpknface to draft the initial LB Cole checklist, just go through your boxes and list 'em...we'll take it from there!

What are the books that may be Cole covers?

I guess I have to post my Suspense 8. Finally worked out a deal for it.

Suspense8.jpg

Sweetness...probably my favorite Cole cover and the one that jumped right out at me from the group pics you've been posting of the find. (worship)

drbanner - that Suspense #8 is stellar! Congrats!!!

I grabbed this one off of ebay last night for a decent deal:

$(KGrHqJHJE8E-vUdME76BPyV855-Q!~~60_57.JPG

I think the covers that "might" be his were Real Love #24, and maybe another from that run. I'll check when I get home tomorrow.

I'll see what I can do about compiling a list. I'm trying to run a report out of my ComicBase database that has all of LB's covers. He's listed as an official artist, but it only pulls up a fraction of where it's got him listed. So I'm running an advanced search now. When in doubt when I'm "working" from home on Friday I'll just come up with a quick list of issues in Excel.

Apparently that dude in white troubled the heroes of TARGET COMICS a few times. This is LB Cole's 1st TARGET cover, vol. 8 #10 (it's the mycomicshop.com copy):

8121991_1.jpg

And just for the hell of it, take a look at the cover to the prior issue! Dude is flying! And this horse isn't gonna land too pretty either! At least someone's getting punched for it...

8121971_1.jpg

Just got my TARGET book in yesterday, so I switched my Contact Comics display up for a smaller one:

2012-06-11+18.17.43.jpg

Oh, and I know these aren't LB Cole covers, but this is what I was referring to. I knew I had a few of these books but I forgot the importance - they aren't LB covers but he did some INTERIOR work here!

ALL LOVE #24

2012-06-11+19.48.05.jpg

REAL LOVE #24:

2012-06-11+19.48.15.jpg

I forget if I've posted by Target v.9 #12 here before, but this is a decent shot of it, so why not:

2012-06-11+18.18.26.jpg

No rest for the wicked here! Here's a few romance covers that don't come up all that often.

TOP LOVE STORIES #5 - I totally love the colors on this cover. As if the "captain's" shirt wasn't enough you've got the green water on the purple pool! And what's going on here? People in the pool and in suits? This copy is a tad worn, but I'll take it now and upgrade later if given the chance.

$(KGrHqVHJBsE-+rvofziBP0Unqvetw~~60_57.JPG

I've got 1 more to follow.... :popcorn:

No rest for the wicked here! Here's a few romance covers that don't come up all that often.

TOP LOVE STORIES #5 - I totally love the colors on this cover. As if the "captain's" shirt wasn't enough you've got the green water on the purple pool! And what's going on here? People in the pool and in suits? This copy is a tad worn, but I'll take it now and upgrade later if given the chance.

Great cover, never seen it before. (thumbs u A lot of work for the colorist on this one!

Great cover, never seen it before. (thumbs u A lot of work for the colorist on this one!

Er..um...what's that guy in the water doing? I dont think I would want to go swimming until they clean out the pool...

Probably the best LB Cole pre-code horror :headbang:

Startling terror 11 Classic LB Cole

startling11.jpg

LB Cole handled the color design for his Star covers (and most of his earlier ones)

LB Cole handled the color design for his Star covers (and most of his earlier ones)

Well, he was an art director for a while, right? Oh, and I haven't forgotten about compiling a list either. Just been a tad busy. I hope to start of that sometime soon.

Well, he was an art director for a while, right? Oh, and I haven't forgotten about compiling a list either. Just been a tad busy. I hope to start of that sometime soon.

He was the owner of Star and his agreement with Continental included control of the cover/color design.