• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Now may be a good time to celebrate.

BOX OFFICE: ANT-MAN Has Third Biggest Marvel Opening Of All-Time In China

Following the news yesterday that Ant-Man opened 60% bigger in China during midnight screenings than Guardians of the Galaxy did last year, it has now been confirmed that the final Phase 2 movie had Marvel's third biggest opening day of all-time in the country. In fact, its only been beaten by Iron Man 3 and Avengers: Age of Ultron, and its $12.9 million haul signals good things to come for Ant-Man. The former went on to earn $120 million there, while the latter grossed $240 million.

:applause:

Comic book movies. Who would have ever thought it?

IM 3 had an opening day of $21MM in China and went on to do $120MM while AoU had a $34MM opening day on its way to $240MM. Using the 6-7x multiple those two did, A-M on track for $80-90MM in China. $500MM WW looks within reach.

Ant-Man Is Really Big In China

Ant-Man has climbed to the #1 spot at the international box office, thanks to an impressive $42.5 million three-day weekend in China.

Ant-Man has had a staggered international release. The film grossed $55.4 million in its previous international box office showing in 37 territories.

Bosco,

When are you going to update your chart? I love your charts.

:blush:

Thank you!

VT374UW.png

6t7DeiB.png

4KQ8nJ0.png

In checking the weekend dropoff rates, it is interesting to see Ant-Man now has the largest dropoff by Weeks 11 and 12.

hBLgnfH.png

Edited by Bosco685

One item I forgot to include was the comparison of Marvel Studios movies' weekend drop-off rate.

In checking the weekend drop-off rates, it is interesting to see Ant-Man now has the largest drop-off by Weeks 11 and 12.

hBLgnfH.png

One item I forgot to include was the comparison of Marvel Studios movies' weekend drop-off rate.

In checking the weekend drop-off rates, it is interesting to see Ant-Man now has the largest drop-off by Weeks 11 and 12.

hBLgnfH.png

If you're going to have a massive drop off you want it at the very end of your run where it simply doesn't matter. If you have a massive drop off early in your run then I think you're in trouble. Antman had a really solid run even in it's later stages it was putting up impressive numbers I thought which allowed it to overtake Cap 1 and almost overtake Thor.

If you're going to have a massive drop off you want it at the very end of your run where it simply doesn't matter. If you have a massive drop off early in your run then I think you're in trouble. Antman had a really solid run even in it's later stages it was putting up impressive numbers I thought which allowed it to overtake Cap 1 and almost overtake Thor.

Oh, I agree. That was why I created that comparison matrix since it was assumed Ant-Man would drop off the quickest. It actually did better than some of the heavy-hitters.

:applause:

hBLgnfH.png

after the 5th weekend, these % drop offs mean almost nothing. by then, 85-90% of the total domestic BO haul has already been taken in.

another $35MM from China this week, A-M will cross $500MM WW on Thurs or Fri.

Edited by paperheart

after the 5th weekend, these % drop offs mean almost nothing. by then, 85-90% of the total domestic BO haul has already been taken in.

Actually that's not complete accurate on the 5th weekend. If you look what Ant-Man brought in at the entire 5th week alone, that was an additional $8.4 MM. It may not seem like a large amount in the grade scheme. If Ant-Man had experienced a much larger weekly drop-off than the -32.6% it had, it would have definitely had an impact. And the follow-on weeks after that.

KOFGKAL.png

It appears after Week 8 the total week seemed to drop off in the domestic market, and by Weekend 10 is where the total weekend was less than seven digits. Weekends with seven-digit contributions do make an impact on the final total.

So no, even the 5th weekend had a huge impact for little old Ant-Man. And the overall 5th week itself was a huge benefit to the film.

Actually that's not complete accurate on the 5th weekend. If you look what Ant-Man brought in at the entire 5th week alone, that was an additional $8.4 MM. It may not seem like a large amount in the grade scheme. If Ant-Man had experienced a much larger weekly drop-off than the -32.6% it had, it would have definitely had an impact. And the follow-on weeks after that.

KOFGKAL.png

It appears after Week 8 the total week seemed to drop off in the domestic market, and by Weekend 10 is where the total weekend was less than seven digits. Weekends with seven-digit contributions do make an impact on the final total.

So no, even the 5th weekend had a huge impact for little old Ant-Man. And the overall 5th week itself was a huge benefit to the film.

after the 5th weekend, A-M had taken in 87% of what it would do in total. same with: Avengers 84%, AoU 90%, GOTG 83%, IM 3 91%, Cap: WS 91%, X-Men:DOFP 92%, etc. the tail after the 5th weekend is just not that important to these quick burn outs. none of these are Avatar or Titanic where they kept going and going and going.

Edited by paperheart

after the 5th weekend, A-M had taken in 87% of what it would do in total. same with: Avengers 84%, AoU 90%, GOTG 83%, etc. huge benefit, nope.

By the 5th weekend Ant-Man took in $5,493,417 (3.4% of its overall box office total at that point in time). I'd say that is still a healthy sum. So I have to disagree.

Edited by Bosco685

I don't go watching super-hero films at the cinema anymore.

Would Ant-Man be worth getting on Blu-ray?