• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,908 posts in this topic

I agree that the covers only titles shouldn't be on the main list, but they are still very collectible.

The Weird Jungle Tales cover sold for around $350 on Heritage several years ago and I would be willing to pay substantially more for it today.

Till now i bet very few Cole fans knew of this killer cover! Wish my copy was much nicer..but at least i have one!

Is that really a Cole cover? IMO the faces and linework look quite different from his style.

Till now i bet very few Cole fans knew of this killer cover! Wish my copy was much nicer..but at least i have one!

Is that really a Cole cover? IMO the faces and linework look quite different from his style.

The eyes certainly do. This is Cole's 2pg spread from the issue prior:

588646825_o.jpg

Perhaps we should include his Paperback covers as well? Here's one..

594484604_o.jpg

I would stick with comics for an initial goal. I have heard/read that the total including all types of publications is around 1500.

Thanks for posting the splash (thumbs u

I'm not sure if the Super-Mystery is a Cole cover either, but it reminded me of another Ace comic not on the list.

Four Favorites 13 Feb. 1944 possibly his 1st cover?

I've never seen that one before - does anyone have confirmation on this that it's his?

2055408000102488065S600x600Q85.jpg

If this is his, it's in the running as #2 of the earliest published cover by the dates I have. If it's not, I have these as the oldest in order by publication date:

1) Super Mystery #19 1/1944

2) Terrific Comics #3 5/1944

3) Power Comics #1 6/1944

3) Suspense Comics #4 6/1944

4) Contact Comics #1 7/1944

5) Power Comics #3 8/1944

6) Suspense Comics #5 9/1944

6) Catman Comics #25 9/1944

6) Contact Comics #2 9/1944

6) Power Comics #4 9/1944

Edited by pmpknface

The eyes certainly do. This is Cole's 2pg spread from the issue prior:

588646825_o.jpg

Exactly. Look at the rendering of the splash. Though it has detail, the rendering of the figures is less 'busy' than the Super-Mystery figures, and the heavy blacks on the figures add to the sense of weight. Less outlines, more contrast and more care was taken with the composition.

I don't see either of these covers (Super-Mystery or Four Favorites) as being Cole's.

His signature is on the lower right corner below the shadow. .

I can't find his signature anywhere on the Super-Mystery cover.

You got it! ADDED!!! I found a bigger scan and updated my post above for all to see. His sig looks a bit different, so even if it was published 2nd, it's possible it was drawn earlier.

So here's the publication listing:

1) Super Mystery #19 1/1944

2) Four Favorites #13 2/1944

3) Terrific Comics #3 5/1944

4) Power Comics #1 6/1944

5) Suspense Comics #4 6/1944

5) Contact Comics #1 7/1944

6) Power Comics #3 8/1944

7) Suspense Comics #5 9/1944

7) Catman Comics #25 9/1944

7) Contact Comics #2 9/1944

7) Power Comics #4 9/1944

Bart - do you have any info on the Super Mystery???

His signature is on the lower right corner below the shadow. .

Well, shows you what I know. Four Favorites #13 it is then! :D

I can't get past how different it looks from his other stuff though, regardless of what Gerber says. The faces look nothing like Cole's, and the composition is awkward. Even the signature looks wonky. Maybe a different artist penciled it and Cole inked it? (shrug)