• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,910 posts in this topic

His signature is on the lower right corner below the shadow. .

Well, shows you what I know. Four Favorites #13 it is then! :D

I can't get past how different it looks from his other stuff though, regardless of what Gerber says. The faces look nothing like Cole's, and the composition is awkward. Even the signature looks wonky. Maybe a different artist penciled it and Cole inked it? (shrug)

That's a decent guess. But I'll count it!

excelsior1986 - Thanks for the info. I'll remove the Super Mystery, but add in the notes to my DB on his interior work. That will come in handy! :grin:

And, UPDATE:

1) Four Favorites #13 2/1944

2) Terrific Comics #3 5/1944

3) Power Comics #1 6/1944

3) Suspense Comics #4 6/1944

4) Contact Comics #1 7/1944

5) Power Comics #3 8/1944

6) Suspense Comics #5 9/1944

6) Catman Comics #25 9/1944

6) Contact Comics #2 9/1944

6) Power Comics #4 9/1944

Edited by pmpknface

His signature is on the lower right corner below the shadow. .

Well, shows you what I know. Four Favorites #13 it is then! :D

I can't get past how different it looks from his other stuff though, regardless of what Gerber says. The faces look nothing like Cole's, and the composition is awkward. Even the signature looks wonky. Maybe a different artist penciled it and Cole inked it? (shrug)

Thats what i was thinking too. Ferstadt is listed as cover artst for issues 11-17 except 13. It looks exactly like Ferstadt's work though. Here's issue 14, the faces look exactly the same along with everything else.

4f.jpg

I will admit I know very little about Fernstadt's work since i have so few ACE titles.

Can we get some scans of his interior work? Why would that cover of Four Favorites signed by Cole him not be him? And it is so similar in style as the Super Mystery 19. Being perhaps his first work he may have had assists from Lou F ??

Is that the original? Do you know when that was drawn?

Here's another i don't think was listed....

594484618_o.jpg

Another book missing from the list is Jeep 3

Jeep2.jpg

Perhaps we should include his Paperback covers as well? Here's one..

594484604_o.jpg

Bart,

I was wondering, is that cover credited to Cole anywhere? I know he did a bunch of paperback covers but the ones I've see have his sig. Just curious as to how you dug that one up. Thanks!

Here's a few more to add to the list.

Indian Warriors 3D 1

JungleThrills 3D 1

Super Animals 3D 1

Western Fighers 3D 1

Picture Scope Jungle Adventures 7

All from Star Pubs.

I totally forgot about all those 3D books he did. :doh:

Edited by excelsior1986

Here's a few more to add to the list.

Indian Warriors 3D 1

JungleThrills 3D 1

Super Animals 3D 1

Western Fighers 3D 1

Picture Scope Jungle Adventures 7

All from Star Pubs.

Yep, this will have to be added as well. I've looked for these in my DB a bunch of times but haven't seen them. There's 5 more ADDS!!!!! ;) I'll try to see if I can do another manual count today, as I won't have access to a PC all weekend.

Studying the cover with a magnify glass reveals the white letters FW on the tree near the spine... so maybe not drawn by Cole ,, i believe i got the info from David Alexander years ago.

I was also recalling that Cole worked on several of the Hamilton Comics Tracy covers besides the DT Adventures that is pictured earlier but i'm not sure if my memory is correct and i cant find my issues to see if he's credited. I know he did that Dread of Night cover.. and others? .

Thanks! I just noticed that FUN COMICS# 12 was missing. 1 more ADDITION!!!

And with this I think I'm up to 411 covers. I'll try to run another report with all my recent edits soon. Thanks again for all the help!

Edited by pmpknface

After looking at the interior stories in Super Mystery 19, TWO stories are co-signed Fenstadt and Cole! and the cover to Super Mystery 17 is signed Fernstadt & Co.

Besides the Four Favorites #13 which is signed by Cole; I think the covers to SM 19 and Four Favorites 12 and 14 have design elements that Cole used later on.

So I think they both worked on these covers..

[ 594809474_o.jpg

594809489_o.jpg

594809515_o.jpg

594809652_o.jpg